CoinPeople.com

Swiss Shooting Medals

More beautiful medals. This is such a great area of collecting. I'm so happy that you share your collection with us. Great photography too.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1894 Iseo, canton Ticino

R1404a / M800

Shoot of Santa Maria

AR

39 mm

Engraver: Stefano Johnson, Milan

RRR

Rarely seen or offered

1894%20Iseo_zpswdu9imc7.jpg

Terrific looking medal. :bthumbsup:

Here are 4 different schützenfest jetons for your viewing pleasure. I apologize for the smaller than normal picture images. I tried a new template for multiple pieces.

Test%20jetons_zpst4qb3uy2.jpg

Very nice. I do honestly prefer the larger single medal images.

Very nice. I do honestly prefer the larger single medal images.

So do I, I don't think the images are large enough to show detail properly. Since they are jetons and quite smaller than the average shooting medal I wondered how they would look in a group.

Thanks for your comment.

I love the stylized designs of the 20s.

1925 Sarnen, canton Obwalden
R1046a / M888
Cantonal Shoot
AR
40 mm

Engraver: Arnold Stockmann, Luzern

RR

R1046a_zpse8pvonsl.jpg

1894 Iseo, canton Ticino

R1458a / M852

4th Cantonal shoot of Ticino

AR

39 mm

Engraver: Huguenin, Le Locle

R

I posted another R1458a here previously, this example has different patina.

1922%20Lugano%20b_zpspzxxkc22.jpg

Rod,

Ticino is one of my favorite Cantons for the beauty of their designs for their medals. Wish I could photograph like you!

Tim

Rod,

Ticino is one of my favorite Cantons for the beauty of their designs for their medals. Wish I could photograph like you!

Tim

Over the years Ticino has become one of my favorite Cantons too. Their designs differ from the other Cantons to a certain degree, thus making them quite distinguishable.

It is very easy to present medals in the manner that I do. A good photo editor program, I use Photo Shop Elements. However, I never edit any of my medals in terms of adding light, color etc. other than the reflection aspect of the medal in my template.

Thank you for the kind words. It take a little practice but now I can go from complete start to finish in about 4-5 minutes. If I already have the medal image then it may take 2 minutes to place in template properly and post.

1875 Geneve, canton Geneve
R600a variant / M303
Abbaye des Carabiniers
AR
37 mm

Engraver: Samuel Mognetti / Antoine Bovy, Geneve

This is an example of an unlisted 37mm size medal of R600 - 43mm. Richter classifies the 43mm as RR with 100 pieces minted.

A beautiful medal in great condition!

36226182476_ebaf8b3e20_o_d.jpg

1944 SSV

R1963a / M1133b

SSV Medal of Honor

AR

45 mm

Engraver: Franz Wagner, Zurich / Huguenin, Le Locle

RRR

Italian text - matte finish

1944%20SSV_zpscreyrp41.jpg

Great looking medal

1936 Bellinzona, canton Ticino
R1479a / M866
7th Ticino Cantonal Shoot
AR
40 mm

Mintage: 15 pieces (estimated)
Engraver: Huguenin, LeLocle

RRR

1936%20Ticino%20AR_zpsxco6hn6h.jpg

1936 Bellinzona, canton Ticino
R1479a / M866
7th Ticino Cantonal Shoot
BR
40 mm

Mintage: 36 pieces (estimated)
Engraver: Huguenin, LeLocle

RR

1936%20Ticino%20BR_zpseyntig54.jpg

Very nice medals. I like the modern look of these. A question: Is the origin of the shooting contests and the importance of this based on military things like a standing militia or on the need for accuracy to hunt for food?

Very nice medals. I like the modern look of these. A question: Is the origin of the shooting contests and the importance of this based on military things like a standing militia or on the need for accuracy to hunt for food?

The easiest answer is to post an excerpt from Wikipedia.

History[edit]

During the Middle Ages, many towns had to find ways to defend themselves from gangs of marauders. For this reason clubs and associations were founded, comparable to militias; these paramilitary associations were sanctioned for the first time in the Law for the Defensive Constitution of the Towns by King Henry I, and officially integrated into the towns' defense plans. Accompanying the military exercises and physical examinations of the towns' contingents, festivities were held combined with festive processions. Participants from other parishes and at times even the feudal heads of state were also invited to these Marksmen's Courts (Schützenhöfe). However, the self-confident spirit of the townsfolk that marked these festivities was not always regarded positively by the authorities. For this reason, different traditions developed in different regions. The military significance lessened over the course of the centuries and became meaningless with the creation of regular troops and garrisons for national defence. The Schützenfests however continued in the form of a regional patriotic tradition.

Coincidentally, when you look up Schutzenfest on Wikipedia there are several sections with one of them being "Medals and Decorations". I wrote this piece many years ago for my first website and then added to this Wikipedia page. Since then I have seen my "section" posted on many ebay auctions, auction houses etc. around the world describing schutzenfest medals, but rarely if ever do I see it contributed to Wikipedia.

Medals and decorations[edit]

Shooting competitions are a way of life in the Germanic regions of Europe, especially in Switzerland. The initial Swiss Federal Shooting Festival (Eidgenössisches Schützenfest) was held in 1824. Federal contests along with cantonal level, city, and club competitions have continued through to the present day.

Various awards for marksmanship have been won by the competitors. Shooting medals and shooting cups are the most common forms of award. Books illustrating and listing these awards have been published in Switzerland.

Swiss shooting medals were struck in a variety of metals including gold, silver, bronze, white metal and aluminum, with silver being the most common. Mintages are very low with the average mintage of the 45mm silver being 700-800 pieces. The scarcity of medals has increased over the years due to the awards being melted for bullion, being lost, and general attrition. The size of most medals range from 23 millimeters to 62 millimeters with 45 mm being the most prevalent.

Also minted to commemorate the Shooting Festival were shooting thalers. Swiss shooting thalers began mintage in 1842, and continue being minted today. They can be distinguished from shooting medals by their uniform size and temporary legal tender status.