CoinPeople.com

What's the "crown" of your collection?

janneen

Hard to make a selection from several "crowns" in my collection. Some are rare, some are not rare but just plain gorgeous.

I'll pick this 1765-EM Novodel for now (Brekke 265):

Russia_Novodel_5_kopek_1765_EM_rev.sized.jpg

Russia_Novodel_5_kopek_1765_EM_obv.sized.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing more than I can other than ;) and :ninja: Thanks for sharing everyone.

The only thing that might be impressive from the Imperial era in my collection would be this:

901656.jpg

Double struck and still under investigation over what variety, rarity as well as what the original planchet was.

And then this overstruck Swedish ore that started me looking for interesting overstrikes

917281.jpg

And finally, this odd looking "token" or whatever you wish to call

901678.jpg

Definitely not too impressive compared to you guys ;)

There's nothing more than I can other than ;) and :ninja: Thanks for sharing everyone.

The only thing that might be impressive from the Imperial era in my collection would be this:

901656.jpg

Double struck and still under investigation over what variety, rarity as well as what the original planchet was.

Definitely not too impressive compared to you guys ;)

Your 1730 rouble is quite rare. I have not seen many roubles with this portrait type.

Here are three more pieces from my collection.

1.) Moldavia & Wallachia 2 Para/3 Kopek 1773- Although it had been mounted, this is an extremely difficult coin to find in top grade.

2.) Russia (Novgorod Republic) AR Denga 1447-1478 AD- Difficult to find with a well-centered strike and strong detailing.

3.) Armavir 5 Ruble 1918- Extremely rare in any condition. Although this is not top grade, it one of the most difficult coins to aquire.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=966456

Moldavia & Wallachia 2 Para/3 Kopek 1773

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=959154

Russia (Novgorod Republic) AR Denga 1447-1478 AD

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=950398

Armavir 5 Ruble 1918

Here are three more pieces from my collection.

1.) Moldavia & Wallachia 2 Para/3 Kopek 1773- Although it had been mounted, this is an extremely difficult coin to find in top grade.

and so well-struck to boot!

2.) Russia (Novgorod Republic) AR Denga 1447-1478 AD- Difficult to find with a well-centered strike and strong detailing.

Very interesting. What are the 2 people doing? It looks like they are holding a globe or something.

3.) Armavir 5 Ruble 1918- Extremely rare in any condition. Although this is not top grade, it one of the most difficult coins to aquire.

Very nice. Thank you for showing these.

Russia (Novgorod Republic) AR Denga 1447-1478 AD

thank you for showing a beatiful coin from 15 century Novgorod - the earlier pieces bear not too many designs but this one is so significant as to the history of russian numismatics as it shows the mintmaster himself working with assitnant ;)

if one asked what these two folks doing and what globe holding - it is shame to ask such embarassing question from one who try to be here a respondent in most questions without knowing of material; :ninja:

if one asks what is old thing on you silver coin, which is a question for an unexperience novice - how could you be that person who respond to the most posts ;)

The common thought is that it depicts a prince and a person giving him homage. I have a couple of these. Here's mine, off center and little worn but uncut.

950457.jpg

Thank you, alexbq2, for your characteristically helpful reply and reliable information. :ninja:

thank you for showing a beatiful coin from 15 century Novgorod - the earlier pieces bear not too many designs but this one is so significant as to the history of russian numismatics as it shows the mintmaster himself working with assitnant ;)

if one asked what these two folks doing and what globe holding - it is shame to ask such embarassing question from one who try to be here a respondent in most questions without knowing of material; :ninja:

if one asks what is old thing on you silver coin, which is a question for an unexperience novice - how could you be that person who respond to the most posts ;)

You may consider reading up on this subject:

zaizev.jpg

Translation:

Two figures, facing each other. The left one is sitting on the throne, holding in the right hand a sword, that rest on the shoulder. Left hand is elevated. Head is crowned. Left figure is "standing" on bent knees, right hand is elevated.

Subsequent sentences describe other elements of the coin.

common Alexbq2, you very dissapointed me, I understand that grivna does not know the subject and agree to thanks anyone even wrong but holding his/her position, however you are the one a normal guy, -

cannt you see that a coin questioned by DJB which is a <<<Russia (Novgorod Republic) AR Denga 1447-1478 AD- >>> is not a coin you posted with different legend, common, take a look again, do not let me think you lost some of your identified skills :ninja:

Hello Mr Kuna,

Yes, the coin description that I posted is from a later period, when Novgorod was under the control of the prince of Moscow, and the legend on the reverse had been changed to reflect this. However, the coin obverse of that period, remained the same as it was n the coinage of the independent Novgorod. You can see that on the images of the 2 coins presented in this thread.

The description of the coin is from a book by V.V. Zaizev, and it deals with the coinage of the later period then our coins.

Hi, here is the crown of my collection, it is oversize ( Ø 47 millimeters, weight 76.6 grams). I am not sure if it is an old novodel or a very nice business strike,

almost too nice for a business strike? What do you think? Thanks as always, Sigi

10kop1770km.jpg

By sigistenz

Hello Mr Kuna,

Yes, the coin description that I posted is from a later period, when Novgorod was under the control of the prince of Moscow, and the legend on the reverse had been changed to reflect this. However, the coin obverse of that period, remained the same as it was n the coinage of the independent Novgorod. You can see that on the images of the 2 coins presented in this thread.

The description of the coin is from a book by V.V. Zaizev, and it deals with the coinage of the later period then our coins.

This is much better, let's do numismatics only!

I have information that Chernetsov in his catalog (Oxfod University) was discussing on the various interpretations of what these figures are representing. Besides that I like Chernetsov catalog better than others, however I like Doctor Spassky position on these figure representation - Doctor Spassky in his book Russian monetary history represented only one and one version that these figures are of coinmakers and I stay with him in all respect to Zaitsev book !

Archived