CoinPeople.com

The Bathroom Sink Collection

UncleBobo

Well, my bathroom sink was clogged up over the weekend and I needed to snake it out to remove the blockage. Before I could snake the pipe I needed to get the water out of the sink.

I decided to suck it out with my water vaccum.

While vaccuming the water out I heard the distinct sound of metal objects shooting out of the drain and up the vaccum pipe.

When I opened the vaccum to drain it I found several coins coated in some black slime that had collected in the pipe.

I believe it was my young Niece, Boboita who made the deposit.

Anyway, I used some basic hand soap to remove the black slime and found that some pretty funky things happened to the coins during their time in the pipe.

All of the coins exhibited some really impressive electric blue toning, this dime was the best example

14642626116686l.jpg

I figure that the coins were reacting to the metal pipe, among other things.

This is the other dime.

14642618858062l.jpg

The dimes exhibited the most colorful changes.

This penny, um, I mean cent changed pretty radically too. You can see that some of the black slime became one with the coin's surface.

14642633954908l.jpg

My favorite of the bathroom drain collection is this Canadian Quarter. I just love how the entire surface of the coin was altered and, for a messy coins, it looks rather attractive.

The metal doesn't even look like nickel anymore.

14642644140402l.jpg

Both the cent and the quarter have the blue toning, but it is more of spotty.

Hmmm, I wonder what I could vaccum out of the sink in the other bathroom?

Have you discovered a new method for artificial toning? How long before we see "drain toned" coins on eBay?

Have you discovered a new method for artificial toning?  How long before we see "drain toned" coins on eBay?

Yes!

It's a combo of time sitting in the water at the bend of the pipe with generous helpings of Softserve hand soap, Old Spice shaving cream and Crest cool mint jell toothpaste.

Oh, and we can't forget the most important element, the three year old girl. :ninja:

Yes!

It's a combo of time sitting in the water at the bend of the pipe with generous helpings of Softserve hand soap, Old Spice shaving cream and Crest cool mint jell toothpaste.

Oh, and we can't forget the most important element, the three year old girl. :ninja:

When my sister was about 2.5 yrs old she swallowed a dime, and then told my mother about it. My mother panicked and took her to the hospital, after x-rays etc, they said it would pass, but to keep checking her diaper.

It was found 2-3 days later, and cleaned off but the toning was similar.

When my sister was about 2.5 yrs old she swallowed a dime, and then told my mother about it.  My mother panicked and took her to the hospital, after x-rays etc, they said it would pass, but to keep checking her diaper. 

I'm a paramedic and that was gross. :ninja:

When my sister was about 2.5 yrs old she swallowed a dime, and then told my mother about it.  My mother panicked and took her to the hospital, after x-rays etc, they said it would pass, but to keep checking her diaper. 

Wow, drain toned and stomach toned coins in the same thread.

:ninja:

As long as we're talking about bathroom sink finds, here's my sink find (my father found this actually along with a another lower grade example). And no, it wasn't in the slab when he found it. :wink:

1901-S $5

As long as we're talking about bathroom sink finds, here's my sink find (my father found this actually along with a another lower grade example).  And no, it wasn't in the slab when he found it. :wink:

1901-S $5

You're father found THAT in a sink?

What did he do for a living? Was he Andrew Carnegie's plumber?

Archived