CoinPeople.com

2012 Coin related goals

Dan769

With the new year quickly approaching, what are everyones goals for the upcoming year?

I'll start:

I have already started goal one:

1. Weed out 99% of the modern (post 1964) I have laying around. Including most mint/proof sets, misc rolls of coins.

2. Rid of all bullion value silver coins( pre 1965). 90% of these are gone now, had a fellow make a STRONG offer on all my silver halves, I had to unload them.

3. Finish my Type set. I am 5 coins away with the Seated & Trade dollars, Reeded edge half dollar 1836-39, Draped Bust and Classic Head Large cents standing in my way. i hope to aquire at least 2 of these at the FUN show next week.

4. Obtain a 1876 20 cent piece. I'm fascinated with the odd denominations, and I do have a 75-CC, I just want another.

5. Narrow the focus, on what I purchase, I'm finally become very choosing on what I buy.

6. I need to choose between half cents, 2 cents, and 3 cent nickels on what to dive into next. leaning towards the half cents.

7. More coins from the Azore Islands and Portugal.

8. And most importantly, have fun!

Nice goals Dan. I hope that you can accomplish all of them. Cleanout is a very good idea. I'm thinking of some of that myself.

I seem to recall last year my goals were to

1) improve my photography skills - check! though still some room for improvement

2) sell more of my dupes / modern stuff / mint stuff - did free up a fair bit of capital for future purchases

For this next year I'll keep those two goals and add:

3) Quality over quantity! Sticking with my trend, but will more actively seek even higher end pieces for my collection

4) Finish unloading 1960's-1990s RCM stuff I bought ~9 months ago with the intent of reselling rather quickly. It was a very large purchase, but I have only sold about 2/3 of it so far.

My New Year's numismatic resultions for 2012:

A. Try to keep from buying coins on impulse and stick to the narrow, so that the ones I DO buy can be nicer;

B. Fill up as many holes in my Indian Cent collection at EF or better as possible;

C. Pick up a few more BU Buffalo nickels along the way;

D. Save some money, just in case "A" doesn't work! :hysterical:

And I'll always be on the lookout for nice Imperial Russian material. :)

Organise and catalogue my various sundry collections, holy flip, there are thousands of coins and banknotes.

Try to find a focus area, uh that is why I collect Scottish.

Stop impulse buys, like that will ever happen.

Get around to selling the seconds of coins that have been upgraded, uh have some sitting around for nearly a decade - I hate selling stuff.

Maybe getting around to selling stuff I promised I would sell five years ago, hmmm, what's another five years :hysterical:

#1 get into my Meilink safe without paying the $630 to have it drilled.

#2 finish the inventory of all coins (some variation on inv)

#3 Quality over quantity, sell some of the duplicates and improve storage

#4 Figure out how to sell on ebay, ( sell misc, and put money to better grade coins)

#5 Buy more silver bulk ( 10 oz & 100 oz)

#6 work on Hong Kong set and build plexi display.

Tom

1. Do an exhibit at the Central States this Year

2. Get all my coins organized and stored correctly

3. Complete the inventory of coin and receipt information

#1 get into my Meilink safe without paying the $630 to have it drilled.

Tom

Ouch! On the other hand, it'd probably be more expensive to build a new collection that is outside of the safe, to replace the one that might as well be on its way to Pluto.

Besides which, you'd need to buy another safe to store it, so one way or another a new safe is in your future. (Or do they repair drilled-out safes?)

I remember once having sweat break out on my brow because I tried the combo five times in a row and the thing wouldn't open; and I was starting to wonder if I had in fact misremembered it. Sixth time was the charm and I never did figure out what went wrong the first five times.

OK for me:

1* Get good photographs of my US typeset. This will be quite a learning process. I have a newer camera but it seems *very* finicky about lighting and the coins invariably look like they aren't quite in focus no matter how much I dink with it via tethered shooting--so I end up enhancing the sharpness and then the coins end up looking "speckly" if I am not careful (and the enhance software doesn't display the speckliness as well as anything else does, so I find out later, after I've masked off the background, etc., just how bad it is).

2* Of course build the typeset itself! Unfortunately the half of it that is left is the expensive half.

I'm with all the organizing group. But I also need to document better also. I may end up selling off some of the "bulk" or duplicate coins to fill blanks in the Morgan date mint mark group or the coin every hundred years attempt. And I also would like to get a 1876 20 cent piece to help on the 1876 set I started.

I'm with all the organizing group. But I also need to document better also. I may end up selling off some of the "bulk" or duplicate coins to fill blanks in the Morgan date mint mark group or the coin every hundred years attempt. And I also would like to get a 1876 20 cent piece to help on the 1876 set I started.

I'll be looking hard for that 1876 20 center at FUN. Such a low mintage, I am shocked at what they sell for. 1875-CC's trend much more and they are all over the place. Northern Nevada Coins must have a dozen of the CC's on their website.

And I take some solace in the fact that I am not alone in the disorganization. Though I guess I'm really not disorganized, I just had way too much stuff.

I'm concentrating on my Roosevelt and Jefferson Registry Sets this coming year. I'd like to get at least the Roosevelt Proofs set completed. Cleanout some stuff would be a great thing to do. I think I'll start with some banknotes. I don't really collect them very well so they should be first to go. My US notes collection is rather easy....I have a bunch of star notes and a few old notes -- like 1950s and 1930's. Everything else I can just spend. Whalla that takes care of one group.

1) Sell duplicates to free up more cash. Should try to target bronze seller status.

2) Look out for tough key coins regardless of condition (depends on the price)

3) Be prepared to do impulse buy if it's a steal

4) Keep on reading more about the coins I'm interested in

5) Organize my collection and keep on photographing when I get time - you know it's bad if you have at least 200-300 coins waiting to be photographed :( Omnicoin here I come.

6) Work on my coin site as well as create more digital albums

1. Stay alive. Being a Cancer Survivor, that is always 1.

2. Start getting rid of excess, duplicate coins

3. Stop buying so many coins

4. Slow down on the coin shows

5. Slow down on the flea markets

6. Use old cars of mine more than in the past

7. Give away or throw away at least one item a day.

8. Win the lottery

9. Use Lottery winnings to buy some fantastic coins.

10. Spend time rereading 3. and 9. and figure out which is more important.

11. Get off this computer and go out for food.

1. Get at least one of the early expensive issues (39D in MS, or an early proof, maybe the 42P) for the Jefferson Project, and otherwise keep building.
  2. Work out a good storage and display system for said nickels -- one that is chemically safe, sufficiently secure, and shows the coins to their best benefit. I know one way I'd like to try it, but I don't know if it's sufficiently chemically inert. Testing shall commence soon.
  3. Fire the first shot in the Ike Project, maybe picking up some of the proof silvers or better known variations. Decide whether or not to include the SBAs in the set. Probably not, but it'd be an easy enough set to complete, so I won't rule it out.
  4. Add some silver to the British collection.
  5. More Polish commems, particularly the incuse Jagiełłonian University issue.
  6. Find more Monumental Money to photograph (no, Mike, I haven't forgotten that! :D)

Archived