Scottishmoney

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

920690.jpg

Received from Bel_jos this morn in the post, most interesting and much more diminutive than I suspected it to be. It is very curious in that it appears to have wear, from being handled, but given it's size it must have been a significant challenge to keep this piece in pocket or purse and not lose it. It is only 10mm or 1cm in diametre, amazingly small.

This medallet must have been manufactured ca. 1840 and is no doubt connected with the marriage of Prince Albert to Queen Victoria that year.

• 1 month later...
920690.jpg

Received from Belg_jos this morn in the post, most interesting and much more diminutive than I suspected it to be. It is very curious in that it appears to have wear, from being handled, but given it's size it must have been a significant challenge to keep this piece in pocket or purse and not lose it. It is only 10mm or 1cm in diametre, amazingly small.

This medallet must have been manufactured ca. 1840 and is no doubt connected with the marriage of Prince Albert to Queen Victoria that year.

Glad you like it :ninja:

Regards,

Jos

do you know what that is depicting? just wondering

Great notes BTW...you have instilled in me a greater appreciation of paper money.

My best guess is a medieval era bridge, perhaps dating to the time of the Crusades. This note was an extra included with my order from a seller in Lebanon.

• 1 month later...

From a trade with another CP'er, who got what he wanted a lot, and I got what I wanted more:

czechpromo.jpg

A promotional note from the Czech State Printing company, with a vignette of Alphonse Mucha 1860-1939, a Czech artist who at his prime was living in Paris and started a whole new genre of art. His biggest claim to fame for banknote collectors is the fact that he personally designed many of the earliest Czechoslovakian banknotes, the 10Kcs, 50 Kcs 500Kcs beginning in 1919. These notes are remarkable for their lovely designs and depictions of girls and ladies.

Archived