CoinPeople.com

Russian Medal-viewing pleasure?

drwstr123

Gorgeous medal, Mike !!!

What a gorgeous medal! :ninja: I love the ones of Alexander II, thanks for sharing. Allmost ruined my computer by drooling on it...

This link might be usefull when dealing with cyrillic letters.

wow thanks for coming in here.

A similar question was asked a few months and I was suprised.

Before you sell the medal, will it be possible for you to tell me who the die medallist is? The engraver's name is at the collar. :ninja:

This medal is the work of Alexander Lialin (signed "А. ЛЯЛИНЪ") who was an engraver at the St. Petersburg Mint. Lialin was also Professor of medal-engraving at the Academy of Fine Arts from 1851 until his death in 1861. He was also the engraver of the 1859 Nicholas I Memorial commemorative ruble.

The medal is also known struck in silver and in gold.

This medal is the work of Alexander Lialin (signed "А. ЛЯЛИНЪ") who was an engraver at the St. Petersburg Mint.  Lialin was also Professor of medal-engraving at the Academy of Fine Arts from 1851 until his death in 1861.  He was also the engraver of the 1859 Nicholas I Memorial commemorative ruble.

The medal is also known struck in silver and in gold.

Lialin!!! :ninja:

Hi, just got in, patience please ,new to the board, see if this link works:

http://www.harrybassfoundation.org/sale1-3.asp

refer to item #2222, coronation medal struck in silver. That's all the info I have on the medal. Mike

The one pictured is not silver though.

It was not my main priority, but I did try to get this medal yesterday. Unfortunately it went too high for me. :ninja: I do not collect medals but as this one had a strong theme of local history I really wanted it. It was released 2 years after the unveiling of the statue of Alexander II in the Senate Square in Helsinki in 1894.

Muistomerkin neljällä sivulla ovat lakia, työtä, rauhaa ja valoa kuvaavat vertauskuvalliset veistokset. Laki - veistoksen lain jumalatarta esittävä naishahmo leijonineen on muistomerkin eteläreunalla. Myöhemmin jumalatar samaistettiin Suomi-neidoksi. Muistomerkistä löytyvät myös Suomen maakuntavaakunat sekä vuosiluku 1863, jolloin Suomen valtiopäivien toiminta alkoi uudestaan yli viidenkymmenen vuoden tauon jälkeen.

Yep :ninja:

alkoholi, viina, väkijuoma Now these are really important Finnish words ;)

Sir: a beautiful medal indeed.

As to the last post, my ignorance shows. Is there someone who could translate? Otherwise the post will have to go unanswered. Thanks, Mike

It is Finnish and it describes the monument mentioned on the link I posted. If you would like a full translation I can do that for you. :ninja:

Archived