CoinPeople.com

CoinPeople Basics

Art

Just a reminder that the true value of CoinPeople is the people. WE DO NOT ATTACK each other here. It's fine to disagree with someone but it's done in a polite and reasonable fashion. Many forums have failed because they have allowed these personal attack approach to begin and escalate.

I've removed Jeff's thread about quitting coin collecting because some of the responses were getting far afield of the spirit of CoinPeople. Jeff sorry if this doesn't fit well with you. Please restart the thread if you desire.

Just a reminder that the true value of CoinPeople is the people. WE DO NOT ATTACK each other here. It's fine to disagree with someone but it's done in a polite and reasonable fashion. Many forums have failed because they have allowed these personal attack approach to begin and escalate.

I've removed Jeff's thread about quitting coin collecting because some of the responses were getting far afield of the spirit of CoinPeople. Jeff sorry if this doesn't fit well with you. Please restart the thread if you desire.

Art, I agree with your opinion and with your action on the matter.

I think this was a prudent measure, I was saddend to see some of the antagonistic responses. This is a positive community and should be maintained it that way so its integrity is not compromised.

Hmm, a fella goes away to Houston w/o his computer for a week and everything goes to heck on his favorite site.

Although I didn't see Jeff’s thread, I have been distressed as of late by the devolution of the discourse in the coin forums, by that I mean personal attacks and general nastiness and antagonism towards fellow coinpeeps. Remember, we are numismatists not, “talk back a—holes” and we should be better then that.

I’m not here to judge, I have been a jerk myself in these forums, I am just reiterating the values of our community.

It's funny, the one spot on this site for heated discussion, the debates, rarely gets used nowadays.

But we must remember that CP is largely a great forum jam-packed with civilised people of all nationalities, it's good to have a forum like this! :ninja:

This is the only forum I have ever been a part of because its not a group of internet addicts who can't handle a real social situation.

we all love coins and notes here. it's awesome. and if we really feel the need to talk about something other than coins, there is a set place to do so.

Good for you Art.

I didn't see the ref'd thread but I was personally attacked by a yahoo on here some time ago, and aside from the humour of it (to me at least) it can cause others to spiral into personal attacks.

Debate is great (IMO) but the *real* personal stuff is poor 8th grade L-D debate nonsense.

Keep up the good mod-ing.

Ciao,

Capt-AWACS

I went to a politics and religion area of a coin site once and realized that it was a bad idea. I decided then that is best not to know the core beliefs of the people I interact with regarding coins, some genuinely frighten me and there is no better way to ruin a good coin contact / relationship than learning how they feel about Muslims, Americans, the French, god, etc...

I like this forum more because, save for a few threads and people here and there who just cant seem to help it, people keep politics and religious bickering where it belongs, somewhere else. I dont care what god you worship, what nation you hate or love, who you vote for, etc...and there is no need for me to know these things if one keeps things TRULY in the realm of numismatics.

Jeff I personally hope that you rethink your decision and stay active across the forums. It's always been a pleasure to learn from you and to discuss things with you. Best no matter what you decide.

Guess in some ways being really old has advantages. Like I said I really just ignore non Numismatic subjects on any forum, anywhere. And when I do see one and if for some reason I read any of it I usually forget all about it in few minutes.

AHHH old age. The three symptoms of old age are forgetfulness and I can never remember the other two. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night I signed on after a several week hiatus because of dealing with a family emergency. On Sunday I had found a 1964-D Roosie in change in a Tim Hortons and posted about it on the main coin board.

Very quickly a regular member here posted a flippant and arrogant reply to the effect that "we should not start new threads here for a silver coin found in change" - "Maybe we should start a contest to see when the next time a poster does this". I PM'ed said person, whom then denied it. But I had reported the thread gone south and it got nuked, so he could deny the response.

Now this was a hell of a way to come back to Coinpeople. I remember the mess that prompted the initiation of this thread. I am not threatening to part with my coin collection because of one poster being arrogant, but one cannot help but notice if you have been on here awhile, that several original contributing members left beginning early last year. This is behaviour unbecoming of children certainly, but surely adults.

We are not here to have fun launching personal tirades, but to share our hobby, and our knowledge and sometimes humour, not else wise.

yeah guys, remember that a smiley :ninja: is always appreciated to keep things lighthearted in this forum!

And a silver coin found in circulation is so rare these days that they really do deserve a special thread! If only they were more common...

Really! Wouldn't you think a COIN FORUM would be the last place you'd see flaming?

I don't see why someone would get upset about an unnecessary post; if it is, won't it will fall to the last pages and never be seen again? You don't have to attack someone.

Archived