CoinPeople.com

Stockpiling silver or gold?

Dan769

When all hell breaks loose, it will be Government seize<Gold<Silver and then give paper :ninja:

Last time they grabbed the gold, what they came up with was what was in the banks. Nobody with two brain cells to rub together handed over any gold coin, and lots of it was (and still is) in European banks, which is why we still have some old US gold for collecting.

This time, there's none on deposit in banks, though there's probably a lot in safe deposit boxes. If the politicians order a roundup of gold and silver held by citizens, they'll find out just how badly outnumbered they are.

I'm slowly acquiring gold coins.

1. To complete my U.S. Type set.

2. Despite everything I've said in another thread, gold is a great hedge against inflation and currency failure.

I even have a chunk of money in a gold ETF "just in case".

3. They're great coins. Early U.S. gold, Roosters, Napoleons, Sovereigns, Ancients. All wonderful coins.

Last time they grabbed the gold, what they came up with was what was in the banks. Nobody with two brain cells to rub together handed over any gold coin, and lots of it was (and still is) in European banks, which is why we still have some old US gold for collecting.

This time, there's none on deposit in banks, though there's probably a lot in safe deposit boxes. If the politicians order a roundup of gold and silver held by citizens, they'll find out just how badly outnumbered they are.

Most people however were not Rockefellers or Vanderbilts with the ability to ship their gold over to Switzerland. In fact they were living quite a bit closer to the edge, and they usually turned their gold in for cash so they could eat.

Except one of my Grandfathers, he buried his approximately $250.00 in a tobacco tin in the yard, and forgot about it until years later ~ it has never been found.

I've been a big fan of metals for decades. ...especially white metals. Tin, silver, nickel

iron, aluminum, chrome, platinum, zinc and to a lesser extent lead are my favorites.

In many ways silver leads the list because of its great scarcity relative its price and the

other metals. Despite being little more common than gold it sells for peanuts. It has a

very unique elemental arrangement which makes it relatively stable but able to react

with many compounds. It has a very rapidly growing use in high tech because of this.

Every year there is more gold in the world which sits in massive stockpiles and every year

there is less silver in the world which exists in no large stockpiles. Mines tend to be short

so have less incentive to produce and despite years of looking, new silver mines just don't

seem to be cropping up everywhere.

Gold is probably the best way to protect oneself from inflation since this is where people

tend to run but silver will partially serve this purpose as well while providing the opportunity

for large profits in the event of a strong economy. People often lose sight of the fact that

inflation often occurs with a strong economy so silver can quite possibly outperform gold

even in the one scenario where gold is important. Neither metal can do a good job of pro-

tecting you from the effects of economic collapse. For this you'll be much more in need of

food and ammo.

If you expect inflation then when it starts you should have mostly gold with a little silver and

as it progresses then gradually swap out gold for silver.

All the metals are interesting because of exploding populations but look at useful metals that

are scarce or require large amounts of energy to produce for the most appreciation. Paladium

and platinum are excellent means to store wealth. Copper will increase in volitility and if you

can outguess the markets will provide large profits.

Some of the more "exotic" metals will provide huge increases as well. A great deal of knowledge

and guessing will be required to pick the winners from the losers. Demand increases for some of

these will be easily met by production increases. Moly would be the best of all but this exists in

very large quantities. Titanium usage should soar but this one too, is not uncommon in the ground.

Aluminum is great but is exceedingly common. Nickel is one of my favorites but has already run

up a lot (it's not at all time highs yet!!!). Tin is the ideal metal except there is still not much demand.

If it ever moves the increase will be explosive.

One of the up and coming uses for silver is in antibiotics, where it is showing promise in fighting infections.

My son put his hand on a red hot oven burner when he was about 2-3 yrs old. Presented a ringed blistered burn that covered about 50-60% of his hand. They gave us some pasty white cream to put on it and it went away in a week or so with no scarring,,,,, some time after that I layed my arm on my wifes curling iron (which she had left on !! dammit) and burned the he11 out of myself, blood red and I was sure it was going to blister up around the size of silver dollar... put the leftover cream on it,,,,, no blister ever developed, pain went away, and it was totally gone in around 4 days...... frickin amazing stuff.

SILVER SULFADIAZINE CREAM

Aside - I like copper and nickel too,,, especially when I can easily get it at 50+% below melt value (try getting silver or gold at that discount).

OK,

Gold > Silver > Copper > Government Paper

Where's platinum and nickel? :ninja:

I'm hoarding any pre-1982 cents and silver I find. The silver can be a slug for all I care, as long as it's silver!

Where's platinum and nickel? :ninja:

I'm hoarding any pre-1982 cents and silver I find. The silver can be a slug for all I care, as long as it's silver!

I feel the same but add nickels into the mix. They're over their face value right now and will continue in that direction unless the metal content is changed.

I feel the same but add nickels into the mix. They're over their face value right now and will continue in that direction unless the metal content is changed.

Good thing I save all my change then! May be worth it.

Too bad you guys aren't in Canada - the percentages over face for the 1c and 5c are even larger (esp. since pre-82 Cdn. 5c are 100% nickel)

It is funny to think when I have been there we bought rolls of coins in the banks to spend back here for 63¢ on our dollar, to spend back here for 1/1. I have usually done this with 10 and 25¢ coins. I haven't been to Canada in a couple of years though, and since the Canadian dollar has appreciated to the point where there really is no reason to do this anymore.

I'm hoarding copper and nickels. They're cheaper than silver or gold and much easier to come-by.

Have you sold any to a refinery yet?

Is anyone hoarding/buying silver or gold? If so, what are your reasons, solid investments, fear of monetary collapse, terrorists striking crippling the economy?

I did just buy a few ounces of gold. Mainly because I'm not buying any major coins until the Spring shows and I need to make a lot of payments in Euros where the dollar isn't doing so well right now.

Archived