CoinPeople.com

Do You Have a Pocket Coin?

Scottishmoney

I do have a "coin" that I carry around with me in my purse at all times. Its not a spendable coin. Bobby's grandma gave it to me....its an angel coin.

I have something similar I carry in my purse. A friend sent me an angel coin with my name on it and I have cerried it in my purse ever since I got it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have shoe wheaties!  One wheatie each in ma penny loafers.  Every time I get new loafers I have to transfer the pennies.  Been wearing those pennies about 20 years now.

:ninja: How strange am I--nobody else does this?!? Used to be all the rage to have pennies in your penny loafters.

Hmmm...seems some of us are a little superstitious, huh? ;)

• 3 months later...

Anyone have some updates on their pocket piece? Lose it? Spend it? Get a new one?

My 2006 ASE has only left my pocket to switch from pants to pants. Starting to get some scratches from banging against the rest of my change. The "frost" or whatever the finish is called is starting to go away.

Still got my BiCen Ike but I added a Commem Medal that I came across a few months back. I origionally found the medal in the street by my home 30 years ago, it was new then but really scratched and dinged up. Its been in a box in my closet since. When I came across it again I recalled GPNYCs post here and thought that a little wear might improve this piece too. Its a 175 yr anniversary of the city of Baltimore medal.

Some of the sharper dings are starting to wear.

I just added a bicent Kennedy today. It had a rather large scratch across the obverse, figured it would wear down and not be noticeable after a few years.

I carry my Bicent Ike because when I was young and dumb I used it as a Pog Slammer. For those of you that don't know what that is, I basicaly used to throw it at the ground on a daily basis. Needless to say the edges were pretty jacked. After having it as a pocket piece for only a couple months the edges have started to smooth nicely.

-Bobby

I carry my Bicent Ike because when I was young and dumb I used it as a Pog Slammer. For those of you that don't know what that is, I basicaly used to throw it at the ground on a daily basis. Needless to say the edges were pretty jacked. After having it as a pocket piece for only a couple months the edges have started to smooth nicely.

-Bobby

I never thought of using a nickel dollar as a slammer, that would had been pretty cool. I just used those brass/steel ones. (Or ocassionally, a heavy plastic one)

In my earlier posting I had said that I lost the 2004 ASE pocket piece, well, I found it in my couch sometime in February. :ninja:

In the absence I started using a 1986 unc Liberty silver dollar.

Except, it's a heavy one ounce coin that I wouldn't really like to carry around in my pocket...

It's not so bad. I have about 1.4/1.5oz in my pocket right now. It evens out with my wallet in the other pocket I guess :ninja:

Anyone have some updates on their pocket piece? Lose it? Spend it? Get a new one?

My 2006 ASE has only left my pocket to switch from pants to pants. Starting to get some scratches from banging against the rest of my change. The "frost" or whatever the finish is called is starting to go away.

Yes, I updated with a couple of Peace dollars. The first was a '24 plain I bought from someone and stuck in my watch pocket. I had a great day's sales with that one in my pocket and started taking it with me every weekend. Then I got a '27plain Peace dollar and it has brought the same kind of luck.

This is a piece I wish I had not kept as a pocket coin and just stashed away.  :ninja:

910397.jpg

Nice image. I've had a few similar pieces, including one of the Ascension. Nice coins.

Does that count? :ninja:

It sure does!

Interesting we don't have those in the US (or not in any market I've been to). Probably save a whole lot of cars from door dings due to shopping carts. My car is a like a magnet for those.

This is a piece I wish I had not kept as a pocket coin and just stashed away.  :ninja:

910397.jpg

What is that thingy? Bee-oot-ee-full!

It sure does!

Interesting we don't have those in the US (or not in any market I've been to). Probably save a whole lot of cars from door dings due to shopping carts. My car is a like a magnet for those.

They are now selling tokens to replace the £1 needed for the trolleys, in the name of charity. Who knows, they may become collectable in the future!?! :ninja:

They are now selling tokens to replace the £1 needed for the trolleys,  in the name of charity. Who knows, they may become collectable in the future!?! :ninja:

They definitely are collectable in the Netherlands.

Some stores have their own token, which you can purchace there. But, most are being given away by other companies, as promotional material.

They have the size of a €0.50 coin

There's already a website dedicated to them (in dutch...)

On the entry page, click in the top menu "Algemeen" (Common) and then "Fotogalerij" (photo galery :lol: )

There's also a whole trading section on this site, a store where one can order tokens (they have a selection of more than 100 tokens from The Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom)

Archived