CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

More beautiful medals. I really enjoy seeing your collection. Thanks for sharing it with us. :bthumbsup:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More beautiful medals. I really enjoy seeing your collection. Thanks for sharing it with us. :bthumbsup:

Thanks for the recognition Art. :art:

I enjoy the hobby so much and wish to show others the reason I have been collecting for so many years. Medals are my focus but I collect all forms of schützenfest memorabilia including: Cups, bechers, any other forms of schützenfest awards, post cards, jetons, decorations, and other miscellany.

1909 Winterthur, Canton Zurich

R1801b / M1079

Cantonal Shoot

Silver

23mm

Engraver: Hans Frei, Basel

Mintage: 78

RR

5681668a.jpg

Wonderful design. I was going to click on the like this button (I guess that is part of the new upgrade), but it says I have reached my quota for the day. I like a lot posted here, but I didn't think I had been on today before now. Oh well, I do like it.

1909 Winterthur, Canton Zurich

R1801b / M1079

Cantonal Shoot

Silver

23mm

Engraver: Hans Frei, Basel

Mintage: 78

RR

I recognize that naked baby. Is that used in many other medal designs?

I recognize that naked baby. Is that used in many other medal designs?

That baby is not used in regards to any shooting medals I am aware of except the medal above. This is just my recollection and I have not referenced Richter to say for sure. I can say that William Tell's son is used in great numbers on Swiss schützenfest medals.

Unfortunately, I don't know off the top of my head what I was thinking about... Maybe I've seen that baby on the same medal but a different specimen

1959 Swiss Match Shooters Association

R1969b

Silver

30mm

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

R

Note: As the year has been engraved, there are medals that exist with different dates. So far dates known are; 1944, 1950, 1959, and 1960. The engraved inscription shows several categories including Match Pistol, Ordinance Pistol, and Large Caliber Pistol.

61fd802c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

1864 Genève, Canton Genèva

R594c / M297

Federal Shoot of the Inauguration of the National Monument

BR

47 mm

Engraver: Antoine Bovy, Geneve / Robert Dorer, Baden

Note: An historical medal minted to commemorate the inauguration of the National Monument also exists. It appears the same as the shooting medal with a different inscription. Many confuse this historical medal with the shooting one.

c3e3645f.jpg

1835 Demigny, France

Chivalry of Demigny

Shoot of 1835

Silver

39 mm

Engraver: Hand engraved

Mintage: Quite possibly unique

RRR

d7dfbf70.jpg

I think that's the oldest one I've seen you post. Wow! Congrats on adding it to your collection