CoinPeople.com

First Lady Gold bullion

Dockwalliper

Will you purchase the Frist lady gold bullion coins when they show up in 2007?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Will you purchase the Frist lady gold bullion coins when they show up in 2007?

• No, Wouldn't spend a nickel on those hags.
    • Nah, Its a dumb idea.
    • Maybe, There could be some rarities in there.
    • Yeah, I have my eyes on ....... She's my favorite First Lady.
    • Yes, a full set will be the driving force for the next ten years

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

< Quick trivia: Who was the only bachelor president?

Chester A. Arthur

BZZZZ Sorry wrong answer. Chester A Arthur was not a bachelor, he was a widower.

James Buchanan was our only bachelor president.

Here is a picture of Mrs Arthur, she died the year before her husband took office.

3a53343r.jpg

Here's the Wiki page on the bachelor president. Of course they have to speculate on his sexual orientation :ninja:

Now here's a tough one: Who was the only bachelor vice president?

Google is cheating ;)

I voted Nah, Its a dumb idea. Some of them do deserve commemoratiion.

Dolley Madison is perhaps underappreciated for the social grace that she brought to the White House. Not that Martha Washtingon lacked any, but that Dolley Madison made the executive Mansion worthy of its duties. "Dolley's social graces made her famous. Her political acumen, prized by her husband, is less renowned, though her gracious tact smoothed many a quarrel. Hostile statesmen, difficult envoys from Spain or Tunisia, warrior chiefs from the west, flustered youngsters--she always welcomed everyone. "

Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy also qualifies for the same reasons. Her ability to speak French and Spanish, and her interest in the arts, were important to the White House and the nation. According to the biography of John Kennedy by Theordore Sorenson, JFK regarded her as an advisor, equal to his others. Those old enough to remember the Kennedy Administration, might know a parody recording called The First Family. On one track you hear quiet social noises from a large crowd and a vocie announces "Senior Pablo Casals...." and about five or six more from the headlines, Leonard Bernstein, Nobel Prize winners, Pablo Picasso, and so on. The voice of President Kennedy played by Vaughn Meader says quietly, "Jackie, why do we always entertain your friends?"

Then there is the Evil First Lady, Darth Eleanor Roosevelt. If you accept the conceptual framework of our constitutional republic, and if you accept the premise that America "had to defend itself in World War II" and if you think that the government "had to so something the Depression" then you have to admit that Eleanor Roosevelt was the single most politically powerful First Lady. For 15 years, we had not a President, but two Co-Presidents. Hate her for her politics if you must (and I do), but you have to give her her due.

Of the two Mrs. Wilsons, Edith Boling Galt is the one remembered by history. "Secret President," "first woman to run the government" -- so legend has labeled a First Lady whose role gained unusual significance when her husband suffered prolonged and disabling illness. ... She selected matters for her husband's attention and let everything else go to the heads of departments or remain in abeyance. Her "stewardship," she called this.

(All biographies from http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/firstladies/)

If the topic interests you, go to the White House website for First Ladies and read about them. You may have nonimations of your own.

However, what I voted "Nah." to was that collectively, they are just Mrs. President. So, too, are many of the men merely Mr. President. Perhaps I wrong Zachary Taylor, Millard Filmore or William Henry Harrison, but not all the men deserve coins, either. It is a famous quip that when she heard that Calvin Coolidge had died, Dorothy Parker asked, "How could they tell?"

Now, I am willing to reconsider. JOHN ADAMS has been called the "underappreciated genius." For example, did you know that it was John Adams who defended the British soldiers who committed the Boston Massacre. It hurt his career, but he was determined that they get a fair trial. That took courage. Much of his life was like that, apparently, but he was overshadowed by two other titans: Washington and Jefferson.

So, my longwinded proposition is that SOME deserve a commemorative coin, but I am philosophically opposed to collectively honoring "everyone" for the achievements of a few. Honor the achievers.

These will be 1/2 oz 99.99 fine gold. With gold around $500 what do you figure the mints price will be?

$300?....$400?

I think the absurdity of commemorating the First Ladies in addition to the rise of gold prices may ultimately conspire to make this series bomb.

I think they have them currently priced for $250. But with gold prices ever changing, i'm sure it won't stay at that price.

With gold over $500, they won't be selling 1/2 oz of gold for $250. And remember this isn't like the UGE bullion coins, these will be considered "commemoratives" to be sold to collectors for a profit. I would think $350 for the Uncs and $450 for Proofs. So you want the whole set you are talking around $35,000 for the set assuming the price of gold stays about where it is for eleven years. ($3,200 per year just for these coins, forget about all the rest of the coins the mint will be selling each year.)

With gold over $500, they won't be selling 1/2 oz of gold for $250.  And remember this isn't like the UGE bullion coins, these will be considered "commemoratives" to be sold to collectors for a profit.  I would think $350 for the Uncs and $450 for Proofs.  So you want the whole set you are talking around $35,000 for the set assuming the price of gold stays about where it is for eleven years.  ($3,200 per year just for these coins, forget about all the rest of the coins the mint will be selling each year.)

The mint is back to the bad old days of the classic commems that caused the whole program to die out. Now that the two per year limit isn't enough they've decided to invade the "bullion" area.

I dont have any gold yet. I dont want to be my first piece to be of some first lady.

Saving yourself for marriage?

You could find a frisky little coin that is not looking for a relationship, perhaps a $5 gold half eagle, such as this lassie:

http://coins.heritagegalleries.com/common/...394&Lot_No=5145

... just for instance. There are many fish in the sea...

Something you could own and sell for a small profit and buy another. I did that many times.

This is my "significant other." We have been together for over five years. She cost about 60% over bullion, a cheap date and fun to be with.

I found this in the House record......

Rep. Maloney NY......

" I am also proud of the bill's provision for also honoring each first spouse. The bill provides for these to be issued both as gold bullion collectors items and also in a bronze version, making them more accessible to school children and the public."

From the bill......

``(8) BRONZE MEDALS.--The Secretary may strike and sell

bronze medals that bear the likeness of the bullion coins author-

ized under this subsection, at a price, size, and weight, and

with such inscriptions, as the Secretary determines to be appro-

priate.

I found this in the House record......

Rep. Maloney NY......

" I am also proud of the bill's provision for also honoring each first spouse. The bill provides for these to be issued both as gold bullion collectors items and also in a bronze version, making them more accessible to school children and the public."

From the bill......

``(8) BRONZE MEDALS.--The Secretary may strike and sell

bronze medals that bear the likeness of the bullion coins author-

ized under this subsection, at a price, size, and weight, and

with such inscriptions, as the Secretary determines to be appro-

priate.

At a price the Secretary determines to be appropriate, yep, too high.

• 1 year later...

When I get out of college (and work for a while and mooch off my engineer husband), I'm planning to buy at least one of the Golden Eagle bullion just to have it for its beauty. In my opinion:

1) The presidential series as well as the First Lady series are both fugly, and though I will be collecting the presidents (mostly just to be adding something to my collection in my college career ;) ), there is no way I will ever buy any of the First Ladies.

2) I can understand a series of circulated coins sparking interest in collectors and non-collectors alike (the SQs and probably to a much lesser degree, the Presidents), but making a series in something so expensive (and rapidly growing in value) has no other option than to be a complete flop, at least among those of us that can't afford those million-dollar-jewel-encrusted-cell-phones

(http://estates.luxist.com/2006/12/11/the-m...phones-of-2006/) I'm afraid they'll end up scrapping the process 1/4 the way through (too many designs, too little interest) and melt them down to make more pretty Eagles.

Oh, well, in that case maybe I should buy one of each... :ninja:

Archived