CoinPeople.com

Littleton Coin Company

Uncle Charlie

Say whatever you want about the place, just make sure you say something. I would like to get a conversation started on this very well known topic. " Is littleton overpriced, high quality, get-what-you-pay-for, friendly good customer service, or just plain rip-off sales men." Just post what's on your mind folks and if anyone has got any good littleton coin company ads please let us know. Post the dept. # and see if any one thinks those ads are worthy, 'I've gotten some pretty good deals in the past!'

LOGO

LCC%20Logo_Color_V_tmb.jpg

COMPANY

CofCmember28.jpg

i'm not sure they explicitly prey on anyone ... they are, in a sense, more accessible to the average joe than your average coin dealer ...

they do have occasional loss leader deals that can work out nicely, but i'm not really sure they're a good regular source for collector coins.

I have been told by a trusted source that if you send them coins they will cherrypick the best and return the rest with a check that may disappoint.

That big fancy white building didn't build itself. As always, be careful out there. :ninja:

the only good thing about that company is the quality of their coins... Their prices are out of this world... They hook people in by sending coins on "approval" like the book or cd clubs in magazines... I always tell people I can get them the same coins that they get from littleton for half the price

I bought some ancient Indian coin from them when I was a kid, the coin was nice, and one of those "loss leaders" and I still have it somewhere. I was put off by the "coins on approval" thing and having to send them back at my expense. I stopped that pretty quick and never bought from them again. They have their place in the market, and that they do well. They serve collectors that could not otherwise get coins easily. They do sell nice stuff, but at a firm price. Any advanced collector easily finds less prohibitive means of growing their collections.

I'm not surprised at the responses. What I'm surprised about is that Lostdutchman said that the sealed bag they come in are not any good for your coins. Tell me why they aren't, I personally think they're airtight and might actually help your coins in the long term.

PVC, polyvinylchloride, reeks havoc on coins, it is a petrol based chemical used as a plasticizer.

Those holders over time do leach the PVC and i don't particularly want to sell a coin to someone in my competitors packaging.... especially when I just sold it for half of what the original owner paid for it....

Matt, they are not up to being your competition. :ninja:

Thanks for the kind words :ninja:

but seriously.... if anyone on this board is buying from these people.... i highly recommend that you stop right away.

Right away is not strong enough. Should be immediately.

They are known for high prices, horribly constructed Albums, habit of sending you stuff you may not want in hopes you'll just accept it, Very overpriced, irroneous grades on thier products. Other than that, not sure.

I hate to be the contrarian (NOT!) but I've purchased from Littleton and have no problem saying so. They have delivered what they said they would and in a timely manner. Most of my purchases have been things like the ASE specials. Low price, nice packaging, and usually $2.00 below melt/current pricing. You have to get coins sent to you on approval. I've always gotten the max number of ASE's etc. and then when the first approval arrives, either purchase it if it's a good deal or reject it. At that time I always tell them to cancel the service and I've never had a problem with them.

Also I have a few Littleton albums and other than the green color, I like them.

That is true. Im not saying every thing they do is bad... and are that is the perfect example where they can provide coins at a decent price... but don't forget to cancel your "subscription" for lack of a better word. I am just not really a big fan of the other coins that they send for approval...

Archived