CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the relatively common R179 (M104) 1830 Bern shooting medal. I have two photos, one of a real R179 and one of a counterfeit piece. The counterfeit was struck in ca. 1890. Schützenfest medals were so prized and collected that many counterfeits were struck years ago. I have encountered several counterfeits since I began collecting, the R179 is one of the more documented ones.

For me the easiest way to determine if the piece is original is to check/compare the mountains; there is noticeable difference. Another way is the inspect the numeral 7 in the date, 7 Jul 1830. The style of the 7 (bottom of the trunk) is completely different. The numeral 2 ( in the number 12) before the date is also a point of difference. And if you inspect the medal in its entirety you will find many differences throughout.

1830 Bern

R179a / M104

Federal Shoot

Silver

H / 28mm

4e161f35.gif

0ec08d71.jpg

Here are easier side by side pictures of obverse and reverse to compare:

c534b990.jpg

bf3d13d3.jpg

1903 Liestal, Cantonal schützenfest, Basel.

R129 / M80

45mm, Silver

Engraver: Hans Frei, Basel

14c6e468.jpg

1900 St. Imier cantonal schützenfest, Bern.

R244

M157

45mm, silver

Engraver: Georges Hantz, Geneve

5b4e83dd.jpg

1909 Delémont, cantonal shoot, Bern

Rare

R251

M166

45mm, silver

Engraver: Holy Frères, St. Imier

727a4eab.jpg

1934 Fribourg 5 Franc

R431b / M246a

Matte finish, rare.

Engraver: Oscar Cattani / Huguenin, Le Locle / Monnaie fédérale, Bern

3db6920b.jpg

1936 Jungschützentag

Bronze, 40mm

RR

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

5e853f5e.jpg

1939 Luzern World Championships

R913 / M500

Silver, gold plated; marked silver (.925) on edge. Richter does not list a Gold plated silver variety.

RR / 50mm

Engraver: Emil Wiederkehr, Luzern / Huguenin, Le Locle

fac5e9d8.jpg

Rod, the first one you posted looks pretty pitted. Is that due to the matte finish?

Also, since the later years of these medals are in the mid-30's and they took place in German-speaking lands, do you ever come across Nazi imagery or themes on them?

Rod, the first one you posted looks pretty pitted. Is that due to the matte finish?

Also, since the later years of these medals are in the mid-30's and they took place in German-speaking lands, do you ever come across Nazi imagery or themes on them?

Actually, the 1934 Fribourg 5 franc piece you are referring to is in choice UNC condition and is as minted. The matte finish variety is quite rare and the look of pitting is actually in the matte finish itself.

To answer your second question; No, I have not encountered any Nazi imagery on Swiss Shooting medals and I have several from the time period. I have quite a few German shooting medals but none are from the Nazi time period.

So far save one example, I have been able to resist, but I could bend if the Zofingen example were to be offered. I do like the Swiss misses.

As for Nazi stuff in Switzerland, it never really caught on there. It did catch on a bit more in Austria - primarily because though they were the minority they were also the loudmouths.

I don't remember seeing any Nazi propaganda or graffiti anywhere in W. Europe. But you do see it from time to time in Ukraine, which is unbelievable.

1947 Cham Standschützen

R1688a / M1005

BR, silver plated

50 mm

R

Since the year has been engraved, it is possible that there are different dates. Medal was first awared in 1930. Other dates known are: 1934, 1942, 1947, and undated.

4e2f0397.jpg

1886 La Chaux de Fonds, Canton Neuchatel

R951a / M512

Silver

45mm

1,250 minted

Engraver: Edouard Durussel, Bern

Common

4afdf454.jpg

1892 Le Locle, Canton Neuchatel

R959b / M519

Silver

45mm

705 minted

Common

38c8bb1a.jpg

1892 Le Locle, Canton Neuchatel

R959c / M519

BR

45mm

643 minted

Common

a8c463a6.jpg

Undated St. Gallen cantonal shoot

R1243 / M591

Silver

37mm X 53mm

Common

As well as undated ones there are dated medals: 1925 St. Gallen, 1929 Mels, 1938 Wil, and 1951 St. Gallen.

4025ec47.jpg

1902 Noranco, Canton Ticino

R1426a / M820

Silver

39mm

Engraver: Huguenin, Le. Locle

RR, seldom seen or offered

e7fd2034.jpg

1909 Frauenfeld, Canton Thurgau

R1277a / M688

Cantonal Shoot

Silver

27mm

Engraver: Hans Frei, Basel

RR, 86 minted

630f89cb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1894 Lausanne, Canton Vaud

R1590b / M945

Cantonal Shoot

Silver plated bronze

39 mm

Engraver: Charles Defailly, Geneve

R, although rated R by Richter, the silver plated bronze is seen less frequently than the silver plated white metal piece which is rated as RR. I just received this medal today from Switzerland. It was originally advertised as silver but after a few conversations with the numismatic firm selling it and based on close up pictures and my experiences with handling other examples of this medal I was able to convince them and confirm it was actually silver plated bronze.

7493b58a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...