CoinPeople.com

Lions on Banknotes

Art

The Jan 9 issue of Coin World has a very nice article by Jeff Starch that deals with collecting banknotes that have lions on them. He talks about many of the notes from Africa that have lions and gives details and pictures of quite a few. An interesting point was made about banknotes that may have lions as part of a larger scene, for example on a shield or coat of arms. This is yet another path for the collectors.

UnK -- this one's for you buddy. I'm clip the article for you when I'm done reading this issue.

For those interested in banknotes and theme collecting, the article is well written and worth the time to read and investigate.

can this article be viewed anywhere on-line? I love bank notes with animals on them. Particularly if the animal is the central theme.

Not that I know of - without an online subscription that is. I'll ask a couple of folks for their copies when they're done with them. If I can get one, I'll mail it off to you.

There's a lion on the 5 Pesos of this particularly beautiful series of Costa Rican banknotes:

CostaRicaPS163r1-5Pesos-1899_f.jpg

CostaRicaPS164r-10Pesos-1899-donatedrr_f.jpg

CostaRicaPS165r-20Pesos-1899-donatedrr_f.jpg

I've found the 5 and 20, but I'm having a hard time getting the 10 for a decent price. Many people don't realise that as remainders they shouldn't go for very much.

There's a lion on the 5 Pesos of this particularly beautiful series of Costa Rican banknotes:

Nice notes McDoo. Good to see you back posting. :ninja:

The only mexican note with lions that comes to my mind right now is this one:

500londmex0zh.gif

500 pesos Banco de Londres y Mexico (London & Mexico), I would love to own that one even in that condition :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In fact, all Singapore currency starting from Orchid Series, Bird Series, Ship Series and even the current Portrait series, all bare the image of a standing lion. It can be found on the Singapore Crest. If you look carefully at the crest, there is a lion and tiger standing.Singapore is known as the Lion City. A lion was first spotted by an early founder of Singapore. He is a Hindu Prince from indonesia. That's how Singapore got it's name. In Malay, Singapore is known as Singapura. In Hindi, Singa means Lion. Singa pore is Lion city.In the early Orchid series, the watermark also bear a side view of a lion. See below of this $25 denomination Singapore Orchid series note.

Orchid-25-971676.jpg

Archived