CoinPeople.com

Scottishmoney's Scavengings

Scottishmoney

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My best guess is a medieval era bridge, perhaps dating to the time of the Crusades. This note was an extra included with my order from a seller in Lebanon.

It is a roman era bridge over the river Nahr el-Kalb (Dog River). Here's a link about the river:

Wiki - Link

and here is a photo: Photo that I got from the web. I couldn't find the actual name of the bridge, though.

• 6 months later...
LOL...I guess the most stable currency is that which is no longer worth anything. Thank you Ben Bernanke for taking us there...eventually! :ninja:

Actually he made an off the record comment before he became Chairman of the Fed about gold being the only investment that is really sound long term. So see even Ben doesn't have faith in dollars, at least in reality.

Actually he made an off the record comment before he became Chairman of the Fed about gold being the only investment that is really sound long term. So see even Ben doesn't have faith in dollars, at least in reality.

Regarding such a comment, I wonder if BB has to disclose whether he has a personal stake in gold? I'm also going to chuckle at AG and BB for their comments made about real estate (and now gold), and the inevitable backpedaling post-mortem--that they did not understand their role in these bubbles? :ninja:

Anyway...I won't get started here; this is the wrong forum to soapbox on these matters.

Regarding such a comment, I wonder if BB has to disclose whether he has a personal stake in gold? I'm also going to chuckle at AG and BB for their comments made about real estate (and now gold), and the inevitable backpedaling post-mortem--that they did not understand their role in these bubbles? :ninja:

Anyway...I won't get started here; this is the wrong forum to soapbox on these matters.

Bring it up in debates, but be willing to find not many in support of fiat currency here:)

• 4 weeks later...

charlesiimerk1680.jpg

The merk as pictured above was the most common silver Scottish coin from the reign of Charles II that circulated in Scotland. It was the equivalent of 13/4 or Thirteen Shillings, Four Pence and was the last vestige of the Merk reckoning used in Scotland for hundreds of years. Curiously the term "Quarter Dollar" was not used contemporaneously, but only as a reference much later on, so in effect it is not really accurate in describing these coins. This coin is S-5620 in Seaby and SC-21M-135 in Coincraft.

• 1 month later...

Haven't posted here in a while where do I begin?

How 'Bout more Scots booty for may hoard...

alexiii22ptss5056.jpg

SCOTLAND, Alexander III (1249-1286), Penny, 1.48g., 2nd Coinage, Class E, +ALEXANDER DEI GRA, crowned profile bust of King holding sceptre left, rev., REX SCOTORVM+, divided by a long cross, pierced mullet in each angle, 22 points (S.5056), this is another scarcer penny from an unknown smaller locale's mint. Ex JJ North.

maryryal1566.jpg

Ryal or 30/- or 360d 1565-1567, with tortoise climbing palm tree(the arms of Lord Darnley).

Here is an example of a coin with Mary's personal history being played out on the coinage, the inclusion of Lord Henry Darnley's name on the coin as her consort. In an age when it was viewed that a woman could not reign without a man, and a notably passionate woman, she would fall prey to suitors such as Lord Darnley, and later James Bothwell. This would play out tragically in 1567 with the murder of Lord Darnley, her being suspected of having some complicity, and then her unseemly hastened marriage to James Bothwell.

This particular coin was later referred to as a Crookestone Dollar allegedly referring to a Yew Tree in Crookestone Park where it was believed that Lord Darnley courted Queen Mary. But in fact, the tortoise climbing the palm tree is his arms, and doesn't refer to the park.

Nice penny Dave, good provenance too! I've two Alexander III pennies, not as nice as yours though and I don't know too much about mine.

Clive.

s5487.jpg

An example of an extremely rare coin, which was minted from 1582-1586 with the then having attained majority portrait of James VI. The legend IACOBUS 6 DEI GRATIA REX SCOTORUM translates as James 6 by the grace of God, King of Scots. The young king holds a sword, a symbol of his authority. The reverse of the coin has the Scottish arms, I R and XXX S for Thirty Shillings, the denomination of the coin. The legend around the reverse is HONOR REGIS IUDICUM DILIGIT 1586, which translates to The Kings power loveth judgement, unfortunately his son, Charles I would face that judgement in 1649. This coin is S-5487 in Seaby, and SJ630-025 in Coincraft. This coin is one of only three known examples of this coin that are dated 1586. Curiously this denomination would not be issued again until after James VI accessed the English throne in 1603, and portrays the king on horseback. This 30/- series was never minted in large numbers, but the earliest years ie 1582 etc. are obtainable and collectible, but the last two years, 1585 and 1586 are extremely rare because Edinburgh had suffered through a plague during those years and commercial interests and coin demand were quite low.

Provenance:

Ex J. G. Murdoch Collection, Part II, Sotheby, 11th-13th May 1903, lot 257.

Ex R.C. Lockett Collection, Glendining, 18th-19th June 1957, lot 380.

Ex Lucien La Riviere Collection, 29th March, 2006, lot 180.

jamesviryal1569.jpg

This one came just today, one of James VI's largest silver coins, this was originally issued in 1569 at 30/-, but the rising price of silver necessitated the coin being revalued in 1578 to 36/- at which value it saw a long circulation. This coin is the rough equivalent of an English Crown.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived