CoinPeople.com

nasty scam artist

LostDutchman

Hey gang! One of my customers came in yesterday with a coin he had purchased on e bay. He spent nearly $1,100 on it....

i didnt agree with the grade on the holder and then i got to looking at the slab itself... Someone cracked it and put another coin in...

9a4uvt.jpg

15x1oux.jpg

11c5jyo.jpg

5ansz8.jpg

Unfortunately he already left a positive feedback for the transaction. When you are looking at the image in the auction, it seems okay, but then you have the knowledge of the slab being tampered with and it becomes obvious from the appearance of the edges.

Please forgive my rant, but buy the coin, not the stupid slab. If the image sucks, then ask for a better image.

My sympathies to your customer, for a $1100 mistake.

Scottishmoney is right on the money, of course (if you'll excuse the pun :ninja: ) ... what is dangerous about slabs is the false sense of security we get lulled into.

As to the auction images, the closeup of the mintmark certainly looks pretty far away from MS-64 to me.

LostDutchman, thanks for putting up the link so we know to avoid this guy in the future!

The fact that he has left feedback means jack crap in reality, I would very much recommend demanding a refund.

I was ripped off on ebay once and have yet to see a penny to this day, even though I have sued him and won.

Well, I was very very close to leaving a negative for a Canadian seller just today. Paid $12 to have $100 item shipped registered, seller never bothered to communicate with me, dragged their feet, took two weeks to send item, then it comes regular old priority mail that cost a mere $4.60. But I did note the postage SNAFU on the feedback, and apparently several others are too.

Oh the joys of it, I recently recieved some notes in a plain envelope, complained to the vendor and left neutral feedback (The notes were not worth a lot) and he in return leaves me my first Negative saying it was the fault of the postal system and I should have insured the notes, he failed to put any card or backing in the envelope not the post office and he did not insure overseas sales ;):ninja: Of course ebay just gives you the run around when you complain ;)

ps should have said they arrived damaged due to no backing in the envelope LOL

the guy that bought it didn't switch it i can almost guarantee that one.. hes a novice with some deep pockets who likes coins... he got rooked...

From what I can see, comparing the pictures you posted here and the auction pictures, it is the same coin. The obverse has the same streaky patterns in the fields.

After checking the pictures on ebay and the pictures from the Dutchman, I think these are pictures of the same coin. Notice the dark mark on the edge of the obverse at the nine o'clock position, and again on the reverse.

The only difference is the ebay picture does not show a broken slab, and the seller did not advertise the slab as being authentic, nor did he advertise the slab as being intact or cracked. From the front one cannot be positive if either is the case.

In this case, most of us would not have purchased a slabbed coin if the case is cracked even slightly as we know the integrity of the surface of the coin could be compromised. The seller danced around the description rather deftly and did not mention the slab was cracked or completely opened. So we cannot say he was falsely advertising the product, but I do believe he perpetrated a fraud against the buyer.

I am very new at collecting myself, and it did take time to gain the knowledge about slabs and how easily one can be fooled. Fortunately for me, I only buy a slabbed coin if the price is right and the coin would be perfect for my personal collection. I am one of the few who will crack that coin out of the slab to put it in my album. Unless, upon very close inspection, I decide it is really as good as the slab indicates and too perfect for a mere album slot filler.

I for one, will put this seller on my 'do not purchase products' list and find honest and better sellers elsewhere.

And, yes, I have bought cracked slabs for my personal album collection. In my case the seller indicated the slab

was cracked and sold the coin accordingly. It worked out great for me and for the seller. I got a coin that is near perfect for my album, and he/she was able to be rid of a problem coin.

As a matter of fact, while being on coin forums I have gotten to know some dealers who I know will

always do the right thing for their customers. The more I can count our our own fellow coin persons

the less I can look elsewhere than online rip-off vendors.

Okay, I guess I have vented about this quite enough, so I will get off my soapbox and back down to solid earth.

corky

The fact that he has left feedback means jack crap in reality, I would very much recommend demanding a refund.

I agree. And here's a quote from that auction"

" Seller's payment instructions

Must be 100% satisfied or your money back no questions asked. "

Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem to return this item to the seller. Especially if the buyer paid with Paypal.

I was ripped off on ebay once and have yet to see a penny to this day, even though I have sued him and won.

I have received three fake coins on eBay over the years and somehow found ways to persuade the sellers to issue me a refund and take back the bogus coins.

Maybe I have just been VERY lucky but I find if you don't outright accuse people of being crooks usually you can get them to come around. The last seller was a tough nut to crack but eventually his wife stepped in and did the right thing. :ninja:

As a rule I never spend more than $100 on a coin from an unknown seller on eBay. Once I know a person is honest and will allow returns then I'll break out the big bucks.

Oh the joys of it, I recently recieved some notes in a plain envelope, complained to the vendor and left neutral feedback (The notes were not worth a lot) and he in return leaves me my first Negative saying it was the fault of the postal system and I should have insured the notes, he failed to put any card or backing in the envelope not the post office and he did not insure overseas sales ;):ninja: Of course ebay just gives you the run around when you complain ;)

ps should have said they arrived damaged due to no backing in the envelope LOL

...you can always add a 'reply' to your feedback on that sale, on Ebay later....

Archived