CoinPeople.com

The new $10 note

jtryka

I just read an article in Coin World that the new redesigned series 2004A $10 FRN is scheduled to be introduced at Ellis Island on Sept. 28, so in a couple weeks we'll see what the BEP came up with! They expect the notes to enter circulation in 2006. The new $100 will be next, with no redesign scheduled for the $1, $2 or $5.

• 2 weeks later...
The front looks very nice, but the back is ehhh.

Front is great, reverse is.......eh.

LOLz

I guess I agree with you guys. The back looks like they cut the Treasury out of the old bill and pasted it on a new orange bill.

-Bobby

Beautiful design, except for the little yellow "10's" on the front-left and back-right - looks like swarms of bees.

Can't wait to see what they do with the $100.

On another note, I wish they would consider a $250 and/or $500 denomination in the future.

LOLz

I guess I agree with you guys. The back looks like they cut the Treasury out of the old bill and pasted it on a new orange bill.

-Bobby

Oh man, my girlfriend said that same thing. She loves the front but said the back looked like the mint was too tired and just threw something together.

On another note, I wish they would consider a $250 and/or $500 denomination in the future.

I don't think they would ever come out with a $250 note since there is absolutely no historical basis for this, and our government is not really good with new ideas. Certainly a $500, $1000, $5000 or $10000 are possible, but I think it is the governement's position that anything larger than $100 makes criminals' lives too easy (that's from a BEP official I spoke with at the Portland ANA).

By the way, a point of clarification, the mint had nothing to do with this design as all paper currency is designed and produced by the BEP.

Beautiful design, except for the little yellow "10's" on the front-left and back-right - looks like swarms of bees....

This is actualy a security feature IIRC. Newer scanners and copiers are programmed to recognise this and not copy it :ninja: Its the 0s that it recognises. They are on the new $20 and $100s also. Also other countries have these on their notes. I have never tested it but would be interesting to see what they do.

Also ther ewas a post recently that had some examples of this, I will try to find it.

-Bobby

I don't think they would ever come out with a $250 note since there is absolutely no historical basis for this.

Actually, there is. Think Quarter Eagle. That's what made me think of $250 and not $200.

I just don't think you could make that leap. A quarter eagle was an odd denomination at $2.50, but to just multiply by 100 to come up with a $250 bill in weak at best. I know the euroland has a 250 note, but just think of the confusion by average Americans of thinking in terms of a $250 bill, we already have sad cases of people taking gag $200 novelty notes, it would just be very confusing. In addition, I doubt there are many people alive today who could even relate to a quarter eagle in commerce, much less make the connection to a $250 bill.

There are a lot of historical precedents, for $3, $4 bills, even fractional notes, but these will not likely ever be used again. Some larger denominations like the $500 or $1000 might make some sense, but given the American school system, the last thing the Fed or BEP would want to do is introduce something that could somehow relate to fractions (i.e. I have this bill which is worth 2 1/2 of the next lower denomination). You just have to keep it in whole numbers to make the math easy (it's sad, I know). Still the main reason, and the one quoted to me by the BEP official when I asked this was that higher denominations make crimes too easy, hence the $100 will be the biggest for a while to come. Maybe it will change someday, but I doubt it will until we either experience hyperinflation, or until criminals deside to switch to Euros.

Archived