CoinPeople.com

Sir Sisu's Slippery Slope

Sir Sisu

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nickel?  Is that something seperate than your set?  I thought you were only doing silver.

Probably on silver in the silver set. Then there's the copper-nickel set, the copper set, the brass set (oops! - careful here)..... :ninja:

Nickel?  Is that something seperate than your set?  I thought you were only doing silver.

This coin is not very big, and thus not for my crown set. As a side project to my crown set, I am working on an overall silver type set. At first I thought this was silver. However, even though this one is not silver, it just looked too good to pass up. :lol:

Probably on silver in the silver set. Then there's the copper-nickel set, the copper set, the brass set (oops! - careful here)..... :ninja:

Exactly! :cry:

One of these:

890748.jpg

(This is not the actual coin, but it is basically the same.)

It is the one commemorative that I hoard when I find it at a decent price. It is my favorite Finn commemorative if not my overall favorite commemorative.

It is my favorite Finn commemorative if not my overall favorite commemorative.

It is a nice one, any story behind the figure on the obverse?

It is a nice one, any story behind the figure on the obverse?

It even won the Coin of the Year award. The figure is Väinämöoinen and the coin commemorates the 150th year of the publication of the epic Kalevala in which he is the main protagonist.

There is an Epic of a story behind it. :lol: But, I think Harri is probably better versed in it than I. :ninja:

Probably so, but I think I will let Wiki do the talking. :cry:

Väinämöinen

For more on the Kalevala.

Yesterday I received the 2006 circulation coins for Finland. It is the first time that I have purchased normal current circulation coins outside of an official mint set.

Today was a nice bounty :ninja: :

2006 Germany 2€ Schleswig-Holstein

And then a few for my crown set:

Egypt 1968 pound - Aswan Dam

1968Egypt1poundF.jpg

1968Egypt1poundB.jpg

Egypt 1939 20 piastres:

1939Egypt20piastresF.jpg

1939Egypt20piastresB.jpg

Great Britain 1907 Trade Dollar:

1907GreatBritainTradeDollarF.jpg

1907GreatBritainTradeDollarB.jpg

The Egypt 1939 20 piastres has an added bonus of having a nice ornamented edge. (I added a Canadian cent as a size reference.):

1939edge2.jpg

1939edge.jpg

Was at an auction today and most of the items I was "after" finished above my max bids. However, I still picked up 2 small lots:

1923 German Notgeld - 10,000 marks Westfalen

A mixed lot of circulated European silver:

Hungary 1939 5 pengo

Yugoslavia 1938 50 dinara

Hungary 1879 1 forint

Belgium 1873 5 francs

France 1929 10 francs

It even won the Coin of the Year award. The figure is Väinämöoinen and the coin commemorates the 150th year of the publication of the epic Kalevala in which he is the main protagonist.

Probably so, but I think I will let Wiki do the talking. :ninja:

Väinämöinen

For more on the Kalevala.

Synchronisity. I'm taking Cheri on a deferred Valentine's night out on Friday. After the Mozart piano concerto they are performing :

Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Legends

"Inspired by the Finnish epic Kalevala, Sibelius illustrates four adventures of the rakish hero Lemminkäinen. We witness his search for female companionship, quest to slay the Swan of Tuonela, sojourn in the land of the dead and, at last, a dramatic trip home."

Synchronisity.  I'm taking Cheri on a deferred Valentine's night out on Friday.  After the Mozart piano concerto they are performing :

Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Legends

"Inspired by the Finnish epic Kalevala, Sibelius illustrates four adventures of the rakish hero Lemminkäinen. We witness his search for female companionship, quest to slay the Swan of Tuonela, sojourn in the land of the dead and, at last, a dramatic trip home."

Nice! The Swan of Tuonela is perhaps the best known movement of that suite. It is a good one! I hope you enjoy it.

Another silver crown coin came today, this time inside a NGC slab -my first ever slab. (Thanks kuhli for your help :ninja: ) I purchased it with plans to crack it out, but it is such an interesting piece of novelty in a non-slabbing collecting environment, I am tempted to keep it intact.

This week has been a busy yet plentiful one. I have not been able to image and upload everything but here is a few for starters. I hope to get to some more tomorrow.

I received 2 (2005 and 2006) Italian €2 commems from tabbs. :ninja:

Today I received a returned X-mas letter that I sent to Palma. He is obviously no longer at his old address.

Here is one for the crown collection:

1911ElSalvador1colonB.jpg

1911ElSalvador1colonF.jpg

And here are the 2 coins that I am unsure about (see my thread in the main Coin forum).

Columbia obverse

Columbia reverse

China obverse

China reverse

I will try and get the others imaged tomorrow.

This 200 soles from Peru I had already ordered before it got cut from my list after I revised the specifications for the crowns that I will collect. I may just inlcude it though as the diameter is very close to the average crown size. It got cut because its weight is 22g and not the minimum 23g that I decided on.

909036.jpg

The portraits on the reverse, while boring in design, have a high relief. It is almost like a medal.

This 200 soles from Peru I had already ordered before it got cut from my list after I revised the specifications for the crowns that I will collect. I may just inlcude it though as the diameter is very close to the average crown size. It got cut because its weight is 22g and not the minimum 23g that I decided on.

The portraits on the reverse, while boring in design, have a high relief. It is almost like a medal.

It's nice and yeh, I can see from the pic that the portraits are high relief - I have always liked that Peruvian obverse.

Archived