CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

How often do you see mirrored fields?

It is not entirely rare. There are examples of mirrored fields in silver, bronze, and white metal medals. You probably have seen third party grading companies grade older shooting medals as proof, this is incorrect since proof dies were not used during this period. Because of the workmanship of the engraving and dies the resulting medals are often what should be called as Proof Like if graded. Many shooting medals have matte finish, have induced patina, and are proof like. R626b, shown above 2 places, has mirrored fields for example. It is a beautiful example of this particular rare medal.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy these posts. The shooting medal series contains a wide variety of art that is always exceptional in its own right. Great collecting field.

I enjoy these posts. The shooting medal series contains a wide variety of art that is always exceptional in its own right. Great collecting field.

I think my favorite part is that there is so much variety without losing the commonalities.

This could be a Richter 700B that I got earleir this year, very similar to Richter 682b except in year 1897 instead of 1894.

Your medal is, from all I can tell through the pictures, indeed R700b. This medal has the rarity of RR much the same as R680b, although Richter states differently based on incorrect mintage figures. And R682b being RRR not RR as Richter states.

Your medal is, from all I can tell through the pictures, indeed R700b. This medal has the rarity of RR much the same as R680b, although Richter states differently based on incorrect mintage figures. And R682b being RRR not RR as Richter states.

Its nice to have your respones with detail information. Attached below another three 1881 shooting medals. They looks similar one to each other. Any comments will appreciate.

1881 Schweiz Friebourg a.JPG

1881 Schweiz Friebourg b.JPG

1881 a.JPG

1881 b.JPG

1881 Tir Federal a Fribourg .JPG

1881 Tir Federal a Fribourg a.JPG

Its nice to have your respones with detail information. Attached below another three 1881 shooting medals. They looks similar one to each other. Any comments will appreciate.

You posted 3 nice medals and here is a little information if you do not already know:

1. Fribourg 1881, Federal Shoot

R409b / M227

Bronze

47mm

Engraver: Edouard Durussel, Bern

Rarity: RR

2 & 3. Fribourg 1881, Federal Shoot (First picture of this medal is only a thumbnail so it is difficult to see.)

R404a / M223

Silver

47mm

Rarity: RRR

You posted 3 nice medals and here is a little information if you do not already know:

1. Fribourg 1881, Federal Shoot

R409b / M227

Bronze

47mm

Rarity: RR

2 & 3. Fribourg 1881, Federal Shoot (First picture of this medal is only a thumbnail so it is difficult to see.)

R404a / M223

Silver

47mm

Rarity: RRR

Rod, Thanks for your response & appreciate your comment !!!

• 1 month later...

1922 Lugano, canton Ticino

R1458a / M852

Fourth Ticino Cantonal Shoot

Silver

39 mm

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

R

06119838.jpg

A real beauty Rod, if you get tired of it let me know.

A real beauty Rod, if you get tired of it let me know.

Hi Kim,

I was starting to wonder if you were still around. Have not seen you in this specific post for quite a long time. Hope all is well with you. I like the Lugano medal too. In addition to the rarity of the medal, which is my main driving factor in acquiring, I also like the engraving which is always a contributing factor to what I add to the heap.

1902 Geneve

M74 (Swiss Medals)

Tercentennial of Escalade

Silver

60 mm

Engraver: Hugues Bovy, Louis Furet, S. E. M. E., Geneve

R

I acquired this medal because it is rather difficult to obtain in this condition and because I like the content and artistic engraving. I have some historical medals and this recent acquisition was a nice find.

13a72ed2.jpg

If I was that defender on the wall, trying to repulse the escalading soldier, I would either be using the halberd as a pike, level with sharp end pointed at the enemy or if using it as an axe, both hands on the shaft & swinging the blade downwards. The advantage of a halberd is in its reach, which used either as a pike or axe, is greater than a sword, this means you can inflict damaged on a swordsman from a distance, do not get within his reach. As it is the defender looks vunerable to a sword thrust into his manhood...Ouch!

That said, it is a very nice medal, I love the medieval key.

I'm still here Rod, just very busy at work.

Here is a new Hans Frei medal I picked up recently in a Heritage auction that I have been looking for what seems like years...

R-134a-Obv.jpg

R-134a-Rev.jpg

• 2 weeks later...