CoinPeople.com

Sir Sisu's Slippery Slope

Sir Sisu

Thought to show one of the many Finn coins that I have recently purchased.

Sisu, I don't know much about Finnish coins, but I do know you are the master of them. So, I have some dumb question for you about this very handsome coin:

What do the legends say?

What mint does the "S" stand for?

Thanks, I'm just curious.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sisu, I don't know much about Finnish coins, but I do know you are the master of them. So, I have some dumb question for you about this very handsome coin:

What do the legends say?

What mint does the "S" stand for?

Thanks, I'm just curious.

I am definitely not the master (that title currently belongs to Tuukka Talvio - curator of the Coin Cabinet in the National Museum), but it is my main area of interest and collection. :ninja:

The legend roughly translates as "47.24 pieces from a pound of pure silver". It expresses the fineness in a "reverse" fashion. 47.24 two markkaa coins were made from one pound of silver. The pound in question is a unit of measurement no longer in use.

As for the "S", Finland follows the tradition of adding the initial of the mint master's surname in place of a mintmark. In this case the mintmaster was August Soldan.

Thank you Art.

Here are a couple of recent purchases. I have a few more, but my camera battery went dead and the rest will have to wait until tomorrow.

I have come to realize that besides the Scandinavian region, I have a strong affinity towards the coinage of South and Central America, particularly those of Central America and certain Caribbean nations. Coins of this region have become a strong focus of my current collecting efforts.

This one was the result of an error (wrong coin shipped) and will be upgraded in the future (because of the spots).

917697.jpg

This one has some weakness in the strike (noticeable in the vertical area from noon to 6), but since it is a clean non-baggy sample I am very pleased with it.

917698.jpg

This one has some weakness in the strike (noticeable in the vertical area from noon to 6), but since it is a clean non-baggy sample I am very pleased with it.

917698.jpg

The Guatemalan silver is quite pleasing - I am going to keep an eye out for one. I wish that design was used in a crown size. Looking through Krauss, I see only a few crown size silver coins from Guatemala.

The Guatemalan silver is quite pleasing - I am going to keep an eye out for one. I wish that design was used in a crown size. Looking through Krauss, I see only a few crown size silver coins from Guatemala.

I actually would like to see the design of the 25 centavos used on a crown. Either would be nice anyhow. ;) And yes the crowns are quite scarce, especially the one that I need for my crown-size collection. (I am not that interested in the modern proofs.) It will be a loooooooooong time before I ever get that quetzal. :ninja:

• 9 months later...

With a few exceptions, I have not done much purchasing in the past year. (Though I do plan on changing that soon, as I have returned to working life after a year of school. :ninja: ) I have been active with simple circulation finds, and here are a few from the past week. Euro finds:

Missing (and new) dates from Greece, Netherlands, Spain, Luxembourg, and others. €2 commem from Belgium (atom) and the 2007 from Netherlands.

Key dates from Finland:

€0.10 - 2003 and 2006

€0.20 - 2003, 05, and 06

€0.50 - 2003

The 2003 €0.20 is actually my second with the same error. For a low mintage figure, I was surprised to find a second one with the same die fatigue error. (see bottom of sword near hilt)

FIN2003_20cent.jpg

Welcome back Sisu. BTW I visited Sisuland back at the beginning of last month, well the one here in N. America anyway. :ninja:

Hah! For a moment there, I thought we missed you here. ;)

Found another FIN €0.20 2003, this one without the cud or whatever it is actually termed.

• 2 weeks later...
930635.jpg

930636.jpg

Interesting when you consider that both coins are dated 1908, the earlier monarch had been assassinated that year, then I believe his immediate successor died minutes later from the same bullet, so it was the year of three monarchs in Portugal. I am surprised that they would release coins with the first and third monarchs dated the same year, and not continue striking the previous monarchs coins until the new year, and then starting out with the new monarch on the 1909 coins. At any rate the third monarch was not long on the throne either as he was deposed in 1910 when Portugal became a republic.

Archived