CoinPeople.com

Bullion or coinage?

Mark Stilson

Bullion or coinage?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Bullion or coinage?

• Bullion
    • Coinage

I consider all the coins that are never issued for circulation as either commemoratives or bullion. The ASEs to me are bullion -- very pretty bullion.

Bullion - there are a fair amount of these minted as well as the design from every year is almost about the same.

Speaking of the face value of such "coin/bullion", there was a talk on cointalk about how a guy talked about his wife receiving a 100 dollar 1 ounce platinum coin as face value!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ninja:

Obviously it was a young boy who received it as a present but he wouldn't care about it's real value and wanted to cash it immediately. Now you just wished that happened to you don't you!

The bullion coins were made as an investment opportunity and, here in the U.S., the Mint had NO idea that coin collectors would get on board and collect them. They do NOT circulate and were never intended to do so and, quite frankly, with silver floating at $13.00 per ounce why in the world would anyone want a buck for a bullion Eagle? U.S. law dictates that a monetary value be placed on the coinage made at the mint thus the "One Dollar" on our Eagles. But do keep in mind that gold bullion also has a monetary value which is FAR below the value of gold and I don't think we will see many folks attempting to circulate them either. But should any of you wish to make a few purchases based on the face value of your gold and silver bullion feel free to get with me and I will make every effort to send you exactly what you need and shipping will be free!

Non-circulating legal tender - but bullion to me.

:ninja: Me too on that. Proof sets are non-circulating legal tender. (Yes, some do escape in to the wild.) But I don't know how many would consider them bullion. The Gobrecht dollars never made it in to general circulation.

I voted for coins. However, after reading what others say, I'm not sure anymore what Bullion is. Until now I always considered Bullion just blocks, bars, lumps of metals. Although the Red Book and others do call many coins Bullion, I still consider them coins. To me there are tokens, coins, medals and Bullion. Every time someone mentions Bullion I think of bars, lumps, clumps, etc. Must be old age.

I voted for coins. However, after reading what others say, I'm not sure anymore what Bullion is. Until now I always considered Bullion just blocks, bars, lumps of metals. Although the Red Book and others do call many coins Bullion, I still consider them coins. To me there are tokens, coins, medals and Bullion. Every time someone mentions Bullion I think of bars, lumps, clumps, etc. Must be old age.

By definition, bullion is precious metal in its purest reducible form. SAE's are .999 silver, so they are bullion coins. Dealers may refer to common date gold and silver coins as "bullion" because their value is usually pegged to the current bullion value of the metal regardless of the alloy.

I voted coinage, since to me bullion must be uncoined metal. As for the face value, you will see how important it is at the next gold recall when the Treasury offers you nice new fednotes for your 'coins' at the stated face value (which is a premium to the current gold peg of $42.2222 per ounce)!

I voted coinage, since to me bullion must be uncoined metal. As for the face value, you will see how important it is at the next gold recall when the Treasury offers you nice new fednotes for your 'coins' at the stated face value (which is a premium to the current gold peg of $42.2222 per ounce)!

It's clearly bullion since there is no intent to circulate. The only thing that that the denomination does is to provide a floor in case the price of silver or gold plummets.

-- Peter Planchet

www.peterplanchet.com

Here is an easy test. Pretend you have some rare coins, sort of rare coins, Bullion in Silver, Gold, etc. Then attempt to sell it for cash. Look for places, contact them if necessary, and see how easy it is to unload the stuff. It is always easy to say how much something is worth but in reality it is only worth what someone will pay for it. Occationally on TV Jay Leno shows stuff they found on ebay. Some of the weirdest things imaginable but much of it sells for fantastic amounts and some doesn't sell at all. So if you had a Bullion thing of Pure Silver that weighed 10oz for example, where and who would buy it for what price. Same with a coin. You could have a 1909S VDB in MS-63 for example and run around saying it is worth $XXXX but if you can't sell it for that it is not really worth that at all.

From what I've seen over the years there are numerous coin shows where coins are easily bought and sold but Bullion just sits there. HMMMMM.

Archived