CoinPeople.com

New mexican $100 bimetallic coins

cowhodan

Hello everyone,

The 1st series of $100 coins has ended, so the 2nd part has started. This time the themes will be typical architecture, wildlife, art, science, fauna, flora, dances or interesting geographic zones, each state will choose its own theme.

The first coin is Aguascalientes:

aguascalientes7yi.th.jpg

The characteristics are the same, silver center and br ring.

Definitely one of my favourite bimetals. :ninja:

The prices for the 1st series are 15-18 depending on the coin, unfortunately I cant get them at the banks as just very few coins arrive each time (5-6 pcs), the last ones are cheaper than the first ones. Zacatecas, Yucatan & Veracruz that were the 1st coins are more expensive than the rest: 35-30-25 each, they have become hard to find.

The 2nd series is just beginning but I guess the prices will be the same, around $15, it promises to be more interesting than the first one that only depicted shields. If you are interested in getting some let me know, I can get the 29 coins that you need to complete the series.

Daniel

Thanks for sharing these.

It would be nice if the US mint would do something different like this, have a circulation strike silver coin that you could buy at the bank for face value. Say like a $10 coin or something. They would make quite a profit on the seignorage as long as silver stays under that value.

Can you please post images of the others when you get a chance?

Thanks for sharing these.

It would be nice if the US mint would do something different like this, have a circulation strike silver coin that you could buy at the bank for face value.  Say like a $10 coin or something.  They would make quite a profit on the seignorage as long as silver stays under that value. 

Can you please post images of the others when you get a chance?

Technically they are for circulation, but with a mintage of only 250,000 or less you just dont see them at the street.

The 1st series is a bit boring, all depicting the shield of each state, here's the image of the same coin (Aguascalientes):

ags1qw.jpg

When the next coin of this 2nd series is released I'll post a pic, hope its as nice as this 1st one.

Forgot to ask, where in Mexico are you from? I was born in Guadalajara, Jalisco.

:ninja:

Jalisco makes me think in lots of Tequila ;)

Im in Puebla, which is far away from Guadalajara, both are nice cities

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
The second coin has been released, this time it has to do with fauna, it looks like a carnero, but Im not sure of its english name :ninja: :

bajacal4zx.th.jpg

That's a bighorn sheep. I got a few bi-metallic coins in change when in Mexico two years ago. They are beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a terrific set of coins. I llike all of the designs so far but the Big Horn is my favorite.

Mexico does have some beautiful and interesting coins.

I agree. Too bad I didn't pick any up when I was there about...ooo....6-8 years ago. Even the older stuff looks great.

When I was in Cancun in 1992, there were no bimetallic coins at all, just really fat brass $100 coins. It would certainly be cool to pick up a bimetallic silver coin in circulation at face value, but somehow I doubt these circulate much.

The third coin was released today, it depicts a cactus, deer and the map of Baja California:

bajacalsur2bq.jpg

My favourite design is still the first one :ninja:

Now that I look at this piece more closely, I believe the deer design is actually an image derived from the prehistoric paintings of Baja. They are large, mural-sized images painted in cave in the remote canyons of Baja.

• 3 weeks later...

How many designs can you put on a coin :ninja: ?

coah2eh.jpg

the map of coahuila, a turtle, grapes, a church, a cavern with a mining truck, a dam, Christ, two chimneys and other strange objects...

Archived