CoinPeople.com

Should I, or Shouldnt I???????

superbeast1098

I was checking out a link that sent me to a website that deals with Polymer banknotes. I saw that in alot of cases the issuing bank/athourity had a website. I was wondering if anyone has tried emailing the bank or monetary athourity about getting banknotes at the current exchange rate?

Can that even be done? Or would I be crazy to try?

Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions?

KFC :ninja:

banks are usually helpful, if you get in touch with the right person. some banks even keep low serial numbers or other special items to sell specifically to collectors. at a small premium, of course. i've only had a problem twice...with the central bank of the philippines, and the bank of lithuania.

with the philippines, their currency website was hardly updated and nobody ever wrote back to my inquiry. the bank of lithuania was extremely helpful, but i tried wiring them money twice and they both failed. my bank couldn't understand how to wire money to the central bank of lithuania to an account they keep with chase manhattan. something about different account numbers used for bank to bank transfers, and how 'the central bank of lithuania' wasn't a valid payee name.

sometimes though, banks don't sell directly to people. for example, if you ask the Landsbanki Føroya for faroese notes, they'll apologize and ask you to come visit them in person. they'll also refer you to another faeroes bank to see if they'd send you any.

unfortunately, i haven't seen any bank offer uncirculated notes at face value. they usually charge a modest premium. nothing too crazy though. the central bank of malta sells their 10 lire millenium note for around 14 lire, and the swedish bank charged 150 kroner for their commemorative 100 kroner note.

... the bank of lithuania was extremely helpful, but i tried wiring them money twice and they both failed. my bank couldn't understand how to wire money to the central bank of lithuania to an account they keep with chase manhattan. something about different account numbers used for bank to bank transfers, and how 'the central bank of lithuania' wasn't a valid payee name. ...

I once was about to place an order with the Bank of Lithuania for some coins (until I came in contact with a dealer who had all of the items I was looking for), and the payment to the Bank was to be sent to an account they have in Germany set up specifically for international orders. Fortunately I found the dealer as the payment service charge (euro transfer to Germany, then currency exchange to litas) would have cost as much as the coin I was about to order. :ninja:

GX....

I am trying to get any polymer banknotes that I can lay my hands on. :lol:

I already have a total of 7 from different countries.

2 from Zambia (K500, K1000)

1 from Nepal (10 Rupees)

1 from Solomon Islands (2 dollars)

2 from Romania (2000 Lei and 10000 Lei)

1 from Papua New Guinea (2 Kina)

I would love to get the rest from Romania and Papua New Guinea, as well as ones from Australia and Ireland.

• 7 months later...
I was checking out a link that sent me to a website that deals with Polymer banknotes. I saw that in alot of cases the issuing bank/athourity had a website. I was wondering if anyone has tried emailing the bank or monetary athourity about getting banknotes at the current exchange rate?

There is no reason at all why you shouldn't ask Central Banks about selling you notes - I think about forty or fifty of them will, although some have quite a difficult procedure.

The easiest I have found is Gibraltar - go to the Gibraltar Philatelic Bureau site, look for banknotes, choose the ones you want and then pay by credit card. Thay will charge a 10% premium on face value.

For a polymer note, try the Northern Bank in Belfast - their new £5 note is polymer.

Most Central Banks that do sell notes will charge a premium but a few will sell for face value plus the cost of registered postage - which can make a small order quite costly. Which countries are you interested in?

Arghans

GX....

I am trying to get any polymer banknotes that I can lay my hands on. ;)

I already have a total of 7 from different countries.

2 from Zambia (K500, K1000)

1 from Nepal (10 Rupees)

1 from Solomon Islands (2 dollars)

2 from Romania (2000 Lei and 10000 Lei)

1 from Papua New Guinea (2 Kina)

I would love to get the rest from Romania and Papua New Guinea, as well as ones from Australia and Ireland.

I can send you the new Singapore $2 Polymer at face value for your collection. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you don't get any responses you can try this ebay store. I have bought from them and have never had a problem. They have polymer notes starting at $0.99 BIN + shipping. And they will combine shipping cost.

http://stores.ebay.com/WORLD-BANKNOTES-AND-COINS-GALLERY

Hi Brett, Wow this ebay store has a huge collection of notes for bids. I can bid some notes there. Thank you.

:ninja:

I just heard back from the Nationl Bank of Romania. All I have to do is tell them what I want, and how many, and they will send them after I wire them the money. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

By all means, you can try writing to the central banks, but in my experience, a large number of the email addresses on their sites are dead and will result in bounced email. Of those that work, you will rarely receive any replies. There are a few banks, however, that are set up to fulfill orders from collectors and they charge a small premium over face for S&H. The hassle factor involved is one reason that dealers in modern notes are justified in charging almost twice face value to make any profit.

Archived