CoinPeople.com

Breaking Into the Slab

TreasureGirl

The famous Peace dollar in the USGS slab. If I break it out to put it in an Airtite, does it lose any value?

Also, what's the best way to break into a slab?

Also, what's the best way to break into a slab?

Easiest way I've found is using a dremel tool. You can usually pick up a knock-ff version (simply called a rotary tool) at walmart for about $20

I'd suggest placing it on a post with a clear background and shooting away the edges of the slab from 30 or 40 feet. :ninja:

Same reason the lovely woman that loves me doesn't buy me coins :ninja:

Same reason that I don't buy the handsome man that loves me electronics.

I'd suggest placing it on a post with a clear background and shooting away the edges of the slab from 30 or 40 feet. :ninja:

Now this is the kind of reply that is just insufficient in detail and it may actually not work if improperly attempted. For instance using a slow moving ammunition such as .45 Cal, the plastic may shatter. If too large a Cal, also the plastic may shatter. I would suggest a small Cal. (.22) with high velosity cartridges. Also, the bottom edges must be shot away first.

Other methods are a Butane Torch with a needle type tip. Nitro Glycerine in small amounts will actually not only open the slab, but if pointed properly, have the coin land where you want. If yu live near a tall building or structure, go to the top and drop it off. Have a person at the bottom just in case you miss the concrete.

I have no slabs. I have bought many, but I remove the coins. If you have a Dremel as noted, they have minature saw blades that will work. A saber saw with medium toothed blades also work. Even a hack saw will work. Main thing is to put it in a vise to hold it firmly. I've seen someone just put a slab in a vice edge wise and press until it flew apart. Not to smart.

As to your other question about value. As a basic rule, removing a coin from a slab is not smart if the coin is of a substantial value since the slab will not only help protect the coin, but varifies it is not a fake.

It's up to you. It's your coin.

Well... I really looked at a 1922 Peace I got at a local store at Choice BU (for $16) and the one in the slab (1923) graded at MS-66, purchased for $160. There is no difference. I would keep it in the slab but since they're so un-versatile and since I want to keep my type set in the same place, I want to crack it out... but I wonder if that will just make it another $16 coin...

EDIT: Scratch $160 - it was $99.

Mmm... that seems harsh... I would tell him it's like me buying him electronics, but the second I tell him that he will get super offended because he has already gotten me this slabbed, overpriced Peace and a proof ASE, and once I say anything he'll assume that I didn't like his present this whole time. And I can't tell him to use the Red Book because the Peace was listed on eBay as MS-66 and the Red Book says at MS-66 that coin should be $160 even though I have an identical piece, same mintage, bought for $16. Huh... perhaps this deserves a new thread...

Mmm... that seems harsh... I would tell him it's like me buying him electronics, but the second I tell him that he will get super offended because he has already gotten me this slabbed, overpriced Peace and a proof ASE, and once I say anything he'll assume that I didn't like his present this whole time. And I can't tell him to use the Red Book because the Peace was listed on eBay as MS-66 and the Red Book says at MS-66 that coin should be $160 even though I have an identical piece, same mintage, bought for $16. Huh... perhaps this deserves a new thread...

What I do with my family is tell the stories of how non-collectors are being ripped-off by Home Shopping Network, eBay and unscrupulous dealers. I think I have them all scared to buy any coins, at this point :ninja: I did this before anyone bought anything, though. However, if you husband wants to continue giving you coins - why not point him to a reputable website that deals in quality coins and doesn't sell for ridiculous premiums. Not sure about U.S. material, but for World coins I use www.cngcoins.com, www.northeastcoin.com, www.civitasgalleries.com and a few others. It might hurt his feelings if you tell him nto stop buying altogether, so pointing in the right direction might be a better alternative (plus you get new, quality coins in the process ;) ).

Cheers,

~Roman

Guest Stujoe

I have broken a couple of coins out of slabs. I have used a hammer around the edges with a cloth over the slab. I broke off the edges until I could pry it apart with my hands. Be very careful of flying plastic...especially protect your eyes.

The USGS slabbed coin I have is pretty closely graded. It may surprise you if you break it out and get it graded at pcgs or ngc. For a self slabber at least the one I have turned up pretty good. (Compared to other self slabbers.)

Archived