CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

I think that's the oldest one I've seen you post. Wow! Congrats on adding it to your collection

When I first saw this medal I was astounded by its condition. It is almost as new. The rim imperfections seen are from my posting of the medal/picture. Medals with loops are difficult to put into my presentation template; I have to trace the design and this is painstaking and imperfect as compared to what can be accomplished with a round medal. Regarding the age, I also have a 1651 shooting penny from the Netherlands. The condition is nothing like the Demigny example shown here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1900 Lausanne, Canton Vaud

R1609b / M962

75 Anniversary, Carabiniers of Lausanne 1825 - 1900

BR with 'S'

50 mm

Engraver: Hans Frei, Basel / Ferdinand Hodler, Bern

R

Note: Examples sold to members of the Society of Carabiniers after the schützenfest are engraved with an "S" on the obverse; example shown here.

f6da3f0f.jpg

1934 Fribourg
R1955b / M1131
Honor Medal of the Swiss Shooting Association
Silver
66 mm
Engraver: R. Kissling, Wofwill / G. Hantz, UGD, Geneve (ca. 1922) then Huguenin, Le Locle
Common
Note: This Medal , on occasion of the Swiss Shooting Association was minted in three languages. The specified mintage numbers refer each to all three language versions: 1895 in Winterthur (rifle 8 copies, pistol 2 copies.) 1898 in Neuchâtel (rifle and pistol 9 copies) in 1902 in Lucerne (rifle 33 copies and pistol 7 copies) in 1904 in St. Gallen (rifle 138 copies and pistol 7 copies) 1922 decentralized Schutzenfest (rifle 55 copies and pistol 14 copies) 1924 in Aargau (rifle and pistol156 copies) 1929 Bellinzona, 1934 in Fribourg, 1939 in Lucerne, 1949 in Chur, 1954 in Lausanne in 1958 in Biel, 1963 in Zurich, and in 1969 in Thun. Medals with only a name and without a year are gifts to senior officials or Politicians. Schutzenfests, which were displayed in bold are still known today in the German language. For specimens before 1924 the recess for the inscription is of a slightly different form.

45cad0a4.jpg

1890 Frauenfeld, Canton Thurgau

R1251a / M667

Federal Shoot

Gold

35 mm x 45 mm

67.3 grams

Engraver: Stefano Johnson, Milan

Mintage: 1

RRRR

Note: Lucky enough to purchase this unique and beautiful medal a few years back at an auction held by Spink. I recently purchased a bronze example (not R1251c) from a federal shoot in Rome, Italy in 1890. Same design with different inscription on obverse.

ea068e77.jpg

1890 Frauenfeld, Canton Thurgau

R1251a / M667

Federal Shoot

Gold

35 mm x 45 mm

67.3 grams

Engraver: Stefano Johnson, Milan

Mintage: 1

RRRR

Note: Lucky enough to purchase this unique and beautiful medal a few years back at an auction held by UBS in Zurich. I recently purchased a bronze example (not R1251c) from a federal shoot in Rome, Italy in 1890. Same design with different inscription on obverse.

ea068e77.jpg

Decent size but light weight.S he must be very thin.

Shooting is a very popular sport in the US and has been since the mid 1800s -- at least from my reading and a number of matches I have attended. I'm wondering why there are no US Shooters Medals similar to the Swiss Medals. I'm guessing with competitions being what they are some sort of placement prizes are always awarded. The matches that I've attended usually had money or firearms as prizes. I never gave shooting medals much thought in those days.

Shooting is a very popular sport in the US and has been since the mid 1800s -- at least from my reading and a number of matches I have attended. I'm wondering why there are no US Shooters Medals similar to the Swiss Medals. I'm guessing with competitions being what they are some sort of placement prizes are always awarded. The matches that I've attended usually had money or firearms as prizes. I never gave shooting medals much thought in those days.

I have seen a few examples of late 19th. century early 20th. century United States shooting medals. When available they sell for quite high amounts. I have also seen Swiss shooting medals presented by the US or US shooting teams from the same era.

They were many various forms of Schützenfest awards. Medals being the primary award with pokal and bechers being next and then schützenenuhren (shooting watches). But there were also many other types; guns, silver service of types, clocks, silverware, and others. Most often the shooting committee would solicit the local shop keepers, jewelers, etc for donations of money and fabrication of prizes. These shop owners would frequently fabricate customized examples of their skill as an award. I am lucky enough to have examples of these "other types of awards" in my collection.

• 2 months later...

As an FYI, I have added several medals to my website inventory. From extremely rare to common medals plus a few extremely rare paper jetons.

You are more than welcome to come and visit. I also have a few pictures of the Schützen Museum in Bern from a visit a few years back.

Click on my signature and you will be magically transported.

• 4 weeks later...

1894 Geneve

R682b / M376

Exercices de l'Arquebuse et de la Navigation

BR

51 mm

Engraver: Hugues Bovy, Geneve

Mintage: 6

Please note the mintage in Richter for R680a (Silver, Exercices de l'Arquebuse et de la Navigation similar to this medal and noted being RRR in rarity) is incorrect. There were actually 46 silver and 142 BR pieces minted for medal R680a, not 5 of each as stated. The medal pictured here, 1894 Geneve Exercices de l'Arquebuse et de la Navigation - R682b, has a mintage of 6 pieces making it considerably more rare than the 1893 R680a.

RRR

0a6b9fc0.jpg