CoinPeople.com

Best way to send Notes and Coins across the pond.

Delta

I recently agreed to swap some (not so rare) coins and Scottish notes with a collector in the US.

What is the safest way to pack them and what can I do to ensure some checkpoint dosn't block the package?

I said I would send him some "firsts and lasts" 1971 1p, 2p, and so on. I figure I'll put these in a small paper envelope, since they are clearly worn already. I also said I would send him a set of (near uncirculated) 2007 coins. I so far warped these individually in a small amount of "tissue" paper, and I will place those in a separate small envelope.

For notes I was considering placing them in a folded sheet of paper, then wedging it all between two pieces of plastic (to prevent bending).

Then placing all three into a larger padded envelope. Would this be an alright solution? Does anyone have any advice?

Finally should I send it by airmail? surface mail? I'm more concerned about the best way to ensure it gets there than speed or cost.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best way to send coins across the pond?

Well, since flat, round smooth rocks do a good job of skipping across a pond, I imagine a coin would do well too.

*cricket-sounds*

For the customs label it "Stamped Metallic Disc" as this often gets passed off for industrial purposes! :ninja:

Never had a problem sending Medieval rarities across the countless ponds!

The best way is actually to cut up holes in a cardboard box and cut the box to fit in an envelope. This way it is less easy to tell that it's clearly coins inside and it's easier to get transported although you will need to take a bit of time to pack it this way.

A trick I learned from trading in Russian coins with Russian collectors:) When sending stuff to certain countries, like Italy, Russia, Greece etc. where the postal systems are somewhat challenged in integrity it is best to deceive them into thinking it is something inane like photographs etc. Crikes, I even don't tell postie clerks in the USA or Canada what is really in the package, it is none of their nosey parker buswax.

A trick I learned from trading in Russian coins with Russian collectors:) When sending stuff to certain countries, like Italy, Russia, Greece etc. where the postal systems are somewhat challenged in integrity it is best to deceive them into thinking it is something inane like photographs etc. Crikes, I even don't tell postie clerks in the USA or Canada what is really in the package, it is none of their nosey parker buswax.

i agree never tell em whats in the package even if uve known them for years. first i make sure my package doesnt jingle and i just put numistatic supplies. and no problem here!

Well for the coins I am sending to two fourm members I have a story.

I was sending two coin pacages two california residents. I took both to the post office. The mail lady said she would send one as a pacage ( the fragle kind) because it was a coin. I did not tell her it was a coin nor did I tell her the other one was a coin. The other coins were in a food saver bag, and felt like a large letter. So for sending coins now I am useing food saver bags.

My coins are all put in a DVD case, I individually warped them and taped them into place, except for (and this was my mistake) 1971 (and other first issues) decimal coins which where somewhat loose in pouch. Now they jingle inside the package. :ninja:

Just for fun, here is what I'm sending:

3x RBS Pound notes (sequential serials)

1x RBS £5 note (Jack Nicolaus)

First year issues of every coin 1/2p - £1

2007 issues of 1p - 20p

Johnson's Dictionary 50p coin

Brunel type A £2 coin

Act of Union £2 coin (near uncirculated, shiny shiny!)

3x Crown Dependency pound coins (Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man)

Spanish 2006 €1 coin and an Austrian 2002 10c coin.

i think it's a bad idea to lie too blatantly on the customs declaration. if you are required to make a customs declaration be sure to mark it "gift" (this usually ensures the recipient won't have to pay a customs fee).

here in the u.s., "small packets" under a certain weight destined for certain countries don't require a customs declaration. this is clearly preferable to having to make a misstatement on the customs form.

At Christmas I sent a box that contained coins and banknotes to the UK for a YN just getting started. I placed each world coin in a 2x2 and then placed them in a zip-loc bag. All the banknotes went into binder pages. I placed bubble wrap in the bottom of the box, put the pages of banknotes in, added more bubble wrap. place the bag of coins in with bubble wrap all around it and a final layer of bubble wrap on top.

Usually on the customs form I write Numismatic items & supplies. And mark it as a gift. I have never had a problem.

With things happening everywhere, many countries have gone to really inspecting packages being mailed. Possibly even Xrays or opening them. My son was in krakow for a year of college. I sent him lots of our coins for his friends and he sent me coins from all over Europe. All packages were labled film or photos. All coins were placed in those little tubes that Kodak film is in and wrapped with Aluminum foil. Never had a proplem with theft or lost packages.

Archived