CoinPeople.com

Silver

Art

So silver, my favorite metal, is at 16.48 on September 9. In some ways that's terrific. In others not so terrific. I've been trying to put away a bit of silver every month. Mostly in the form of silver coins in my folder collections. Coins that I can get at spot +/- a few cents. The ones that I don't need I put in some tubes for future use. Maybe hold and then sell to buy something I really like but normally couldn't afford.

According to the conversion charts some of my favorite US coin values are moving way up.

Dimes have approx $1.20 in silver in them.

Quarters $2.98.

etc.

I built a spreadsheet to do the calculations for some of my world coins too. Most of what I have are British 6d and 3d. A few florins and some 2 shillings. But they're all getting to be worth more and more.

How is this effecting your collecting/hoarding?

Doesn't affect me in any significant way. The coins I collect have values substantially higher than melt. What is $3 more on a $150 coin.

$153.

Doesn't affect me in any significant way. The coins I collect have values substantially higher than melt. What is $3 more on a $150 coin.

$153.

:ninja:;);) I love your sense of humor.

I have a Whitman 9" x 2" case packed tight with silver dimes, quarters and halves from the 1930's and 1940's that I inherited when my aunt died at 99. Most grade VF+ and there are no keys. All are in 2x2 mylar flips, two to a flip.

Every time we visited her I asked to look at her coins and she never forgot that. My sisters could care less about "stupid old coins".

Whenever silver goes up I mean to list some of them on eBay, but I kind of like having that heavy case filled with silver. It's reassuring in some way.

There were also about two dozen Morgan and Peace dollars but a Brooklyn babysitter helped herself to those years ago... :ninja:

Last year I bought a whole load of junk silver, I've been accumulating it for some time. There seems to be less bags of scrap silver around though and as it's gone up my inclination to buy it has kind of lessened.

I just can't get hold of how much gold has shot up though, silver's rise seems modest in comparison, i'm sure it's not really the case, but gold coins I could afford in 2003 are way out of my budget now!

Back in 2002 I used to be able to buy earlier reign half guineas for less than 300 GBP, now the same coins are selling for 1,300 GBP! They are way, way out there way beyond my reach. I hope someone drops a whole load of gold on the market sometime soon so the prices crash back to their 1999 levels! Chance would be a fine thing indeed...

I hope someone drops a whole load of gold on the market sometime soon so the prices crash back to their 1999 levels! Chance would be a fine thing indeed...

Well, we cannot ask Gordon Brown any more... :ninja:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle1654931.ece

Last year I bought a whole load of junk silver, I've been accumulating it for some time. There seems to be less bags of scrap silver around though and as it's gone up my inclination to buy it has kind of lessened.

I just can't get hold of how much gold has shot up though, silver's rise seems modest in comparison, i'm sure it's not really the case, but gold coins I could afford in 2003 are way out of my budget now!

Back in 2002 I used to be able to buy earlier reign half guineas for less than 300 GBP, now the same coins are selling for 1,300 GBP! They are way, way out there way beyond my reach. I hope someone drops a whole load of gold on the market sometime soon so the prices crash back to their 1999 levels! Chance would be a fine thing indeed...

I can certainly sympathize, US double eagles in MS-62 to MS-63 used to sell for $350, now they are easily $1,500, and unfortunately for me I still need some of the keys which cost even more! Lucky when I bought the keys back in 2003 and 2004 were going for what the common dates are going for now! I knew I should have bought more of them! And you're right about silver, it's still about $3 from it's high last year, or about 18%, while gold is within 2% of its high.

Archived