CoinPeople.com

Silver American Eagle

drwstr123

This is the result, so far, of a old brown envelope on top of my montor. It colored slowly at first. Took over 6 months to turn completly gold. Then it turned totaly silver, almost indistinguishable from the original. then toning set in again from the rim to the center. The reverse is following, but a month or two lag. I like it so much better than the plain coin that it was. I just might get a couple more and have another go at them.

IMGP4817_edited.jpg

IMGP4818_edited.jpg

Welllll, I have a laptop and a flat-screen TV, where else can I stick some to-be-toned coins (and which are best for this method)?

Thanks for the ideas! I heart rainbows!

Thank you all for your appreciation. I can't tell how many times I looked at that coin and only saw bullion. Now it's my own little piece of art. I'd love to see some of your tonings. Please post some pics. ..but remember , the fist toning takes quite a while. I don't know when I'm going to stop this one, but I just bought an airtight for it, so probably soon. Thanks again, Mike

• 5 months later...

I've lost my warm spot for my ASE (under the projector; every time I tried to check it I moved the screen and my hubby got irritated); I'm trying my laptop but it's overheating my computer. Any other suggestions short of the toaster oven?

/reviving horribly dead thread

I would think oven heating would give off harsh colors - what I want are (seemingly) soft, rainbow-on-a-spring-evening colors. Not wrong-side-of-town-neon-sign colors. Thanks though!

Basically, to most collectors, toning destroys not only the value of the coin but also destroys resale value as toning is damage to the surface of the coin. For every collector who pays a premium for such coins you will find a thousand who wouldn't pay silver value on any given day. Now I am not condeming your taste by any means but have found, due to age and circumstances, sooner or later coins and or collections may have to be put up for sale. It is up to each of us concerning the future and what it holds for our efforts but I, for one, make every effort to rid my collection of toned coins and have spent years in local coin shops seeing the results when toned coins come in. The only exception would be key dates and some classics but even then the end result can mean a lot of money. At least that is how it is in this area of the midwest.

Oh, I don't think we're doing this for anyone else's pleasure than our own. Who can resist making their very own rainbow (with silver at the end)?

Basically, to most collectors, toning destroys not only the value of the coin but also destroys resale value as toning is damage to the surface of the coin.

I wouldn't say "most" collectors. I would say "some" collectors. Even then, I would say the type of toning would influence whether or not this is true (attractive v. ugly).

I do agree that modern coins and classic coins should be treated differently with respect to toning. Show me a frosty white 19th c. silver coin and you'll also be showing me an altered (dipped) coin.

Me? I prefer my old silver to look like this (a Long Beach auction win):

931122.jpg

Archived