CoinPeople.com

GP's new old stuff

gpnyc

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
919222.jpg

Never noticed before but the W in NEW looks like a lot wider than other letters, looks like the took a V and hit it twice VV, are other examples done like that?

Never noticed before but the W in NEW looks like a lot wider than other letters, looks like the took a V and hit it twice VV, are other examples done like that?

Yes indeed, they must have, here is another from a current eBay auction:

sl4851-r.JPG

Notice the W is composed clearly from two V's.

• 3 months later...

1866 Shield Nickel (with Rays) - NGC Proof-65 Cameo

923728.jpg

The first year specimen strikings of this type are the only readily available proof Shield Nickels with rays, the 1867 being a famed rarity. As with many examples of this first-year proof nickel, this coin presents with planchet problems, the most obvious of which is a reverse planchet void to the right of the 5. A lightly toned Gem with good contrast and clean surfaces. Both sides have a tiny center dot, the result of a point of compass that was used to lay out the design for the master die. From an official mintage of 125 pieces, though the true number is believed to range from 300 to 400.

1866 Shield Nickel (with Rays) - NGC Proof-65 Cameo

923728.jpg

The first year specimen strikings of this type are the only readily available proof Shield Nickels with rays, the 1867 being a famed rarity. As with many examples of this first-year proof nickel, this coin presents with planchet problems, the most obvious of which is a reverse planchet void to the right of the 5. A lightly toned Gem with good contrast and clean surfaces. Both sides have a tiny center dot, the result of a point of compass that was used to lay out the design for the master die. From an official mintage of 125 pieces, though the true number is believed to range from 300 to 400.

;):D;):ninja:;) ;) :D:D

Wow!

I've always loved the shield nickels with rays, but that just knocked my socks off!

That is really an amazing coin! (With an amazing mintage! :D )

Congratulation's on the addition!

I don't know if this is proper numismatist etiquette, but how much did that beauty cost?

Thanks for all the kind words. This coin puts me half way to completing a long term goal, an 1866 cameo proof set. I now have 5 out of 10 of the coins needed. (No gold proofs unless I win the lottery).

• 3 weeks later...

Another piece of my 1866 cameo proof set falls neatly into place. I got this one for a little over half of what its really worth. Heritage had it listed with non-cameo past sales so I don't think other bidders paid attention to its true value. There are only 8 pieces certified by NGC as Cameo! Oh well, the consignor's loss is my gain.

924339.jpg

The surfaces of this scarce cameo proof near-Gem are deeply mirrored with delightful purple-gold and cyan highlights in the fields. The devices show significant portions of mint frost, thus giving the coin noticeable cameo contrast. Although the official mintage is 725 coins, the exact number struck is unknown. Early die states of this issue with cameo contrast are quite rare with only 8 such pieces certified by NGC.

Far out, GP! an IHC proof is high on my whimful want list. In fact, that era of proofs is spectacularly unnoticed, in my opinion. I'd pay more for a 1940's proof with 15K+ mintage than for a 1890's proof with <1000. Don't tell the mainstream market though

• 3 weeks later...

Some 2007 additions: 75¢ face value in quarters....

1838 SEATED LIBERTY QUARTER (No Drapery). NGC MS63

925285.jpg

1859 SEATED LIBERTY QUARTER (No Motto). PCGS PR64

925286.jpg

1866 SEATED LIBERTY QUARTER (Motto Added). NGC PR65 Cameo

925287.jpg

:ninja:;);)

What can you even say about those other than I really wish they were mine...

Thanks so much for sharing pictures of them - Incredible coins...

Darryl

Archived