CoinPeople.com

Do You Have a Pocket Coin?

Scottishmoney

They have the size of a €0.50 coin

Right, and of course, when the euro cash came, the Dutch and German shopping cart coin slots had to be different yet again. :ninja: Having to use (with few exceptions only) a €1 piece in DE, and a 50 ct piece in NL, drives me nuts. And even most plastic or metal tokens work in one country alone. Welcome to Europe ...

Christian

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry around a Chinese (although made in Korea) charm of the period 1880-1895. It has 12 characters around the edge on both sides, and 4 characters in the middle. Of course, there is a story to go with it. The charm came from the inside of a violin, that was in the attic of a house for more than 40 years. The old house owners did not know anything about the violin when the new owners checked with them. The new owners had the violin checked out at a violin shop, and then the charm made itself known. The people didn't want the charm particularly, so the shop owner saved the piece for me- he knew I was interested in things Chinese. I spent the better part of 2 hours looking up the words in my stroke count dictionary, and finally translated it as "For 100,000 years may you enjoy the heavens above and earth below, and the bright light light of the sun and the moon."/ "For 10,000 years may you prosper, without reverse for even one year."

The inner circle's writing refers to the oldest son of a family as crown prince or as emperor. I have carried this piece around fr more than 20 years. It has worn somewhat, and also coloured quite nicely.

• 9 months later...
Now this could be a neat pocket piece. :ninja:

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/02/07/coin.html

Christian

aum0085s.jpg

One of the Austrian €100,000 coins that they site in the article was up for sale on eBay last fall, it didn't make reserve, which must have been over $500,000 as the bidding stopped there. It had 1000 troy oz. If the RCM makes this $1,000,000 coin with 100 kilograms of gold, you are looking at a coin with 3215 troy oz. of gold.

I have several that I use (I keep them separate from my 'spending' coins), including a 1979-D SBA that I have carried since 1979, 2000-P Sac, a Canadian Loonie and Twonie and some assorted country Euro coins, €0.01 up to €1 (the German €1 is my 'souvenir' of the west winning the Cold War). I'll likely throw a Washington Presidential $1 in when I get some later this week and I'm still looking for a duplicate €2 to toss in.

I know, it is a lot, but they do interest me.

:ninja:

Mike

Archived