gpnyc

Ah, we really know the reason you bought this is it's PCI-6 potential!  :ninja:

Very nice, thank you for sharing.

PCI-6? What's that? :lol: Heh heh heh.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got this a few months ago but haven't been able to take decent pics until now. So hard to capture the true look of this coin with a camera but I finally did it.

910007.jpg

It is a lovely piece, proof positive that the USA could once produce lovely coinage :lol:

Surely that has never been in doubt.

Time has however moved on and for various reasons coinage is no longer the medium for art that it used to be (at least IMHO). As we all know, there are the occasional jaw dropping exceptions (worldwide) that make a rare appearance from time to time. :ninja:

Not really a new purchase. I already owned these coins but I had them put together in a multi-coin slab. They are a nice matching set.

What are the rules for creating cutome slabs?

There are very few limitations or rules as to what you can do with these custom holders.

See this link for more detailed info:

NGC Multi-coin holders

• 4 months later...

Just arrived after hibernating on Lay-away for 90 days. My first (and quite likely last) early gold proof.

1897 Proof Liberty Quarter Eagle. NGC PR-63 Ultra Cameo

915916.jpg

The 1897 is a scarce, later-date issue in the proof Liberty Quarter Eagle series. A mere 136 proofs were minted and survival estimates are fewer than half (45-50) in all grades. The glassy fields are well contrasted by heavily frosted devices that display exacting sharpness , hence the Ultra Cameo designation. A few field abrasions limit the grade on this rarity.

Latest auction win:

1892 Christopher Columbus Exposition Medal, Struck in Silver,designed by Lea Ahlborn. Eglit-112. Outstanding original mint luster with superb prooflike surfaces. An extremely scarce type. NGC MS-64.

915993.jpg

Latest auction win:

1892 Christopher Columbus Exposition Medal, Struck in Silver,designed by Lea Ahlborn.  Eglit-112.  Outstanding original mint luster with superb prooflike surfaces.  An extremely scarce type.  NGC MS-64.

915993.jpg

Beautiful! :ninja:

• 2 months later...

Arrived today. I guess you can still find good stuff on eBay. I took a chance on a new seller with zero feedback...

1869 US Mint Pacific Railway Completion Medal. Bronze. High Relief. HK#12. 45mm dia., 4mm thick.

918047.jpg

• 1 month later...

Scratch this one off the "must own one some day" list.

1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree Shilling

Noe-17, R.3. Though all Pine Tree Shillings are dated 1652, they were actually minted from 1667-1682. This example is of the Small Planchet variety, which were struck on thicker, smaller diameter planchets than their predecessors. Natural dark-gray fields combine with lighter silver-gray legends to produce a classic, original appearance. Nicely centered on a full planchet with just modest weakness at the base of the obverse & reverse. Full legends and strong detail throughout. Circulated but never damaged or sratched in any way. A small egde defect at 5:30 (as made) does not detract. This variety is easily identifiable by what has been termed a "bird's nest break" within the tree's branches as well as the extraneous denticles above the AS in MASATHVSETS.

919222.jpg

Archived