CoinPeople.com

Century Type Set Question...

SquirrelNuts

I have decided that I want to put together some type sets and create some variety. One type set folder that I have is from Whitman and is a 20th century type set. On the directions, it suggests more towards collecting by type (even if a particular coins falls outside the 20th century) rather than collecting by type and date. For example, the folder suggests that I could pick one of my 1893-S Morgan dollars to fill the Morgan spot, rather than say a 1921 (20th century) Morgan. I know it is just symantics, but shouldn't a 20th century type set only contain coins that were actually minted during the 20th century, or should it be any date so long as the type existed in the 20th century, or am I just thinking about this too much?

-Robert

...it would bother me.

Me thinks that is the major point right there.

FACT: Morgans were made in the 20th century, it is a 20th century type

Any representation of a Morgan dollar will fit that profile. It is personal choice the particular date.

-Bobby

I can see it going either way. For me personally, I'd like my 20th Century Type Set to contain only coins minted during the 20th Century.

I'd suggest filling the album any way that pleases YOU :ninja:

I'm a date collector, so the date would bother me. I'd have to have a 1921 if i was doing 20th century, and then before i knew it i'd have a 1904, a 1903 and well yeah you get the picture...

But i say you should do what you feel comfortable with, best not to take my advice on this one, afterall i just can't do type sets (unless the coin is undated)! :ninja:

Why not, it should be doable over a long long long period of time. :ninja:

I am almost completing a copper coin set minted during each Russian Tsar / Tsarina's era... I somewhat "cheated" by allowing overstriked coins as an example too... I think I just need another 4 more coins just complete the copper set... the last one I got did cost quite a bit... ;)

My idea was to make a few type sets, like early American pre 1800. If i had the money, a Flowing hair coins, dollar down to cents, colonial coinage, and eight reals. then war of 1812 set with the new change of coinage, then 1860's (civilwar years) coinage, then turn of the century coinage, then pre 50's! :ninja:

• 1 month later...
I would be picky.  If it were a 20th century type set, I'd do 20th century only or it would bother me.

I agree. My type set started out to be 20th Century only, and I went as far as not even allowing coins that were dated 1900, as that year is technically part of the 19th century.

However, since I have expanded the borders of my type set beyond the 20th century, I don't worry about the dates. It has made choosing dates based on historical family events easier. For example, I chose an 1893 Indian Cent because it is the birth year of my wife's grandfather.

Bottom line, as was stated earlier- do what makes sense and is most fun for you.

I have decided that I want to put together some type sets and create some variety.  One type set folder that I have is from Whitman and is a 20th century type set.  On the directions, it suggests more towards collecting by type (even if a particular coins falls outside the 20th century) rather than collecting by type and date.  For example, the folder suggests that I could pick one of my 1893-S Morgan dollars to fill the Morgan spot, rather than say a 1921 (20th century) Morgan.  I know it is just symantics, but shouldn't a 20th century type set only contain coins that were actually minted during the 20th century, or should it be any date so long as the type existed in the 20th century, or am I just thinking about this too much?

-Robert

For the 20th century I'd take coins minted between 1901 and 2000. The 1904 Morgans aren't too bad.

I started a 20th century type set in a Capital Plastics (408B) holder. I will only include coins from 1901-2000 in the set. Tiffibunny's posts modivated me to also start a 19th-20th century type set in a Dansco 7070 album. In that set any coin from 1801-2000 will work for me.

Archived