CoinPeople.com

F.U.N. show report

Dan769

Hi everyone,

Back from the FUN show in Orlando and another great time. I went on Saturday with some friends, fun but sometimes they slow things down.

Place was busy early with over 90% of the dealers still in attendence.

I'm thinking Saturday isn't the best day to go to this show. By large most coins in dealers cases were not choice, and incredibly I was hard pressed to find additions to my type set.

As ususal Morgans were everywhere and I've I tired of seeing them everywhere. Although I did see a few decent ones, notably a F-12 1893-S and some nice Carson City examples.

The had the Brasher doubloons on display with a guard 3 feet away. Drop dead beauties, and I apologize because I'm an idiot and didn't take pics of them even tho I had my camera with me. forgot I had it :ninja:

They had the world/foriegn dealers in one certain area which was nice and made it easy to look for coins for my Portuguese type set, which I found many.

At 11:00 am they called those who were invited to the NGC lucheon upstairs, but I was reluctant to go because I wanted coins. Finally after the 3rd and last call at 11:30 I showed up at the luncheon and was I glad I did.

First off the women in charge, Deena, greeted me like I was the President. Very pleasant and semi formal, then she handed me 2 gifts for just showing up!

One was a book Complete Guide to Mercury dimes, next was a five piece 2005 statehood quarter set in a special NGC holder, PICS will follow later I promise.

Once inside some big dude in a suit walked over , introduced himself and handed me 2 samples of graded currency that NGC is now doing, very nice and completely unexpected as I was just expecting lunch, which also was excellect!

They had a question /discussion after lunch about the goings on at NGC which was nice.

Back to the show, found a slew of Portuguese coins, way to many to mention, but I did manage some pics which are coming later.

Also managed to grab the Krause guide to Spanish & Portuguese coins brand new for $30, other book sellers there were selling it for retail $49.99.

I only bought 3 coins for my US type set. 1863 copper nickel cent for $20, a 1917 type 1 SLQ in XF for $60 and a 1843-O Seated half in XF for $70. Many of the coins I looked at, trade dollars and seated dollars were either too high grade ie: expensive, or had serious problems, mostly cleaning.

It was very difficult to find coins with just the right look, which I am attributing to being there on Sat, with the good stuff already gone.

Overall a good show, I didn't see anybody I knew, was looking for the dutchman but couldn't remeber his table.

Pics will follow of purchases, I've maxed out my galley space and have to clean it out.

Great report, Dan :ninja:

You can get a free photo album space at Photobucket.com and keep more pics there, then link 'em to the threads here.

Very nice report. Thanks for posting it. I've heard a number of theories about the quality of coins in the dealers cases. One is that the bull market has been going on for so long that quality is in truly short supply. Don't know but it sounds reasonable.

Thanks for having a good time! :ninja: I always appreciate a vicarious experience! ;)

I have made that show in the past and found it right up there with an ANA show, but, as your report proved, somewhat more personalized.

I think that the best times to go to a show are on the first or last days. Any time is a good time and better than not going at all. Sometimes you have to ask. The dealer does not know what YOU consider a good buy and has to put out what they guess "somebody else" might like. So, I always ask.

all I have to say is WOW!!...I just got home after a 16 hour drive from orlando to indy...most of the big deals happened on setup day...I had a great time...and I got some unique things to remember the show by...the gentleman who was making the tokens for the show made me a few error FUN show tokens which I will post some pictures of when I get unpacked...I will post more later right now i'm freekin exausted

Dan I was at the Show Friday Saturday and Sunday and helped man the TCCS both most of the time. I did make it to the PCGS and Registry Luncheons as well......

You may remember me as I was the 30ish guy that thanked Mark Salzeberg and NGC for creating the Signature sets in the registry!!!

I also thought the food, freebies, and Q&A session were much better than PCGS's!!! I'll start a thread and post my toned Newps from the show......would have been nice to meet you (if I didn't) becuase I met dozens of PCGS, NGC, and TCCS forum members over the 3-days.

Great show as always and man do I love living in Orlando!!!!!

Dan I was at the Show Friday Saturday and Sunday and helped man the TCCS both most of the time. I did make it to the PCGS and Registry Luncheons as well......

You may remember me as I was the 30ish guy that thanked Mark Salzeberg and NGC for creating the Signature sets in the registry!!!

I also thought the food, freebies, and Q&A session were much better than PCGS's!!! I'll start a thread and post my toned Newps from the show......would have been nice to meet you (if I didn't) becuase I met dozens of PCGS, NGC, and TCCS forum members over the 3-days.

Great show as always and man do I love living in Orlando!!!!!

OK I think I remember you asking that question, you were sitting closest to the door with your back to it?

If so I was at the next table to your left.

Actually I was sitting on the left side of the room the second table back from the podium. I was sitting to the right of a little old white haired lady. We had a full table and a young kid (15) came and sat with us about 30 minutes into the luncheon.....

ring a bell??

Doesn't matter just letting yu know I was there as well and got the freebies!!! :ninja:

Archived