CoinPeople.com

Stockpiling silver or gold?

Dan769

Greetings to all and Happy holidays,

My father was a merchant seaman and started buying gold coins from places he visited. He never told anyone but my mother. She never never told us until after he died and she was on her deathbed. Its not like a fortune or anything, but it was over 1500 gold coins of all different values.

This was in 1994 and then I started to buy gold coins to add to this amount and have about 1700 so far.

of coarse, I could only afford to buy 1/10 and 1/5 oz coins myself. This got me interested in collecting Lincoln cents and filled up my set and working on another for granddaughter now.

Well thank you for reading my post and Merry X-mas,

Bruce

Greetings and thank you,

It appears to be bullion coins going back to 1865(maybe restrikes) and 1890's to late 1960 and 70's.I Think its just common bullion coins from all over the world. After, I found them I became interested.

I started buying what I could afford and that was 1/5 ounce coins down to 1/10. I'd buy everyweek if I could.I probably haven't bought any gold for around a year or a little longer.I started buying high grade lincolns until I was able to fill my first album 1909-1976.

My Granddaughter was interested in cents ,so she is trying to fill her own now. It gets kind of expensive once you get to 1935 if you want them in higher rd grades. She is doing pretty good for herself with help from Poppy.

Bruce

i've been collecting silver bullion.. don't have very much but I had to cash in my 10shares of stock my grandma gave me and get into silver...

reasons? definitely inflation and a weakening dollar.

:ninja: Depending on what the shares were of, they may actually be a better hedge if you are concerned about inflation.

:ninja: Depending on what the shares were of, they may actually be a better hedge if you are concerned about inflation.

they were of edison power... I think edison went back up and is doin pretty well but I'm happy that I got into silver... I got some pretty good deals on ebay.

Saving most metals may be a waste if no one wants to buy it someday. Many metals are expensive due to thier usage such as Silver being such a versatile element. However, as moderazation moves forward most of such metals will be replaced with something else and thier value may just plummit downward.

Now for me I'm stockpiling Platinum. As long as Gillett keeps using it for their razor blades I can't go wrong.

Any precious metal serves as a good hedge against inflation. No precious metal has ever become worthless, though every single fiat currency in history has done so. Ours will prove, soon enough, to be no exception.

Any precious metal serves as a good hedge against inflation.

As do other investments. Big deal.

No precious metal has ever become worthless,

Niether has sugar in 500 years of trade. I try to trade packets of it but it never seems to work.

I did see someone trade a watch for a cab ride in Thailand once. Hmmm

though every single fiat currency in history has done so. Ours will prove, soon enough, to be no exception.

Every single one? Really well as America's hasn't this is a false statement and others BTW are still readily traded.

The sky is falling economic chickenhawks have been debating how US currency will faily for years. It started in the 1780s then after the civil war, then after 1913 then after 1964 and then 2000 yet it is still going strong...amazing fact seeing as how the sky is falling :ninja:

Aside from the rise in value of the Euro lately and god forbid Oil gets priced in Euros, the dollar is still the number hold currency for central banks and legal tender in over 20 countries. It is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Actions speak louder than bumperstickers

they were of edison power... I think edison went back up and is doin pretty well but I'm happy that I got into silver... I got some pretty good deals on ebay.

You probably made a bad move, but if it was fun and you can affort it, then enjoy the silver.

Silver doesn't pay quarterly dividends by the way, and it's consumer base is no where near the volume as those seeking to heat thier homes.

Niether has sugar in 500 years of trade. I try to trade packets of it but it never seems to work.

I did see someone trade a watch for a cab ride in Thailand once. Hmmm

Well my grandfather lived through two World Wars

He had bags of salt

He had bags of rice

He had bags of Double Eagles who rented him a car and driver to the South of France :ninja:

Well my grandfather lived through two World Wars

He had bags of salt

He had bags of rice

He had bags of Double Eagles who rented him a car and driver to the South of France :ninja:

And I had a grandfather that did the same and a Father who fought in WWII.

During WWII bartering and the trade of commodities was actually very common.

Sugar rations were huge as was rubber. Worth more than gold to some folks.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, Dutch RVs and German Autobahns don't mix

Archived