CoinPeople.com

Fancy Banknote numbers?

gxseries

Does anyone come across any neat nice banknote numbers, such as a straight row number, as in 11111111 or anything as neat as a row like this? 12345678

Of course it must be pretty difficult to get a row of straight numbers... :ninja:

If I am not wrong, this is what I have. I have a 1997 Russian serial no, ab 6666655, Australian 100 dollar, CB969996999 (can't remember exactly...) and Japan 2000 yen, HB 551155 (they are all coming off from my head so meh.)

;)

Does anyone come across any neat nice banknote numbers, such as a straight row number, as in 11111111 or anything as neat as a row like this? 12345678

Of course it must be pretty difficult to get a row of straight numbers... :ninja:

If I am not wrong, this is what I have. I have a 1997 Russian serial no, ab 6666655, Australian 100 dollar, CB969996999 (can't remember exactly...)  and Japan 2000 yen, HB 551155 (they are all coming off from my head so meh.)

;)

You know there's a whole load of proper terminology for numbers like that on notes, can't remember any of them at present.

wow, this is a hot topic. Nice banknotes O_O

Does anyone know if there are countries that actually DO auction such fancy numbers off to the public before they even hit the banks for circulations? I know Singapore does that, as they auction off all the straight numbers and other reserved numbers. I don't know if other countries do that, but I honestly thought that is a brilliant way for the printing companies; not that I would like it, but at least I know that I can buy it if I wished to.

Something off topic, but there was several cases in Japan this year as the banknotes changed, where bank employees were found to have exchanged such "fancy" numbers with their own. Well, hard to say what kind of crime that is, but yes, if I am remember right, they were charged under the law of pampering public properties or something.

I have noticed that its easy to get low and facy serial numbers from India and Lithuania, I don't know why but if you browse through ebay you will find many, specially from India, I've got a 000006 and a 0000056 from those countries.

Around a year ago a US $20 note was sold at ebay with the number 12345678, below is the image:

da35hp.jpg

Good link for US fancy serial numbers with many images:

http://www.usarare.com/fsndb.html

Interesting group of India notes:

1068973916363indiars10k20k1m0w.jpg

Here's an interesting number on a USBEP printed Cuban 10 peso note I have. I never noticed the number when I was bidding on it on eBay. It wasn't until I got the note did I 'note' the serial number...

895946A.jpg

895946B.jpg

I save interesting #s I come across in circulation... really not worth more than face value, but fun to have. Sadly, the lowest I have found was a 00001637. I have about 15 or 20 bills that I have come across with 5 or 6 of the same # repeated in a row. I'd have to look through my world notes for my strangest #s, which is probably a pretty good sign that I don't have an fantastic ones.

Guest Aidan Work

The lowest number I have ever found in change is AA 01 000400.It is a New Zealand plastic $5 Brash dated 2001.The '01' is the date code.This note came from one of the Reserve Bank folder sets,which the R.B.N.Z. split up & issued the notes from.The lowest number note that I do have is 0000009,which came with a certificate bearing the printed signature of Donald T. Brash,the then Governor of the R.B.N.Z..This was issued at the 1990 Numismatic Convention.I bought it off a collector who wanted to off-load it,as he was falling on hard times.

Aidan.

• 3 weeks later...
Really??? With €uro notes or markkaa notes? And how was this done (what venue etc.)?

Oh, I didn't say that right... I'm not sure if it was the government that set up the auctions, but there was a bunch of 5 Markkaas on some internet auction site, they all had repeating, incredibly low, etc. serial numbers.

• 2 months later...

If I am not wrong, this is what I have. I have a 1997 Russian serial no, ab 6666655, Australian 100 dollar, CB969996999 (can't remember exactly...)  and Japan 2000 yen, HB 551155 (they are all coming off from my head so meh.)

;)

I collect banknotes with exactly all 1's in their serial numbers (11111111), and I managed to "find" over a hundred of these from around 50 different countries/issuing authorities.

It is actually not extremely difficult to purchase banknotes with this type of numbers from many countries. If the demand of collectors from a country is high enough, then these notes will almost always be kept by the bank employees or even by the issuing department (for auction sale).

By the way, if anyone has any 1111111 notes for sale I would be glad to be informed.

I'm afraid that even after working at a grocery store for three years, the best I've got in American money is a 00858686, but I am particularly proud of my 2 Russian 1909 5 ruble notes with consecutive serial numbers that I was able to put together. The first (YA-117) I bought from a dealer friend of mine who saw that I had interests in Russian currency, and I later found it's brother (YA-118) on Ebay, so I picked it up! :ninja:

~AJ