CoinPeople.com

Sir Sisu's Slippery Slope

Sir Sisu

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two additions to my crown collection, though I did get diverted a bit to the 19th century.

This first one has defintely (and unfortunately) been dipped in some manner (or ultrasound perhaps?). It is, however, an example of a compromise that I am sometimes willing to make; relative to the decent grade and lack of distracting bagmarks for this somewhat uncommon piece, the purchase price was digestible. (I am pondering on how to now "improperly" store it with the hope of it recovering at least a modest tone to dull down the shine in order to look more like the coin below it. :ninja: ) Nonetheless, I am content with it. ;)

1895Haiti1gourdeF.jpg1895Haiti1gourdeB.jpg

1894Guatemala1pesoF.jpg1894Guatemala1pesoB.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Two more for the crown collection:

1949NewZealandcrownF.jpg

1949NewZealandcrownB.jpg

1927Chile5pesosF.jpg

1927Chile5pesosB.jpg

The Chilean piece is actually a slabbed piece. Though not intentional, I now have a slabbed coin from each of the big 3. (On a side note, the grade is much better than I would have given it. Either it was overgraded, it is in general a weak-strike issue, or I am way too harsh with my grading. :ninja: )

• 4 months later...
...This first one has defintely (and unfortunately) been dipped in some manner (or ultrasound perhaps?). It is, however, an example of a compromise that I am sometimes willing to make; relative to the decent grade and lack of distracting bagmarks for this somewhat uncommon piece, the purchase price was digestible. (I am pondering on how to now "improperly" store it with the hope of it recovering at least a modest tone to dull down the shine in order to look more like the coin below it. :ninja: ) Nonetheless, I am content with it. ;)

1895Haiti1gourdeF.jpg1895Haiti1gourdeB.jpg

Well, after six months on the top of my living room bookshelf (lying face down, no direct sunlight or anything like that), it seems that the 'exposed' surface after whatever type of treatment was done to it has reacted relatively quickly and the harsh shine is being calmed by some toning. I don't want it to tone much more. As I wrote above, I just hoped for the shine to dull down a bit. I turned the coin over a few weeks ago and will let it sit for another six months. Here are some new photos:

HaitiNOT.jpgHaitiTONED.jpg

Archived