CoinPeople.com

Is it time to start melting...

jtryka

...Pennies?!? With the price of copper now at a record $1.71 per pound, the value of the copper in pre-1982 cents is now greater than face value. In fact about 153 pennies makes a pound of copper, which is now worth $1.71. How long before we see all the old Lincoln cents disappear from circulation? Do any of you save them? I admit, I put all my copper cent in a jar and get rid of the zinc ones (though I am not as bad as my uncle who throws the zinc cents out into the driveway so the lime from the gravel eats them to nothing :ninja: ).

Never is a good time to melt coins. I never understood the idea of melting 90% silver coins. The coin premium beats the cost of refining, and the whole point of hoarding precious metal coins is to have real money ready to spend in the event that the currency tanks.

Melting coins is a waste of money, in more ways than one.

Just break into new housing developments and tear the new copper pipes out of the walls and sell that.

Easier then melting pennies, and much more fun! :ninja:

Apperently, one of the very few reasons to remelt coins is because either a) they are totally beaten up to scrap, or else ;) the mint is too lazy to fix the metal alloy proportion. :ninja:

But yes, (or option c) there were times of the precious metal crisis, and I know that quite a lot of world coins were sadly melted down because of the scare of "limited quantities". ;)

Just break into new housing developments and tear the new copper pipes out of the walls and sell that.

Easier then melting pennies, and much more fun! :ninja:

My first job out of high school I worked for a plumbing contractor, we would get calls from older folks complaining about their hot water heaters, and how they wanted to get a newer one. My boss smiled with glee at the prospect of selling a $150 water heater, $75 service call, and a $200 value scrap water heater from the 1930's coming back on the truck.

On melting coins.

Many coin collector's get a bit upset when coins are melted down, i find it quite a good thing, meltdowns create rarities. Meltdowns keep thing interesting. If 1917 London mint sovereigns hadn't been melted down by the US government then we'd be swamped out with them, as it is, it's now the case that any 1917 London mint sovereign you see is most likely to be fake as very, very few have survived. I've certainly never seen one. Always wondered how many survived a few hundred, a few dozen, a few?

Archived