CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

An old medal from Zurich. Metal unknown. Possible a shooting medal.

Indeed it is a schützenfest medal. You do not state the size (diameter) but if it is 54mm then it is R1727d or M1017. I identify it as R1727d because it appears as though it is white metal. It is quite a shame it is in poor condition or at least the pictures depict it as such, because it is a rare medal in WM. Richter classifies it as RRR.

1865 Archers shoot of Zurich engraved by Jakob Aberti, Winterthur

Note: There was a gilded medal gifted in a decorative bag to archers of the Child's shoot in 1867.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed it is a schützenfest medal. You do not state the size (diameter) but if it is 54mm then it is R1727d or M1017. I identify it as R1727d because it appears as though it is white metal. It is quite a shame it is in poor condition or at least the pictures depict it as such, because it is a rare medal in WM. Richter classifies it as RRR.

1865 Archers shoot of Zurich engraved by Jakob Aberti, Winterthur

Note: There was a gilded medal gifted in a decorative bag to archers of the Child's shoot in 1867.

Rod, Yes, the diameter is 54MM. Thank you for your detail information.

• 1 month later...

Although this is off topic to a degree, I thought some of you would have some interest in seeing a few examples of Schützenfest pokals (shooting festival cups). There are also smaller examples called bechers which I have examples of also.

This is from the 1910 Federal Shoot in Bern

Made by Jezler of Schaffhausen

.800 Silver; inner cup with gold wash

342 mm height

Note: the bear and man on top of the cup lid are solid .800 silver.

DSCN0842_zpsb4e10f40.jpg

DSCN0846_zps2e92f95a.jpg

DSCN0845_zpsccf64558.jpg

DSCN0844_zpsa9afa2c2.jpg

Very, very nice. Though I am not too sure about the bare bear behind!

*rimshot*

I bet the NRA wouldn't be a four-letter word in much of America if shooting festivals were as elegant as these

The previous shooting awards have been pokal. This picture is an example of a becher.

The becher on the left is from the Zurich 1911 shoot and the one on the right is from the St. Gallen shoot of 1904.

Both are .800 silver.

Bechers are often not as intricately engraved as pokals but are quite collectible in their own right. The one on the left is hand hammered as indicated by the dimpled appearance.

The second picture has a ruler for size reference. Many bechers are gilded on the inside, these two are not.

DSCN0864_zpse8437ea1.jpg

DSCN0863_zps8941fdcb.jpg

When you posted the first pokal I noticed that it had been planished(hand hammered). When I was a young schoolboy I did some planishing of silver myself and I am still drawn to planished objects. These cups are truely amazing.

I loved the planishing (new word!) too

I really enjoy seeing the cup/tankard - very nicely done. I have tread carefully with Shooting stuff, I see it as a very very slippery slope especially whence I occasion the gold and platinum pieces.

After you purchase your first gold Schutzenfest medal you want more, however finding a willing seller is the hard part.

Same pokal as above; St. Gallen 1904 but without the top. However this pokal was awarded without the top.

The pokal is essentially as awarded.

It has its original presentation box with Shoot and date

Inside the box there is a card with a doily inside so the shooter could display the cup on it if so desired, the doily shows William Tell. An interesting note is that the exterior of the card actually shows both pokal variations proving that without top and with top were both awarded.

This cup, without the top has more gilt highlights.

.800 silver

300mm

536grams

Inside of cup is gilt

Gilt highlighs on portions of cup exterior

Rare

DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0878.jpg

DSCN0879.jpg

DSCN0880.jpg

DSCN0881.jpg

Inside the box there is a card with a doily inside so the shooter could display the cup on it if so desired. Note that the doily shows Wiallima Tell. An interesting note is that the exterior of the card actually show both pokal variations proving that without top and with top were both awarded.

Very crucial information for a collector, great that you have the complete package.

• 2 weeks later...

1938 Lenzburg, Canton Aargau

Cantonal Shoot, Hundred year anniversary of the young shooters schützenfest in Treffen, 1838.

R53a, M41

Bronze

30mm

RR

Although this medal is specified RR by Richter, it is very difficult to acquire and I (we) have only seen a couple offered in my 30 years of collecting, this also includes my Father's 50 years of collecting.

These bronze pieces are quite rare indeed.

1938Lenzburg.jpg

• 1 month later...

1872 Zurich Thaler/Taler 5 Francs.

EF reverse with a few marks in the fields but since this is a pinback I would expect some marks on the "front" side. The obverse is EF+ with nice patina. I purchased this taler because it was a pinback. I don't see talers made into pinbacks often and this one is of the period. The case holds the taler by encasing it within a silver circular frame. Very well made without marking or harming the taler itself.

1872TalerPINBACK_zps8e47f3ce.jpg

Beautiful medals and the cups are just amazing. I've never seen them before. You folks have wonderful collections and I'm truly grateful that you are sharing them with us.