CoinPeople.com

Its official. Bush signed the President dollar

Dockwalliper

4 coins a year. So it should be a 10 year run. I'm excited about it. I think they'll be fun to collect. 10 years is a long time and the dollar coin could well become a staple of use during that period. Worst case there's always the bank and the Post Office vending machines.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10578448/

And according to CoinWorld, Technicians at the Philadelphia Mint have been experimenting for more than a year trying to perfect edge lettering capabilities.

I believe edge lettering was perfected years ago.I'm thinking of German coins with Gott Mit Uns on the edge.

A dollar coin is long overdue, but issuing 4 a year of dead presidents smacks of pure profit seeking. :ninja:

With such a subtitle in the article:

"Lawmakers hope currency will be a big money maker for the government"

...it sure does not seem like they are being coy about it. ;)

I really like this idea, and will certainly collect them. But I wish they would have made them different. I would have definatly like a bi-metallic coin, or even layers like the quarters.

The picture in that article also looks a little plain. I'm glad to see the Statue of Liberty on a coin, But the back could be a lot better. There is hardly anything on it. I think they should spell out One Dollar, instead of having $1. And on the front, the word "Washington" starts almost on his shirt!

This should be quite a challange for the mint.  This will be more letters on the edge of a coin than ever before (30), and on a coin little more than half the size of the previous record holder, the bust dollar with 27 letters.

Anything requiring artistic merit and technical prowess presents a challenge to the USA mint which they have predetermined they will not meet, so they set the bar low.

Anything requiring artistic merit and technical prowess presents a challenge to the USA mint which they have predetermined they will not meet, so they set the bar low.

Do you think the Statue of Liberty will have spaghetti hair? :ninja:

Archived