CoinPeople.com

Scottishmoney's Scavengings

Scottishmoney

sirakusa7.jpg

Sicily, Syracuse

Circa 410 BC. Hemi-Litron (3.21 gm; 18 mm x 14 mm). Head of Arethusa left, hair in ampyx and sphendone, in field right, laurel twig; whole in linear circle / SURA Dolphin right, below, pecten. Calciati II, 55, 24. SNG ANS 418. Choice EF and scarce.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

silver10yuan.jpg

Not the best image, scanned through the case it is in. I bought this in Guangzhou, and oh my God what a nightmare it was to buy. There was a coin dealer near the hotel that employed young ladies that spoke Cantonese only and they could not find the box for it. So the lady attempted to take it out of it's plastic case and squeeze it into a smaller box, just the coin, no case! At least she put on cotton gloves so she didn't add her fingerprints into the transaction. The frustrating part was trying to convey to her that I didn't care about the box, just the coin with the plastic case. So finally after a frustrating 15 minute attempt, she acquiesed and put the coin in a bigger box, too big, but didn't damage the coin.

These are commemorative coins for the Tang Dynasty Treasury Vault. The obverse of the coin has the seal from the Tang Dynasty, these were fascinating because of the link with ancient Chinese coinage.

gold10yuan.jpg

I saw this at the same time, but after the frustration of trying to buy the silver example, I decided to hold off on the 1/10th oz gold example til the following day, and another lady, friendlier and more accomodating for putting in a box of my choice :ninja:

With the upsurge in gold in the last few days, the gold coin is worth quite a bit more than I paid for it. Apparently they were a bit slow on updating spot prices for bullion. Now I kind of wish I bought the 50 gramme Beijing Olympic bar.

I have been slow to post these, just not a lot of time to do this stuff since I have been back. More to come soon, including Ching Dynasty coins, and paper money wonders.

Nice coins and an interesting story. Sometimes customer service can be a hastle for the customer too. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, like I hate coins in plastic, and usually don't think the high graded coins match the grade on the holder. But when I saw this MS63 I had to have it, it is a nice blast white coin with nice clean fields free of most bagmarks. And at the ridiculously low price our Doogy was asking for said piece, I had to plunge and buy it:

1885o.jpg

While I was scanning this, a certain somebody decided it should be hers instead. Well it was nice while it lasted.

• 2 months later...

Archived