CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

That's the original case?! How many original cases do you come across?

The case above is most likely the original case. I can explain that by stating that one cannot be sure it is the original case because it does not specifically identify the year and the shoot on the case itself. It is the correct diameter for the medal and it is certainly an Edouard Durussel case of the period.

Because the medal is in UNC condition and the case is also in excellent condition one would deduce that the the case came with the medal. Edouard Durussel made many medals that were sold at schützenfests as souvenirs of the shoot. Since he was prolific for this, his cases were not as elaborate as medals that were awarded.

Original cases can be stated as the original case only, and this is my opinion, if the case is specifically embossed with at least the year of the shoot or some other type of specific identifier. Most cases that are embossed for schützenfests also have the specific shoot embossed on the case along with the year. I will state however, that many medals were awarded in cases without any identification embossed on them (a matter of inconvenience and cost) but then there is no proof that it is the original case. I say that because I know for a fact that many European dealers put schützenfest medals that they acquired without a case in to cases of the correct diameter and then sell as medal in case or original case.

Purchasing a schützenfest medal in the original embossed case is rare enough to command a 10-20% premium over market value depending on the case condition and the medals' rarity. But you should only pay a premium when the case is embossed and therefore proven it is the original case. It is my opinion from years of collecting schützenfest medals that all or nearly all medals were awarded in some type of case/enclosure.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I am glad you are finding this thread about schützenfest medals interesting. In regard to your comment about the 1911 Olten medal, I can let you know that I posted a picture of both the obverse and reverse sides of the gold example on page 34.

Their beauty, intricate detailed engraving, the fact that many examples are in great condition due to the medals being prized by their owners, and their overall rarity drew me to this wonderful hobby. I find it rewarding that this shooting medal thread has so many views and posts from members reflecting many of the same thoughts.

:clapping: Oh, wow! The closer view in that picture really gives you a sense of the relief on the medal. And the reverse has an almost hypnotic design. Love it! Maybe I'll have to start looking into schützenfest medals, and medals with other themes! You're right, they are absolutely beautiful; thanks for posting!

1844 St. Livres, Canton Vaud

R1557a / M918

Société Militaire

Silver

27mm

RR

This very rare medal is seldom seen or offered for sale.

I posted this medal previously but felt the picture was inferior so I decided to try again. Looped medals are more difficult for me to put into my template etc. but I have started manipulating the picture in a different way with positive results. This medal and the previous looped medal posted are examples of the new technique.

1844StLivres_zpsd8aab7df.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Since I don't often, I thought I would post a few modern Swiss shooting medals.

One year medal, Canton St. Gallen

R1245a

Cantonal Shoot, Marksman

AR

40 mm

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

R

R1245a_zps9a22e0ea.jpg

Great looking medal. As always, your photography is superb

• 2 months later...

Hi Swiss Shooting Medal Collectors,

Is it just me or is it getting very difficult to find the scarcer issues of Swiss shooting medals? I've been very fortunate in being able to add to my collection periodically since 2005 but for the last year or so, things have dried up considerably. Even major Swiss dealers overseas have had trouble stocking anything other than the most common of issues and prospects are even getting slim with foreign auctions.

And speaking of common issues, there are many people out there paying some very high prices for these, even in average condition. Also, the slabbed ones have extremely high asking prices on eBay. I am sure that most aren't selling at those prices but some actually do! Are the values really getting that high? It will be interesting if and when Richter comes out with either a current value sheet or newer volume of his book.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

First let me say that the slabbed schützenfest medals for sale on the bay are listed at crazy high prices and the seller is hoping to find either someone who has money to burn or someone with little knowledge in the hobby. With a little work anyone can find raw medals being sold by very reputable dealers for far less asking prices. A certified slabbed medal is not worth that much more just because it is slabbed (IMHO).

Second, yes, medals have become harder to acquire. When you consider the low mintage quantities of Swiss shooting medals and the current demand for them compared to twenty years ago, a collector can understand why the prices are increasing and the available medals are dwindling. I would say about ten years ago my customers' desire for common medals ceased, primarily due to the fact that they had most of the common medals and it was difficult to sell any even at very modest to no profit prices. I was able to obtain the common medals but made the decision not to purchase them because it was so difficult to sell them. The last few years I have had a difficult time selling rare medals because there are so many new collectors in the field and they are looking for common medals and/or looking for specific types. Funny how things go full circle. :)

Recently, slabbed medals have become hotter than ever although I see many medals graded very liberally and sometimes incorrectly. For example, I have seen a NGC grade of Proof when there were no Schützenfest medals struck with proof dies. There are modern shooting thalers in proof but not 19th and early 20th century shooting medals.

While Richter's catalog is the bible of Swiss shooting medals, there are many inaccuracies in the book yet many people do not know this due to the obscurity of information. Richter's prices were also quite a bit higher than market when it was first published. It took several years before the average realized auction price was even 80-85% of his catalog prices. They have just recently began to sell at his published prices and many sellers are taking advantage of the new "market price" and asking this and quite often asking more than his the prices in his catalog. Because of this, I would not be surprised if an updated price supplement is in the future. These prices are great for the hobby (more the dealers than the buyers) but overall when you think of the beauty, artistry of engraving, and rarity due to such low average mintage plus the average condition of many medals, the current market prices are quite reasonable compared to coins.

I don't think it will get better in terms of supply but hopefully with more and more collectors involved in the hobby, more people will become more educated about the medals, jetons, mintages, rarity etc.

If I can help anyone in any way, please do not hesitate to ask. This forum is a great way to pass along knowledge with the written word as well as with pictures.

Hi Swiss Shooting Medal Collectors,

Is it just me or is it getting very difficult to find the scarcer issues of Swiss shooting medals? I've been very fortunate in being able to add to my collection periodically since 2005 but for the last year or so, things have dried up considerably. Even major Swiss dealers overseas have had trouble stocking anything other than the most common of issues and prospects are even getting slim with foreign auctions.

And speaking of common issues, there are many people out there paying some very high prices for these, even in average condition. Also, the slabbed ones have extremely high asking prices on eBay. I am sure that most aren't selling at those prices but some actually do! Are the values really getting that high? It will be interesting if and when Richter comes out with either a current value sheet or newer volume of his book.

Hello from Australia!

I've only recently joined, and only started to collect Swiss shooting medals these past nine months. What prompted me to do so is that I collect Swiss rifles from ca 1839 through to the late 1950's/early 1960's; the latter date seeing the end of the bolt-action, straight-pull model K31 rifle; which I first started using in 300m UIT competition.

What also drew me to collecting Swiss shooting medals was the odd idea of purchasing a medal that illustrated a particular rifle in my collection, and like "Topsy" in the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin" off I went. Naturally, not knowing that forums such as this one existed, and mainly due to the fact that I had NEVER in my lifetime heard of the word "Exonumia" (I told Rod that it sounded like some form of disease - which it is; after reading 36 pages of postings within this forum)!

To cut a lonnng story short, my only lead was ebay for me, back in February 2014, and for a while I was lucky, with our dollar being being worth back then $1.10 US. Now it's worth $0.86 US, and the price of medals on ebay has skyrocketed.

To give a comparison, an early purchase cost me (including postage) $150 Aus. The same medal currently listed on ebay, is being offered to the "dumb and dumber" brigade for $1,875.00US. Glory be !! I think I would be right in saying that over the past 6 months ebay Swiss medal prices on the average have more than doubled, and this is one of the reasons why I have joined this forum; to be put on the "straight and narrow" as to where I should look other than ebay for Swiss medals.

Regards,

OldTimer

• 3 weeks later...

1925 Rehalp, canton Zürich

R1826a / M1098

Rehalp Shoot

AR

30 X 37 mm

Mintage: 31 pieces

RRR

I have never seen this in a collection nor ever seen it offered for sale. I recently stumbled upon this fantastic medal and was able to pick it up. Very rare with 31 examples per Jürg Richter and with a rarity of RRR.

In his catalog, Richter shows two types, both RRR, one with a mintage of 31 pieces at 30 X 37 mm (my example shown here) and the other being 37 X 45 mm and with no mintage noted.

Needless to say, I am very happy and fortunate to add this 1925 Zürich Rehalpschiessen medal to my collection.

I was unable to post the medal in my normal fashion. Being oval shaped with the loop makes it very difficult to place within my template. I tried but the final result was inferior to what you see below.

Rehalp1925blank_zps4ccc67f9.jpg

1925 Rehalp, canton Zürich

R1826a / M1098

Rehalp Shoot

AR

30 X 37 mm

Mintage: 31 pieces

RRR

I have never seen this in a collection nor ever seen it offered for sale. I recently stumbled upon this fantastic medal and was able to pick it up. Very rare with 31 examples per Jürg Richter and with a rarity of RRR.

In his catalog, Richter shows two types, both RRR, one with mintage of 31 pieces at 30 X 37 mm (my example shown here) and the other being 37 X 45 mm and with no mintage noted.

Needless to say, I am very happy and fortunate to add this 1925 Zürich Rehalpschiessen medal to my collection.

I was unable to post the medal in my normal fashion. Being oval shaped with the loop makes it very difficult to place within my template. I tried but the final result was inferior to what you see below.

Rehalp1925blank_zps4ccc67f9.jpg

Very nice. :bthumbsup:

1913 La Chaux de Fonds, canton Neuchatel

R995b / M547a

Cantonal Shoot

AR

26 mm

Engraver: Jean David Hirschy, La Chaux de Fonds / AUREA

Common

1913ChauxdeFonds_zpsbf169181.jpg

With this medal, I used Photoshop Elements. The differences are subtle compared to my other presentation but I am interested if you think the overall image is superior to the others I have done. The main difference is the reflection and how it fades. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

1913 Chaux de Fonds, canton Neuchatel

R995b / M547a

Cantonal Shoot

AR

26 mm

Engraver: Jean David Hirschy. La Chaux de Fonds / AUREA

Mintage:

H

1913ChauxdeFonds_zpsbf169181.jpg

With this medal, I used Photoshop Elements. The differences are subtle but I am interested if you think the overall image is superior to the others I have done. The main difference is in the reflection and how it fades. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

What is the story behind the beehive structure?