Swiss Shooting Medals

1929 Bellinzona, Canton Ticino
R1468a / M859
Federal Shoot
Silver
27mm
Engraver: Agostino Balestra / Huguenin, Le Locle
RR

​Perhaps a tad more rare than RR in terms of procurement and sightings. As I have stated previously, looped medals are difficult to place in my normal template, please pardon the simple format. :black eye:

R1468a_zps3746cbf8.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1974 Tirol, Austria

State Shoot
Silver
40mm

Proof

A modern shooting medal from Austria. I have always liked Austrian medals from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries The more artistic and silver ones are somewhat difficult to come by since they do not come to market often, one reason is because there are fewer to begin with. I obtained this modern medal of 1974 because the engraving piqued my interest, it is larger than many Austrian silver shooting medals and at the time I had never seen this example offered.

1974Tirol_zps88fdd14a.jpg

Another double submission. Not sure why this is happening. Has this happened to anyone else recently?

The last two times I submitted a post, when I clicked submit I received an error message when I used to just see my new post. After I refresh I see my post but there are two of them, so I delete the duplicate and add text and in this case this explanation.

Error message: Warning: Base directory HTML_PURIFIER_PATHcache/tmp does not exist, please create or change using %Cache.SerializerPath in /home/omnicoin/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php on line 133

I have not posted any pictures of Swiss shooting abzeichen (shooting badges/decorations) so I thought I would whet your appetite with a few rather old and rarer ones. Of the 15 pictured here, 7 of them are silver. Silver abzeichen are rare and usually the silver ones are from the 1920's and 1930's and earlier. I have seen abzeichen from the late 1800's and I'm sure most of you have seen the modern ones being sold as shooting medals on the bay.

110313007_zps964e2de5.jpg

Starting with the top row left to right:

(1) Late 1920's, Distinction award, Silver (2) Mels 1928 (3) Bellinzona, Ticino 1929 (4) Bürglen, Thurgau 1932, Silver (5) Ranger Shoot, 1937, Silver

(6) Langau, Bern 1937 (7) Section Competition, Vaud 1920, double sided (8) St. Galen 1929 (9) Late 1920's, Silver (10) 100 years of the Carabiniers 1925

(11) Arosa, Grabünden, Winter Shoot 1937 (12) Brütten, Zürich 1933 (13) Reinach, Aargau 1935 (14) Bern, Bern 1926, Silver (15) Basel about 1930, Silver

The abzeichen from the 1920's and 1930's and earlier are more difficult to find than common shooting medals. 1940's to 1960's are about as easy to obtain as common shooting medals and the abzeichen from the last 40 years are somewhat easier to find and obtain. The average market for the latter is about $5.00 - $10.00 and some of the older ones like those I have pictured are considerably more.

Wow. Several of those I love. How much easier are they to come by vs. the medals?

I can't read all of the years. Which is the oldest?

Starting with the top row left to right:

(1) Late 1920's, Distinction award, Silver (2) Mels 1928 (3) Bellinzona, Ticino 1929 (4) Bürglen, Thurgau 1932, Silver (5) Ranger Shoot, 1937, Silver

(6) Langau, Bern 1937 (7) Section Competition, Vaud 1920, double sided (8) St. Galen 1929 (9) Late 1920's, Silver (10) 100 years of the Carabiniers 1925

(11) Arosa, Grabünden, Winter Shoot 1937 (12) Brütten, Zürich 1933 (13) Reinach, Aargau 1935 (14) Bern, Bern 1926, Silver (15) Basel about 1930, Silver

The abzeichen from the 1920's and 1930's and earlier are more difficult to find than common shooting medals. 1940's to 1960's are about as easy to obtain as common shooting medals and the abzeichen from the last 40 years are somewhat easier to find and obtain. The average market for the latter is about $5.00 - $10.00 and some of the older ones like those I have pictured are considerably more.

• 1 month later...

1911 Olten, canton Solothurn

R1130a / M653

Jubilee Shoot

Gold

23 mm

Mintage: 60 pieces (without "A")

Engraver: Holy Freres, St. Imier

RRR

In original case of issue.

Please note that many sellers state original case of issue when a medal is available in a case. Unless the case is identified to the specific shoot or some other type of unique identifying feature then there is no "proof" that the case is the original one. Over the years many dealers have acquired cases that accept different millimeter diameters and have put medals in them, this does not make the case the original one. However, there are many cases that were not identified (embossed) in any way when awarded, thus in original case. Because of this, it is easy to call a case the original case of issue and many times it just may be but other times not...

OltenAu_zps7f52ab41.jpg

DSCN1133_zps90de5bc8.jpg

That's really cool, Rod. At first, I thought the medal was a brass that took the tone of gold. But in the holder pic it is much more apparent it is gold.

Rod - I collect medals from World's Fairs - especially the 1904 St Louis fair - amazing how few boxes and paperwork are available for the medals - I did buy one on eBay once curiously enough from a seller in Great Britain and for a pittance of a price. I also collect the 1918-1920 Memorial Plaques or "death pennies" with original paperwork and it is even much more difficult to find them - but I did find the original mailer, paperwork etc for an American soldier that served in the Royal Army during the war.

Rod - I collect medals from World's Fairs - especially the 1904 St Louis fair - amazing how few boxes and paperwork are available for the medals - I did buy one on eBay once curiously enough from a seller in Great Britain and for a pittance of a price. I also collect the 1918-1920 Memorial Plaques or "death pennies" with original paperwork and it is even much more difficult to find them - but I did find the original mailer, paperwork etc for an American soldier that served in the Royal Army during the war.

Hi,

Finding medals in the original case is always a positive. I have been lucky enough to acquire some medals with the original winner's name tag on the case, medals with notes inside them regarding the shoot and or the recipient, and a number of souvenir medals that have their original price paperwork within. I have some very old shooting medals in their original paper wrappers as issued at the shoot. It is quite rewarding to find this type of paperwork included with a medal as you well know and it also increases the value of said medal.

1859 Zürich, canton Zürich
R1724d / M101
Federal Free Shoot
WM
41 mm
Engraver: Sebald Drentwett, Augsburg
R
In original paper wrapper issue - RRR

Picture 1: The medal in UNC/issued condition (other than 154+ years in the paper wrapper)

Picture 2: Shows the medal inside the original paper wrapper as issued.

Picture 3: Shows the text written on the inside of the wrapper once unfolded. The paper wrapper is folded in such a way that it is tucked in to itself so it remains wrapped and intact.

1859Zurich_zps8d68b4f5.jpg

122313001_zps301b84f7.jpg

122313002_zps59af5376.jpg

Here is an almost perfect example of a beautifully engraved shooting medal. It was obtained in the original case of issue (shown here) from which it has been rarely removed since the day it was awarded.

1891 Burgdorf, canton Bern
R215a / M133
Bern Cantonal Shoot

45 mm
Mintage: 1656
Engraver: Franz Homberg, Bern

Burgdorf1891_zpsb8bb7365.jpg

Burgdorf1891case_zpsc3b05f24.jpg