CoinPeople.com

Ebay: someone selling my medal

elverno

So, he is selling this medal, but using your medal and pics? You were able to edit his auction and add the verbage over the pics? Way to go. The other photo's are very blurry. They must be trying to hide something.

So, he is selling this medal, but using your medal and pics? You were able to edit his auction and add the verbage over the pics? Way to go. The other photo's are very blurry. They must be trying to hide something.

Actually it's his very audacity that's working against him. He's linked directly to my website, including the large images if you click on the pictures. So by changing the pic on my site it shows up on the Bay. Of course he's stealing my image, my verbage, the bandwidth and my patience all at one time. He's not the first but I've just given up on being reasonable... :ninja:

I wrote him and told him the use of my pictures was fraudulent since they weren't his medal. He gave me a sob story, that frankly looked like it was copy-n-pasted, about being a poor boy from the ghetto. That said he has over 300 eBay pluses which argues he's been selling for awhile at least. If he had 10 or 20 feedbacks I might have bought the story but unfortunately for him it was about the fifth story I'd heard in the past six months along the same theme.

I had one guy tell me that by putting my collection online I had surrendered my right to the pictures and their use. Fortunately eBay disagreed (one of the few times I've been impressed with their dispute people). But most times the Bay could care less, which is why I've decided to take direct action when the opportunity presents itself. :ninja:

I had one guy tell me that by putting my collection online I had surrendered my right to the pictures and their use.

Reason #1 why copyright notices go on just about all my images lately. I have had the same experience with people harvesting my images to sell stuff on eBay. I have also found my images on geneaology sites etc, without my permission.

I would have a little pity if he agreed to pull the images. But considering his response to you, I hope he doesn't notice until the auction is over. By the way, poor kids in the ghetto don't have Napoleonic medals. It would be nice if they did, but they just don't.

"Gee, I really thought my medal would go for more than that....wait a minute....What!!....why you &*%#$......"

A classic (both the medal and your response). By the way, if you don't want people doing this to you, you really shouldn't have such nice stuff.

Reason #1 why copyright notices go on just about all my images lately.  I have had the same experience with people harvesting my images to sell stuff on eBay.  I have also found my images on geneaology sites etc, without my permission.

Additionally, you can also use a watermark or some level of steganography (link).

Reason #1 why copyright notices go on just about all my images lately.  I have had the same experience with people harvesting my images to sell stuff on eBay.  I have also found my images on geneaology sites etc, without my permission.

Have you ever tried registering that copyright with the Feds?

I've seen a few examples where the person whose pictures were hijacked wasn't as nice and classy as you have been. Sorry you're having the problem.

I've used images from eBay and other sites and have always asked permission first. I've never had anyone refuse. Some have asked that the image be credited to them and I've done that.

Good job. Theft is theft, whether from your home or your website. Ebay has a responsibility to follow through as well. The link to your site is stupid. It proves the theft.

Good job! I love your response. Now I wish we had the secret CP cam hidden near his computer. I would love to see the facial expression. :ninja:

Good job. Theft is theft, whether from your home or your website. Ebay has a responsibility to follow through as well. The link to your site is stupid. It proves the theft.

Yes the theft is unsavory, and I agree with you. However what I see worse than elverno's passive wronging, is the active wronging against the potential buyer who is being knowingly misled as to what they are bidding on. -At least "who was being knowingly..." :lol:

I stumbled across a similar situation, a few months ago. I recognized the images and text a seller was using (it wasn't mine), looked at the URL they were hot-linking the images from, and even contacted the owners of the pictures (Chard's - aka 24karat.co.uk), but as far as I know, they did nothing to stop it.

Way to go, Vern !!! :lol:

That's funny :ninja:

I, like Henare, would NOT have been that nice, either.

Guys like this seller are nothing but scum.

However what I see worse than elverno's passive wronging, is the active wronging against the potential buyer who is being knowingly misled as to what they are bidding on. -At least "who was being knowingly..." :ninja:

I agree, but the sale isn't a theft of something from elverno. If the listing noted that the picture was not the medal being sold, it wouldn't change the fact that the picture was stolen even if the disclaimer made the sale legitimate. Elverno's response was excellent in that it removed himself from any complicity in the actual sale and he alerted potential buyers to the fact that they were about to be ripped off. Well done on both accounts.

Archived