CoinPeople.com

Latest Banknote purchases.

Guest Aidan Work

Paper is only good as the government or the bank behind it. I also find your comment regarding the default on payment of specie for paper interesting, because yes the government pulled a fast one and nobody complained, they just obediently followed along and took paper as money.

I would rather imagine if for instance you took an RBS £1 in to their or another bank there in Scotland and asked for a £, you are going to be handed a pound coin, or a pile of them. Sure are not going to get a sovereign, though one could wish for one.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got a 250 + 500 New Iraqi Dinar RADAR notes serials 5397935 also 9351539

1 x 500 with radar serial 5397935 + 1 x 250 with radar serial 9351539

These 2 Radar notes are in Perfect UNC condition with no holes, marks, or dirt, just Mint Condition

Also notice how close the 2 numbers are, if they were swapped about they'd be a perfect match i.e 935 becomes 539 and then again 539 becomes 935

2 craking notes to add to my collection, i'll get photo's up shortly

top note is the 500 dinar, radar: 5397935

the bottom note 250 dinar, radar: 9351539

More Radars notes, 50 dinar: 6761676

also Radar 50 dinar note: 2908092

also Radar 50 dinar note: 6872786

100_0700.JPG

I really would like to walk into Bank of Scotland and request one of these and get it:

899624A.jpg

But then this one is one of only eight known examples. Bank of Scotland bought Caledonian in 1907.

Or sashay into Clydesdale and request one of these please:

899632A.jpg

But again not likely to happen.

Several years ago someone I know happened upon a hoard of British Linen £1's from the 1950's, hundreds of them. I have a few dozen of them now, the rest dispersed through dealers all over Britain, then on eBay etc.

I did a pare off of Scottish banknotes back in 2003, at one time I had over 400 of them. I have no idea how many I have now, probably 250 or so now, mostly older notes. I sold all but the oldest RBS, BoS, etc. but strangely no British Linens. I love the British Linen blue colour on their notes. A couple of them, the £5 and £20 from 1931 are so rare that I could never replace them. So they stay no matter what.

Sweet did the notes get found in a drawer or something ?? you always here the stories of someone finding notes stuffed in the back of a cupboard or drawer or something, just wish it was me to find them, he he, cool notes by the way

The Caledonian £1 is from a sheet of eight that was found sometime in the 1970's and cut up. I know the history of this particular note back into the 1980's, it was sold by Colin Narbeth to a British Diplomat stationed in Israel, and I purchased it from him in 2000. It was my most expensive banknote purchase for a long time until superseded by another that is not worth nearly as much as the Caledonian now.

The only 20th century bank I have not yet found an example of their £1 from yet is Town and County in Aberdeen, the closest I come there is a North of Scotland and Town and County £1 from 1916 which is also scarcer than hen's teeth:

899628A.jpg

899628B.jpg

I have a few Scottish banknotes in my collection :ninja: no were near your number though LOL & yes two of them are Linen ;)

THE BRITISH LINEN BANK

£1 Edinburgh 4th June 1951

A P Anderson Genral Manager

£1 5 Nov 1969

T W Walker Genral Manager

The 1951 is my earliest Scottish note to date, I would love more but the prices are somtimes quite prohibative, I shall keep looking though

I have a few Scottish banknotes in my collection :ninja: no were near your number though LOL & yes two of them are Linen ;)

THE BRITISH LINEN BANK

£1 Edinburgh 4th June 1951

A P Anderson Genral Manager

The 1951 is my earliest Scottish note to date, I would love more but the prices are somtimes quite prohibative, I shall keep looking though

The serial on that note is cool.

Some new stuff....

IMG_0322.jpg

An assortment of Baht

IMG_0323.jpg

A few Colombian large size notes

IMG_0324.jpg

Some notes from Kyrzygstan

IMG_0325.jpg

A handful of Cambodian 50 and 100 Riel notes

IMG_0326.jpg

Some small size notes from Bhutan.

I continue to be amazed at how everyone else in the world sees money. Looking at US money, it seems rather....dull in comparison.

I found some neat stuff (on the cheap, too. always looking for bargains) that, given the snails' pace that ebay sellers usually travel at, should arrive in a few weeks time:

a lot of 5 polymers (5 New Zealand Dollar, 2x 2 Singapore Dollar, 1 Brunei Dollar, 2 Samoan Tala) for 6.50 (!)

a set of 5, 10, 20 and 50 Nigerian Naira (New for 2006) for 5.10 per lot (bought 3)

Just added these to my collections :ninja:

Bahamas

$3 1974

Purple/Yellow/Blue

Governor W C Allan

Front Value in corners, People on beach, Map, HRH

Rev Value top Corners, Sailing boats, Coat of Arms

p44

Cayman Islands

$1 1985

Blue/Gree/Purple

Chairman ?

Front Fish, Treasure Chest & Coat of Arms, HRH

Rev Value, Reef & Doctor Fish, Value above blank cachet

Security Thread

Watermark Turtle

Series A

P5b

New Zeland

$2 1988/92

Mauve/Green/Pink

Governor D. T. Brash

Front Geometric pattern, QEII

Mistletoe & Rifleman Bird

Security Thread

Watermark Capt Cook's Head

P170

$1 1988/92

Brown/Green/Yellow

Governor D. T. Brash

Front Geometric pattern, QEII

Rev Clematis & Fantail Bird

Security Thread

Watermark Capt Cook's Head

p169

USA

$5 2001

Green

Signed by Treasurer of the US R Marin

Sec Of the Treasury P H O'Neill

Front A Lincoln

Rev Lincoln Memorial

Also A China & two Polymer that I have listed in there own threads ;) You can see them all by clicking on the link in my sig & comments would be appreciated ;) Also a quick question for all members LOL any one recomend a good book or books on Chinese banknotes?

Thanks appreciated and todays offerings are LOL

East Caribbean

Montserrat

$20 2003

Multi

Governor K D Venner

Front Fish, Turtle, QEII, Silver foil Butterfly & ECCB

Rev Goverment House, Map of Eastern Caribbean, Nutmeg

Security Thread

Watermark Queens Head

Antigua

$5 2003

Multi

Governor K D Venner

Front Fish, Turtle,QEII, Silver foil fish & ECCB

Rev Admiral House Antigua & Barbuda, Gold fish over map, Trafalgar falls

Security Thread

Watermark Queens Head

P42a

Montserrat

$5 2000

Multi

Governor K D Venner

Front Fish, Turtle, QEII, Silver foil fish

Rev Admiral House Antigua & Barbuda, Gold fish over map, Trafalgar falls

Security Thread

Watermark Queens Head

I realy like the $20 :ninja: unfortunatly as there is no Montserrat listed on Banknotebank I had to list them under Antigua ;) Any how to view them as allways just follow the link in my sig ;)

The serial on that note is cool.

just to let you no the new 2007 royal bank of scotland notes are going to be auctiond shortly, you can get uncut sheets, special number AA44444, AA123456 and so on AA01010101

Also Special lots of the 1995 "Tercentenary" notes series – issued to celebrate the 300th anniversary of Bank of Scotland - including serial numbers like FX1000000 and AD99999, will also go under the hammer

The auction will be held at the Mound, Edinburgh, on Monday 17th by the bank of scotland and Spink Auctioners

if your interested check this out

http://www.hbosplc.com/media/pressreleases...asp?section=bos

Also Spink http://www.spink.com