CoinPeople.com

METALS

zjemller

CuNi

I've noticed that nickels don't rust. They also are wear resistent. So is CuNi or Ni the best metal for coins. Gold and silver are too soft. Other metals darken easely. So it seems that CuNi is the best metal for coinge. Any toughts?

"Gold and Silver are too soft..." which I don't understand; the softness is what makes the metal more malleable which makes it possible to imprint with such artistic detail and to a much greater level of fineness.

By the way, silver is quite tarnish-proof as well, and gold I believe is completely without this flaw???

Gold is like the honey of metals, it will never go bad!

"Gold and Silver are too soft..." which I don't understand; the softness is what makes the metal more malleable which makes it possible to imprint with such artistic detail and to a much greater level of fineness.

By the way, silver is quite tarnish-proof as well, and gold I believe is completely without this flaw???

Yep. But the expense...

Well put.

For those who don't know, honey is the one and only food that never spoils.

I learned that on a cruise ship when my wife dragged me to a trivia contest.

Well put.

For those who don't know, honey is the one and only food that never spoils.

I learned that on a cruise ship when my wife dragged me to a trivia contest.

Olive oil too.

Back to metals, I think the silver ang gold are the best metals for coinage. Thousands years of real experience proved that!

Olive oil too.

Back to metals, I think the silver ang gold are the best metals for coinage. Thousands years of real experience proved that!

And Twinkies!

They look like a cross between chips and pancakes stuffed with cream...

More like a creme-filled sponge cake. Perhaps completely devoid of nutritional value other than a sucrose rush, they are a delicious morsel of Americana - the junk food icon, and, believe it or not, they have been around for more than 75 years. I wish I had a couple right now!

How Twinkies Work Site

More like a creme-filled sponge cake. Perhaps completely devoid of nutritional value other than a sucrose rush, they are a delicious morsel of Americana - the junk food icon, and, believe it or not, they have been around for more than 75 years. I wish I had a couple right now!

How Twinkies Work Site

They're also good as a defensive strategy in a murder trial:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie_defense

Pure gold is unlikely to go bad, but gold alloyed with other metals (as it often is in coins to strengthen them) will suffer the same chemical reactions as everything else, just less intense. Pure gold CAN be altered as well, but the conditions are difficult to reproduce in surficial temperature and pressure regimes. One place where I would not throw a gold coin is the Champagne Pool, North Island, New Zealand, a hot spring that possess elevated concentrations of dissolved gold and plenty of negatively charged sulfur. The coin's surface would likely be eroded as gold was taken into solution, and end up looking like those silver pieces of eight that come out of shipwrecks.

Archived