CoinPeople.com

Dryspell Areas of Collecting

Scottishmoney

I collect a lot of varied interests, some areas particularly Scottish coinage are of long term and continual interests. Lately I have realised it has been a very long time, probably since about 2000 that I have purchased a rare Scottish coin, a James III Crosraguel Abbey Penny from ca. 1460 which I purchased in a coin show in Windsor Ontario in the summer of 2000. But I consider this collection active, and not really on hiatus, but I really have gotten to a point where material has increased in value in such a fashion that I think thrice before even considering it so that such a gap exists in my acquisitions. Oh how much I desire that nice EF bawbee of Charles II or the EF Mary QoS Ryal of 1567, but probably will never find one I will like or afford myself to purchase such.

17th Century English tokens are something I started acquiring slowly in the late 1990's, and have slowly accumulated 11-12 pieces now, I am picky about condition and what appears on the token, I don't go for the common grocer's arms etc, but rather fascinating depictions of everyday life which fairly much discriminates away about 90% of the material available, then when I prefer everything in at least British defined "Fine" condition it further eliminates possibilities. But at least I have been able to get a piece or two each year that I have been happy with, my most recent acquisition was about 2 months ago with a pub farthing with a raven on it, a neat depiction of an rather scorned bird in modern times but a pest eliminator in the 17th century.

What are your dryspell areas of collecting?

Oh boy, oh boy. Well, I can't remember the last time I bought a coin or note for the pure delight of it. I've bought a few at auction because they seemed like a good deal.

Anywho, everything in recent years has been for a series and have been on the pricier side. So my dryspell area is type coins/notes.

The only time I've added to my collection is through big conventions (where I can find the harder notes/coins in my series) or in auctions. I really really really need to find a nice coin shop in the middle of Iowa this summer (where I'll be working) that I can just walk in and find a nice type coin.

I'm in a dry spell of several months with no high grade Young Head Victorian silvers. The nice ones have been too expensive lately. Victorian silver is all I'm interested in these days, too. Everything else I buy just passes through my hands pretty soon after I get it.

The draped bust heraldic eagle series has been a thorn in my side for years. When I finally finished the 1/2 cent - dollar I realized how mismatched they were. So I decided to upgrade the half, down grade the half cent, and get a nicer struck half dime. Well, since I decided to do those three things, I've accomplished none of them. It seems to prices have gotten to the point of lunacy. So I sit on my mismatched set, hoping to one day make it a little more cohesive. Most likely, I never will, with current prices I would never be able to replace any of them except low grade 1804 half cents, lol.

My 1899-current $1 currency set has also hit a dryspell, I only need the 1917 green eagle and the 1928 redseal, but both have jumped out of my price range at the moment. The 28 red seal especially has hit rediculous prices, Vf examples well over $150 on ebay is commonplace.

Lets see, what else?

Ever set of coins I am working on! Lol...seriously from all everything after the barber coinage I am missing only the key dates, and just like everything else, it's not going to happen anytime soon. I was just quoted a price of $90 for a Vg 1931-S Lincoln.....I shoulda got that Vf for $30 when I had the chance a few years back.

So it's not like I haven't purchased anything lately, I just haven't spent over $30 on a coin in a long time. I think the most expensive thing I purchased lately was a 1908 funf (5) mark, and that was like $18.

So dry? Nah, I am still able to wet my wistle now and then. :ninja:

My 1899-current $1 currency set has also hit a dryspell, I only need the 1917 green eagle and the 1928 redseal, but both have jumped out of my price range at the moment. The 28 red seal especially has hit rediculous prices, Vf examples well over $150 on ebay is commonplace.

Hmm.. type set I presume?

I've been in a dry spell with my Saint set for over a year now, and like anything else, my dry spell tends to be either coins for my type set, or updates for my regular sets (like getting a roll of ASEs, proof and mint sets for the albums etc.). I also like to buy nice Mexican coinage too, mainly 1-peso or 8-reales silver pieces. Lately I've also been buying some foreign coins too, like French and Swiss mint sets, but this seems to be too much for me. I may be close to the edge of selling off a bunch of stuff to get more focus.

Hmm.. type set I presume?

Haha, yes, I guess I should have specified that. I am way too poor to get every series/ sig combination along with star notes! Most of mine are in the G-F range, only my black eagle is Unc.....which is my fav. note, so I'm okay with that, lol. :ninja: And a single example of each type of note issued, with the exception of a 1963 Barr note and a 2003 of the same design.

I have had a steady flow of new stuff in my collection. Both the errorcoins and regular ones. The only thing that is going very slowly, is my medalcollection of the engraver Jules Lagae (a local engraver of whom I've read the biographie). He's from Belgium, but was internationally known. He has made large statues in bronze in Brazil and Argentina. That was very exotic for a farmers son in that era (worked from 1880-1930). A lot of different styles and influences. Made all kinds of art: paintings, statues in different materials (bronze, marble,...) and a small series of medals. Since the other stuff isn't really collectable, I'm restricting my adoration to his medals. Most of them are easy to find, but I seem to have found a slow period in the flow to the marketplace. He has made about 25 different ones, and I only found 2 in the year that I collect them now. That's not really fast enough to my taste, but what can you do? Luckily I have enough other stuff to distract me :ninja:

Jos

US Type Set

Morgan Dollars

ASE

German coinage

A lot of my newer coinage is coming from various countries. My collecting is all over the place right now. But if I had to pick one area I seem to find myself always searching for it would be Lincoln Cents. Always on the lookout for upgrades or new additions.

To many collections of to many different things to even think about it. I have some old cars, little hot wheel car collections, knife collections, sword collections, etc., etc. If not buying a coin, then at a coin show, gun show, knife show, car show, etc. Just never think about when not buying something, it's just fun to spend money when you get old.

I haven't been collecting pre-decimal British Coins for ages now, last time was aroudn August 2006.

I've mainly been going after Empire/Commonwealth coins, especially IOM (difficult to collect seeing as there are so many different varieties, I'm going to start a topic on the varieties later today), Gibraltar, Fiji (If I can get any), British India, The Gambia (yes it has a "The" at the beginning), British Virgin Islands, etc.

Looks like I've hit a major dryspell in every area - the British Victorians that I need to fill out the type set are expensive and I can't find any nice looking ones for a reasonable price; the US Type Set - same reason on the better stuff like early coppers and draped bust pieces (I could buy the modern crap, I suppose, but I'm just not interested); and the Large Cents and Half Cents are getting beyond my price range in the conditions I want.

What a bummer of a topic ;)

:ninja:

Looks like I've hit a major dryspell in every area - the British Victorians that I need to fill out the type set are expensive and I can't find any nice looking ones for a reasonable price; the US Type Set - same reason on the better stuff like early coppers and draped bust pieces (I could buy the modern crap, I suppose, but I'm just not interested); and the Large Cents and Half Cents are getting beyond my price range in the conditions I want.

What a bummer of a topic ;)

:ninja:

But where there is drought somewhere it rains in buckets:

gbpenny1854.jpg

My most recent British acquisition. Notice the neat BEG in the legend instead of REG also.

Archived