CoinPeople.com

What's the "crown" of your collection?

janneen

Hi, here is the crown of my collection, it is oversize ( Ø 47 millimeters, weight 76.6 grams). I am not sure if it is an old novodel or a very nice business strike,

almost too nice for a business strike? What do you think? Thanks as always, Sigi

10kop1770km.jpg

By sigistenz

gorgeous business strike, in the past I had same ! :ninja:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is much better, let's do numismatics only!

I have information that Chernetsov in his catalog (Oxfod University) was discussing on the various interpretations of what these figures are representing. Besides that I like Chernetsov catalog better than others, however I like Doctor Spassky position on these figure representation - Doctor Spassky in his book Russian monetary history represented only one and one version that these figures are of coinmakers and I stay with him in all respect to Zaitsev book !

I do not recall ever reading of such interpretation of the scene depicted on Novgorod dengas. Here's what Doctor Spassky states in his famous book - The Russian Monetary System:

spasskinov.jpg

Tanslation: On Novgorod (coins) - a mysterious scene, probably representing homage of Novgorod to St. Sofia.

Hi, here is the crown of my collection, it is oversize ( Ø 47 millimeters, weight 76.6 grams). I am not sure if it is an old novodel or a very nice business strike,

almost too nice for a business strike? What do you think? Thanks as always, Sigi

10kop1770km.jpg

By sigistenz

Very nice Sigi! I think it might be an early novodel based on the smoothness of the fields.

Here is my favorite Siberian coin (which I think is probably an original). It weighs 31.0 grams (my scale is not accurate enough for hundredths of a gram).

5ksiberia1775.jpg

Very interesting. What are the 2 people doing? It looks like they are holding a globe or something.

I'm glad you liked these. As for the Novgorod coin, some say that it's the Prince and Bishop holding hands (a peace gesture?). When I looked at it, it looked like they were arm-wrestling :ninja: . But all kidding aside, 'alexbq2' seemed to have the best theory, in that it's the Prince/Duke and Bishop paying homage to each other. Due to the abstract pattern, the theory is up for grabs.

it is a business strike, whoever says that it might be a novodel needs to get in, take a picture of novodel and compare with sigi' one business strike; and how can one possibly say that it is novodel because of smooth fields - it is ridiculous :ninja:

Nice coins from both 'alexbq2' and 'sigistenz'. The Novgorod specimen is very nice. While the obverse has weak spots, the legend on the reverse is very solid which is rare for wire coins. The Siberian (1770) coin that 'sigistenz' posted is definitely museum quality. This among the best I've seen for it's crisp detail and centered strike. Thanks for sharing :ninja: .

10kop1770km.jpg

By sigistenz

The reverse (initial side) does not match known novodel reverses of 1771 and 1774 in my

data base, which are from the same die; for this reason I think this is an exceptionally nice

circulation strike of 1770.

RWJ

The reverse (initial side) does not match known novodel reverses of 1771 and 1774 in my

data base, which are from the same die; for this reason I think this is an exceptionally nice

circulation strike of 1770.

RWJ

thank you for taking a position for being NOT NOVODEL sample of sigi piece;

in addition, whoever says this one might be an earlier novodel needs to go to Goldberg 2005 sale

and compare same year coin :ninja:

I do not recall ever reading of such interpretation of the scene depicted on Novgorod dengas.

do you have on hands Chernetsov catalog ?

No, could you provide a scan of the relevant pages, and his reasoning to interpret the scene depicted on the Novgorod coins differently than: Tolstoi, Chaudoir, Chertkoff, Schubert, Chapskiy, Spassky, Gaidukov and Zaitsev?

i do not have on hands chernetsov, that is why i asked if you have, the only way i can get it and take a look on various description and interpretation of novgord dengas, if i go to ans library one day; anyway in spassky book under novgorod and pskov minichapter he says that coinmaker was on coin (no confusing with tver denga/pulo), spassky 4th edition, page 93-99; in addtion, my respond was more focused on why an expert asks a forum what is depicted on a traditional russian coin; being here for a while there were few options: just to know what it is, look into references, do internet research, or simply skiping this subject; i just reviewed gaidukov book and he mentioned in respect fedorov-davidon book coins of novgorod pricipality - can be good respond too; i currently do not have one on hands, only his book coins of moscow pricipality :ninja:

p.s. best answer can be obtained from doctor peter gaidukov, do yuo want to prepare shoart question so he can respond?

well,

www.russian-coins.com

All there except the Gangut (I am still working on an update).

Got a Mariage Medal/Ruble to be posted.

P.S. I know I alternate between Ruble and Rouble. It's to keep Puttan guessing.

So, you finally revealed your identity (somewhat) ;)

Many years ago, when there was very little related to Russian coins available on the internet - this site (www.russian-coins.com) was already there :ninja:

Archived