CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. Can you tell us about your photo setup and the processing that you do that results in the side-by-side images with reflections and that wonderful background?

All great, Rod! Is it just my poor perception or are bronze medals far less frequent?

Great question.

Across the Swiss shooting medals spectrum I would say that the bronze medals are somewhat less frequent because:

• Less of them were awarded many times (but sometimes more, researching Martin and Richter tells more of the story than here)
  • Many collectors like silver more than bronze and white metal regardless of rarity. This seems to be the trend with some newer collectors.
  • Because the silver medal was the higher award many were possibly more coveted than the bronze and therefore attrition was less although in hard times silver was more valuable and thus melting down/selling silver and gold medals was more common place.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. Can you tell us about your photo setup and the processing that you do that results in the side-by-side images with reflections and that wonderful background?

Hi Art,

I use an old MS product called MS Photodraw although I have done the same with Photoshop. For me, Photodraw is just more user friendly.

I actually found the background template a couple of years ago and have held on to it for quite some time.

• I scan the images at 600 ppi (this is a result of researching web results at this resolution and overall clarity). I found that my particular scanner gives me better/faster results than photography.
  • I then use Photodraw to crop, rotate, and resize the picture.
  • With Photodraw I then place the resized picture into the background, then copy the image, invert it and then tweak it to create the mirror image you see in the final product.
  • Save and publish.
While PhotoShop actually gives a slightly better final product, Photodraw is just so much easier and quicker so that is why I use it instead.

After doing several of my medals, I am able to accomplish all the above in about 10 minutes a medal. This in itself is very time consuming when you calculate how long it will take to do a modest collection. I try to get a few medals every weekend into this final format for my reference and hopefully other people's pleasure.

1891 Central German Shoot, Erfurt

Silver

Recently acquired from Germany. I have never seen this particular design in a German shooting medal. The "Wildman"design is of particular interest to some collectors of Swiss and German shooting medals. This example is proof-like and a very nice specimen overall.

460d9c5b.jpg

Thanks for the photo info. I really like the results very much. Your medals are wonderful in and of themselves but the presentation greatly enhances my viewing pleasure. Again thanks for both the info and the images.

Hi Art,

I use an old MS product called MS Photodraw although I have done the same with Photoshop. For me, Photodraw is just more user friendly.

I actually found the background template a couple of years ago and have held on to it for quite some time.

• I scan the images at 600 ppi (this is a result of researching web results at this resolution and overall clarity). I found that my particular scanner gives me better/faster results than photography.
  • I then use photodraw to crop, rotate, and resize the picture.
  • With Photodraw I then place the resized picture into the background, then copy the image, invert it and then tweak it to create the mirror image you see in the final product.
  • Save and publish.

While PhotoShop actually gives a slightly better final product, Photodraw is just so much easier and quicker so that is why I use it instead.

After doing several of my medals, I am able to accomplish all the above in about 10 minutes a medal. This in itself is very time consuming when you calculate how long it will take to do a modest collection. I try to get a few medals every weekend into this final format for my reference and hopefully other people's pleasure.

I don't believe it! That's so easy! I have so much trouble scanning on my scanner. Nothing comes out right or satisfactory it seems. And I agree about photoshop. It's the only software I have but it's so hard to use. I'm jealous you only take 10 minutes to do all of this.

ND Ticino, Maestro Tiratore

R1523a / M871

Cantonal Shoot

Silver

50mm

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

R

Note: This medal was awarded to the best shooters of the Ticino cantonal shot: 1936 in Bellinzona, 1948 in Chiasso, 1951 in Bellinzona, 1955 in Locarno, and 1959 in Lugano. All medals noted so far are not marked with the year.

73185c35.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful medals. And let me comment again on your great presentation. :bthumbsup:

Thanks very much. It is a labor of love.

The Aubonne medal above does not look as good. Looped medals as well as ones with ribbons are extremely difficult (or at least for me) to manipulate compared to a round one.

1951 Andermatt, Canton Uri

R1530a / M902

Cantonal Shoot

Silver

40mm

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

R

Most medals are engraved and various date exist. The medal was awarded for the first time in 1928 in Altdorf. Known so far are: 1947 in Burglen, 1951 in Andermatt, and no date examples.

464d297e.jpg

1844 St. Livres, Canton Vaud

R1557a / M918

Société Militaire

Silver

27mm

RR

NOTE: The rim is essentially perfect. Because this medal is looped, I had to trace the edge and thus the imperfect rim edge. Looped and with ribbon medals are difficult to present within my template as shown here.

2c5417cf.jpg