CoinPeople.com

I'm lovin' Lincoln Contest...ENDED

Ok, so I lied. I will have a contest over the weekend. This one is strictly for the Lincoln lovers. I have a little packet here of I don't know 15 -20 pre-1940 wheaties to give away. The earliest is a 1916 I think. All circulated.

Tell me something interesting about Lincoln/or the wheaties.

Tell me why you love Lincolns.

Ends Monday at oh say 6pm CST.

Then I'll tell you who wins.

The only reason why I love za Lincolns is because he's on a penny and he's red hot!!!

And when he isn't and gets dull, oh well, he deserves to be burnt and turn either brown or black. And if that isn't enough, you can throw him in the pond and turn him green. ;)

Well, I do have a pile of corroded Lincolns because people just love to give them to me... :ninja:

Always loved Lincolns since I was a child and lived near the railway where I could put them on a rail and flatten them nicely. ;-)

I can still remember walking 6 miles in the snow, uphill bothways, to vote for Lincoln. Of course, we're talking about his second term here. Even I am not old enough to have voted for his first term.

The excitement sitting around the candle in our simple log cabin waiting for the election results to come in. Of course, CNN hadn't been invented yet, so we had to rely on the NY Times for our information. (It's ok that CNN hadn't been invented because neither had TV or radio).

OH the joy at the announcement of Abe's victory. Dancing in the bars - they had that anyway. Fireworks in the streets - ditto. Or was it fireworks in the bars and dancing in the streets.

Never mind!

I love Lincoln's! I collect them because they remind me of Saturday afternoons as a child sorting rolls of pennies with my Dad. Then he would get out my late uncles Lincoln collection to look at. My uncle collected the set from circulation in the early sixties, so the keys weren't there, but it was a nice set and the mid-thirties Philly coins were still red. I now own that set and have completed it, but it is still so much fun to look through pennies. It's like they are a part of my past.

I found a site quite a while ago when researching wheat pennies that was interesting to me because I didn't realize there was so much history behind them. I was awful in school and know nothing about history because I couldn't be bothered with it then. Anyway, I found it interesting that the wheat penny was designed by a gentleman from Lithuania who had escaped being sent to Siberia by authorities in his country and made his way to America. The issue of his initials on the coin (V.D.B.)in 1909, the removal of them and then allowing them to reappear again in 1918. All of the events that occurred during the wheat pennies circulating life from World War 1 to the attack on Pearl Harbour, the introduction of steel pennies to aid the war effort, There seems to be so many things that occurred and can be tied into the wheat penny. The first of its denomination to show the inscription "IN GOD WE TRUST", whats not to love about something so small and simple yet so full of stories of historical events. I live in Canada and have approx. 12 pounds of American cents because I can't seem to part with them, "only pennies" no they all hold a bit of history. Lincoln, well the guy just looks so distinguished whats not to like about him. I'm not an expert on US coins, I just like them and the coppers are the best! ;) My Canadian pennies always end up back in the bank. :ninja:

I love Wheaties because if you put plenty of sugar and 2% on them they taste really good.  :ninja:

;)  ;)  :lol:  :cry:  :D

Don't forget the bananas--you guys always make me so hungry! :D

Who do I like Lincoln's (especially wheaties)? They were the first coins I could collect that had very small financial value but I still thought they were neat. Grandpa would always get me a few lower grade ones, around F or lower, at each coin show we went to (when I was about oooooo 8 or 9). From then on I always had, I guess you can call it, a "thing" for wheaties.

Archived