CoinPeople.com

State quarter speculation

Kristofer

Which state quarters do you think will be the most sought after in the future? After seeing Oklahoma's and Alaska's my guess will be them. I think their designs are stunning. You can list as many as you want, but try and list them in descending order.

OK_winner.gifAK_winner.gif

I don't think too much "soughting" will be required in the next 200-1600 years... they've minted a bazillion of them, and a gabazillion of them have been tucked away in jars, books, etc.... so, probably none of them will ever be too hard to get for a long long time.

But I guess if pressed, I'd say that in around 100 years the following may become a 'bit' less than common.

1. TN quarters,, I've heard that many dealers and marketers have horded for the ol' Elvis promotions.

2. Wisconsin bags and rolls,, lots were probably busted open in search of the high and low leaf's.. so there are probably many fewer bags and rolls of them than others.

... that's about it.

^ Good points. My favorite design is the Conn. I have to agree that it will be many many centuries before there's a shortage of collectible SQs.

I don't collect them, nor do I really care about them. Betwixt OK and AK, I like the grizzly design a bit better. It is original, other states have had their state birds, flowers, state outlines etc. Even too many buffaloes, but a grizzly bar is a unique design. I liked Nevada's design a bit with the mustangs on it. Actually I can think of more state quarter designs I didn't like, some of the paste up jobs like Florida and Michigan. Some which made absolutely no impression, like Maryland's with the top of their Statehouse and "The Old Line State" Wha? I lived in Maryland and never heard of that. There are several of them I do not recall ever seeing in circulation either. I know I got some of the OK quarters when I was in W. Palm last week, but I promptly spent them as they really mean nothing to me.

Great coins to be put into a time capsule. Scheduled for opening about the year 39721, in June.

Those keep reminding me of the Bicentennial Quarters. Myself and someone I know collected them thinking that someday they will be worth millions. Slight exageration you know. I ended up with hundreds of dollars worth. My freind had thousands of dollars worth. Not long ago all went to the banks.

Ha... I smile everytime I find those Bicentennial's in circulation, in near Mint state...... State quarters will be the same, with new lots of privately hoarded thousands mint state quarters from bags, rolls, jars, books, etc.. hitting circulation for the next 1000 years.

Ha... I smile everytime I find those Bicentennial's in circulation, in near Mint state...... State quarters will be the same, with new lots of privately hoarded thousands mint state quarters from bags, rolls, jars, books, etc.. hitting circulation for the next 1000 years.

I guess you know that the 1999 State Quarter silver proof set is worth in the $400 range and the 2001 is close to $200. May be more by now.

I guess you know that the 1999 State Quarter silver proof set is worth in the $400 range and the 2001 is close to $200. May be more by now.

Yes, I know.

You make a good point with respect to state quarter speculation and winners to date,,,, and I've even purchased a few of these silver proof sets,, although not the 99. I have a few of the Wisconsin up and down leaf's also,, and more than a few $25 bags....

I think these prices may be somewhat inflated and prone to dropping more than other coin investments.. simply too many of silver proof sets minted (~500+ thousand each year...).... so I'm unsure why the years you call out command a premium to other years which have equal or less mintages... guessing dealers have hoarded these and are "slow dripping" them back into the collector population at a crazy premium....

Even with these winners noted,, as I think of state quarters as an investment, the words "sucker", "every", and "minute" still come to mind,,, and I don't exempt myself from these adjectives,,, as a collector, they apply more often than I'd like to believe or admit.

I'm collecting the SQ's solely to give me something to do while I'm in college and broke. I'm almost expecting the quarters and the albums I keep them in will end up being worth less when I die than what they are worth now.

Here's an interesting perspective:

Lowest individual branch mint Ohio P - 217 mil

Lowest total all branch mints Maine - 448 mil

Entire Standing Liberty Quarter series (1916-1930) - 226 mil

And the population of the nation in 2000 and 1930?

1930 - 123,202,624

2000 - 281,421,906

Although that's only one branch, one mint.

And the population of the nation in 2000 and 1930?

1930 - 123,202,624

2000 - 281,421,906

Although that's only one branch, one mint.

Also, The projected American population is to grow by 25% by 2020, and 50% by 2050.

http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/usinterimpro...tprojtab01a.pdf

And for the sake of over analysis this all roughly equates t0:

1930 - 1.83 quarters per person

2000 - 2.36 quarters per person

difference being only an increase of .53 quarters per person. We must also consider that quarters did a lot more in the 1930s (Might even consider it to be as important as the dollar is today?) so that's a rather modest increase per person when assuming that to be a more active piece of currency during that time.

Your numbers don't add up. the 226 million is the entire run of SLQ's from 1916 to 1930. If you add up the entire 10 years of the state quarter program its on the multiple billions. Probably something along the lines of 90 coins per person. (Thats just my guess).

Your numbers don't add up. the 226 million is the entire run of SLQ's from 1916 to 1930. If you add up the entire 10 years of the state quarter program its on the multiple billions. Probably something along the lines of 90 coins per person. (Thats just my guess).

No, you're right, I just used the numbers provided. I'm way too lazy to run around collecting mintage numbers and adding them. I just like analyzing numbers. I know we are comparing 1 year verses 14 but these numbers are technically impossible to analyze because coin collecting is so much bigger than in the 30s. So In order to get a real number we would need to find out the number of coins the mint had forecasted the colectors to hoarde. There is no way I'm going that research, at least no time soon. :ninja: Not to mention the other obvious inconsistency, using population data that is nearly 8 years old. I know that won't make a huge fluctuation, but all things being accounted for you kinda have to include the obscure.

And back to the Bicentennial Quarters. Also, back then they were worth a lot of money in Silver or just Uncirculated. However, as it was discovered that everyone had them and by the roll, bag or just a jar full the prices fell, fell, fell. I really think the State Quarters will end up the same. I hope not since I too have several Albums full of the stupid things.

• 1 month later...

It's a somewhat old thread, but I have to jump in here. IA-P (Iowa's from Phila) are the lowest SQs at 213 million. OH-Ps are second. NJ-D, which everyone thought would be the rarest/key to the series, is #45 out of 90 at this moment for which production figures are available.

For the speculation question, uncirc TN-Ps are being hoarded for Elvis memorabilia. One of the TV coin shows made the claim that SC-Ps were the toughest (it's only tough to believe because SC-P is currently #89). Personally, I find MS-P to be the hardest to find in circulation. After that it's pretty much a wash.

I've been thinking of getting the two Harris folders for SQs and start a circulated collection beginning in 2010, giving the 2008s a year to circulate, then see how hard it would be to complete it. No roll searches, no buying or trading, just pulled from pocket change.

Jerry

It's a somewhat old thread, but I have to jump in here. IA-P (Iowa's from Phila) are the lowest SQs at 213 million. OH-Ps are second. NJ-D, which everyone thought would be the rarest/key to the series, is #45 out of 90 at this moment for which production figures are available.

For the speculation question, uncirc TN-Ps are being hoarded for Elvis memorabilia. One of the TV coin shows made the claim that SC-Ps were the toughest (it's only tough to believe because SC-P is currently #89). Personally, I find MS-P to be the hardest to find in circulation. After that it's pretty much a wash.

I've been thinking of getting the two Harris folders for SQs and start a circulated collection beginning in 2010, giving the 2008s a year to circulate, then see how hard it would be to complete it. No roll searches, no buying or trading, just pulled from pocket change.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I find SC-Ps way too often. But thats probably because I'm from the Midatlantic. I guess even when I'm in Chicago I find them too.

But I can't remember which I've seen the least. I've actually seen a lot only one or two times that I can remember if that much!

As a "darksider" I am more than happy that the economical power of american collectors is still focused in 99% to US coins. It is a scary scenario what will happens on "darkside" prices if all these billions $ spent every year on yours "rare" coins (in tens of millions mintage) will be redirected to real rare coins...

Then I will start to collect some US coins.

I look at it in a completely different way. To me, 217 million coins isnt a lot, because that means that there isnt enough for each person in the country to have one, and if I happen to have one, then that means somebody else will not :ninja:

Archived